Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Cold set a 2010 Jamis Aurora Elite 130mm disc frame to 135mm

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cold set a 2010 Jamis Aurora Elite 130mm disc frame to 135mm

Hey everyone, I picked up a used 2010 Jamis Aurora Elite a couple years ago as my daily commuter and it has served me well in that time.

It is a nice frame, Reynolds 631, lots of braze ons, fairly classic styling, and it came with a nice wide 9 speed triple setup for heavy loads. Oh and hey disc brakes. But not the right kind of disc brakes, those weird early road discs with a quick release rear hub spacing of 130mm instead of 135mm. And with the caliper in the wrong spot, but that's fine, rack and fenders still work with spacers.

I'm currently being a cool kid and doing a flat bar + Wald 137 basket conversion on it.

While I got it apart I was considering a new wheel build for it as well. Not that it needs new wheels, and the current hubs are fine and simple cup and cone, I already put new bearings and repacked one of them so they shoud last a while.

But hey - I'm taking the thing apart, building it how I want it, and I want some new wheels. I also want wheels that have normal hub spacing, 135mm for the rear.

What do you experts say to cold setting the rear triangle to 135mm? I've heard it's a simpler task to do on rim brake frames, because on disc frames one stay is usually stiffer than the other so they don't space equally without some extra attention.

Tips? Any recommendations of shops or builders in the DC area specifically? Or just give up and let it lay at 130mm?

Cheers
    Smitty in DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cold set a 2010 Jamis Aurora Elite 130mm disc frame to 135mm

Have you tried putting a 135 width disc wheel in there without resetting anything?

The reason I ask is because you can generally put a 135 wheel in a 130 spaced frame. Just put a hand on each dropout as you pull the axel in with a finger or two from each hand while slightly spreading the dropouts out a tiny bit.
    What I would be looking for is how well the disc can be aligned before resetting anything. As you said, this gets done with rim braked bikes all the time but it is worth checking how it will work with the discs.
    It should be fine. Plus you might find that it goes in fairly easy and you don’t need to reset anything.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    Have you tried putting a 135 width disc wheel in there without resetting anything?

The reason I ask is because you can generally put a 135 wheel in a 130 spaced frame. Just put a hand on each dropout as you pull the axel in with a finger or two from each hand while slightly spreading the dropouts out a tiny bit.
    What I would be looking for is how well the disc can be aligned before resetting anything. As you said, this gets done with rim braked bikes all the time but it is worth checking how it will work with the discs.
    It should be fine. Plus you might find that it goes in fairly easy and you don’t need to reset anything.
    Thanks! I haven't tried putting a 135mm wheel in yet, and unfortunately don't have any from other bikes to try. I did measure the dropout with a caliper to confirm its 130mm and not something like 132.5 that Surly uses to accommodate more hubs.

Interesting comment about the rotor and caliper alignment, I hadn't considered that. I'm running Avid BB7s for my brakes, and they have those conical washers that supposedly allow a greater range of movement on the caliper body when tightening down, so possibly that would reduce the issue.

But I suppose this potential issue is one more reason to just run the hubs I'm using into the ground and forgo a wheelset update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The first road hubs with 130-mm spacing, Dura-Ace 8-speed, came with a rounded nut on the left end of the axle.

This let you pull a 130-mm OLD hub into a 126-mm frame without too much difficulty, or having to spread the dropouts by hand, or futzing with the quick release.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    The first road hubs with 130-mm spacing, Dura-Ace 8-speed, came with a rounded nut on the left end of the axle.

This let you pull a 130-mm OLD hub into a 126-mm frame without too much difficulty, or having to spread the dropouts by hand, or futzing with the quick release.
    Sadly not the case with any 135mm disc hubs that I know of and are readily available