User Tag List

Thread: Convert Chris King R45 hub from Shimano to Campy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Convert Chris King R45 hub from Shimano to Campy

I have a set of wheels with 11sp Shimano compatible King R45 hubs. What is involved in converting it to Campy 11sp and approximately how much would it cost?

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Convert Chris King R45 hub from Shimano to Campy

you need this kit:

Chris King R45 Shimano to Campagnolo Conversion Kit (Includes Freehub) :: Axle Conversions :: Replacement Parts & Tools :: Wheelbuilder.com

it's very easy to do. it is not cheap. the wheel (i think, it did with 10-sp, maybe not 11-sp?) will need a re-dish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blasphemous as it may sound, I would try it with an 11 speed shimano cassette before you spend money on the conversion parts. I've got a bike with shimano 11 shifters and deraillieurs and a chorus 11 cassette and it shifts really nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Blasphemous as it may sound, I would try it with an 11 speed shimano cassette before you spend money on the conversion parts. I've got a bike with shimano 11 shifters and deraillieurs and a chorus 11 cassette and it shifts really nicely.
    this. why bother with the conversion? all of the 11 speed cassette options are interchangeable. what's that expression? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    this. why bother with the conversion? all of the 11 speed cassette options are interchangeable. what's that expression? Don't look a gift horse in the mouth?
    Thanks for the tip. I forgot the spacing was near identical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the only practical consideration in deciding whether to swap the freehub body is that the Campag design for freehub body and cassette interface is superior to that of Shimano: the sprockets won't dig into the freehub body like that crap Shimano design. (I have had the Shimano version R45 since last year, and it looks worse than the Campag version that's seen almost 10 times as much miles.) Even then, you can just leave the hub as is until the freehub body becomes really tatty and only then swap to the Campag version.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    This. I swap regularly between wheels - one with SR 11-23, one with DA 9k 11-28, one with SRAM Red 11-28. The SRAM shifts like SRAM, which is to say pretty shitty, loud, and clunky. The shifting quality is indistinguishable between the DA and SR cassettes. But the chain reliably hits every cog on all three cassettes just like it's supposed to. And on my wheels on my bikes the cassettes and freehubs between two classic Record hubs (one with a Shimano freehub body, one with stock aluminum Campagnolo) and one DA 9k hub - I only need to adjust the B-tension (or whatever Campy calls it) a bit for the little 23t cog.

To do the math for you, I think you could spend <$100 on an Ultegra cassette, or a minimum of $500 on the CK bits and Campagnolo cassette to make this happen. Current SRAM cassettes have kind of reset the meter, but Campagnolo cassettes have always been hella expensive. And Shimano has just as much smarts as Campagnolo in making gears shift right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I think the only practical consideration in deciding whether to swap the freehub body is that the Campag design for freehub body and cassette interface is superior to that of Shimano: the sprockets won't dig into the freehub body like that crap Shimano design. (I have had the Shimano version R45 since last year, and it looks worse than the Campag version that's seen almost 10 times as much miles.) Even then, you can just leave the hub as is until the freehub body becomes really tatty and only then swap to the Campag version.
    Agreed. My Shimano compatible freehub body on the King R45 hub is a mess - very hard to remove the cassette because it's chewed up. However, is it a design or materials flaw? The freehhub body on my Shimano hubs is perfect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
    The freehhub body on my Shimano hubs is perfect.
    Those freehubs are titanium (DA and XTR) or steel (everything else). Shimano has made one aluminum freehub ever - 7800 - and the design went almost unused, unfortunately. Normal HG splines aren't tall enough to support aluminum freehubs; the reason most higher-end HG-compatible freehubs are aluminum is because no one really cares, and the chewed-up-splines issue almost never results in actual failure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you do go for the King freehub body make sure you get one of the later steel version, not the aluminium ones which all crack.