Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross clinchers- what is the latest thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cross clinchers- what is the latest thoughts?

I am not a fan of "which tire" threads but....

I do a little cross practice weekly and was in the market for a good set to possibly run tubeless (tubed makes it easier to switch tires)

I have good luck with vittoria, clement and schwalbe (sp?)- was wondering if anyone had a suggestion or thoughts.

Was thinking size wise 700x32 or bigger but not as big 700x40 (have those and they are awesome but a little pokey)

Will have them mounted on I9 wheels

Thank you in advance for your thoughts
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cross clinchers- what is the latest thoughts?

I'm a fan of the WTB cross boss. Good all around tread, thats fast on pavement to get too and from. A little more volume to make up for the fact that they are not tubulars too. PDX front, MXP rear has always worked well for me, But I find it too aggressive for what I need most the time. And they end up wearing too fast. I have a 20 mile round trip to and from practice, and often just leave them on for road/mixed terrain rides. I also use the Challenge gravel grinders (38mm) as practice for chicane use. Plus I dont hate them for hill repeats on the road. Helps you get used to how useless they are for breaking in a straight line I suppose.

The vittoria Terreno Dry and Mix look like they could do it all though. If I try a UCI legal tubeless setup this year, it will be them.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

Sort of interested in this topic as well. I'm not restricted to UCI regulations and have been planning on running tires in the 35mm range for this season.

My research has landed me on the WTB CrossBoss 35 which I plan on running for most of the early-to-mid season when courses tend to be dry, or at worst, wet-grass. For late season when things get sloppy, I'll probably switch over to Kenda Kommando X. Both will be run tubeless.

Curious to see if there are other options out there that I've missed.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like

what are the conditions? wet/muddy/sandy/rooty/dry, etc??

i would be tempted to try compass's latest offering :

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...38-steilacoom/

Post Thanks / Like

I plan to use tubeless Clement PDX tires, also was intrigued by the tubeless Ritchey WCS Shield in 700 x 35c
    -Ben Newell

Post Thanks / Like

Clement PDX have served me well the last season. Similar to Grifos, but no problem with the tread and sidewall separating like on those. They hold up in my short commute to practice at the local park.

Post Thanks / Like

My only concern with the PDX's, while they do hold up better than the MXP's, is the squirmyness on road, if you want to use them for anything other than cross. Also, they are some of the slowest tires ever in thick grass (most cross practice)
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like

PDX are supple, I inflate to 50+ to ride on the road and then deflate for CX practice, then re-inflate to ride home. They are in no way good for your basic all about town CX type rides.

Post Thanks / Like

Grass conditions with road miles every other day...

2nd set of of wheels for one day a week? Swapping a cassette is not a big deal- but rotors can be touchy.

Am I gaining anything by going up in price with something like, for example, Scwhable(sp?)?
    What I am making now:7 sugars.
    Instagram: 7 sugars.

"Nothing is original. Steal from anywhere that resonates with inspiration or fuels your imagination.... Select only things to steal from that speak directly to your soul. If you do this, your work (and theft) will be authentic."
    Jim Jarmusch

Post Thanks / Like

I did some cross last year on the Schwalbe X-One tubeless. They were decent but from my experience, a 33 tubeless tire doesn't have the volume to compete with a 33 tubular. I haven't raced on them but I have the Compass Steilacoom's now. I've used them for some single track and some heavy gravel and been very impressed with them. The additional volume and handling characteristics of the tires is much more confidence inspiring than the Schwalbe's.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like

I am curious about the IRCs. Heard a lot of great things about the "sand" as a file tread, but what about their mud and all-around tires? Wondering how they roll because I'd like to put my wife on tubeless. She likes the security of an aggressive tread but I know she doesn't have a ton of power to spare.

Post Thanks / Like

I think you need to decide whether being a legitimate tubeless ready tire is important or not. If that is required criteria, it will greatly narrow down what you have to choose from.

If tubeless is not important, Challenge and Clement are tried and true options. Run with light tubes and enjoy.

It is pretty hard to do better than a Grifo style tread for a majority of dry conditions.

Post Thanks / Like

What're you using now?

I saw the Riddler 37 in person on Sunday. When my 40c rambler's die I'll likely look to these. I like my 40C Nanos just not on the road. Something of a do everything... some gravel, some CX, some trails...
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

The tubeless Clement MXP's might be a good choice.
    I really like the Clement tubeless cross tires. Set-up well and also have good volume.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shoogs View Post
    What're you using now?
    700x40 x-plormor (sp?)
    They have been great - you feel them on the climbs but the comfort is supreme

Post Thanks / Like

Used those at a HoH one year, it was a down right Cadillac Brougham like ride.

It it were me, I'd get a Rambler/Riddler esque tire that's capable of some Cross and the NYC Velo adventure rides as well. Then again, I'm not racing CX, save a local race or two when handups matter more than results, so YMMV.

I've got some Nano's you could try... I'm off the bike for a bit and wouldn't need them until a CX race came up... so not for a good long while.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Got in my first hard session on Terreno Wet 40s last night. One tire to rule them all for me. Obviously if you need UCI compliance, the 33 or the 31 on a wider rim is where you need to be. But I really liked the grip on all surfaces so far. The only thing we didn't encounter was wet :)

I started at 22 psi set up tubeless on Belgium Plus rims. Too hard. Got down to about 17 and started to feel some squirm. I think 19-20 will be my window. FYI, they measured at 40.8 mm.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zank View Post
    Got in my first hard session on Terreno Wet 40s last night. One tire to rule them all for me. .
    mike - i've got to ask: what made you choose the "wet" version for one to rule them all when they do offer a "mix"?

just curious - i'm about to order some tires myself in the next day or two for some offroad adventuring.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't call 35-40mmish tires cross tires. They are not.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Thomas. I disagree.

Nick, I generally prefer square knobs to arrow patterns. I prefer grip in corners to perceived lower rolling resistance. I really like what Vittoria is doing with siping on a lot of their newer off road treads.

I have a set of the Terreno Dry in 33 tubular that I'll probably mount up for early season. But I have a feeling they will come off quick in favor of Wet 33s.
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr