User Tag List

Thread: Carbon Fork with Rack?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Carbon Fork with Rack?

So I want to do some light touring, and am lacking the tools for the job. I will be using my CX bike, which I realize is far from optimal. I have used rear panniers on it before, and wasnt a huge fan of the feeling, and the heel contact. I have read as many of the threads I could find and it seems like no one on here can agree whats best for any bike, never mind a CX bike, so I am just going to do what I want to try. I will eventually have a bike that would be better suited for this, so I'm thinking what will work well then as well.

My question is more structural to do with the carbon fork. The bike is a Trek Ion CX.

I am thinking the Tubus Smarti could fit the bill perfect: tubus - Smarti .

They show it mounting to eyelets aft of the axle, and my fork came with a removable eyelet. I am warry about this mount. Here is an example of it in the rear:

Can anyone think of any problems with this setup? Are the forces going to cause new stresses that could cause the fork to fail?

The other option is to go with something like the Nitto m12, or a quality tubus rear rack. But I think I would rather try the weight low and in the front.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Carbon Fork with Rack?

I think those eyelets are meant to carry mudguards and no real weight.
    Unless you're carring 5kg at the very most, I won't recommend it
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi coś colà dove si puote
    cị che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sean--> Even among bike tourists, ( I count myself as one..) you will find conflicting opinions on the Front/low method vs. other methods; Front/high, Rear, etc.. Some of it depends on the bike design for sure. As to your root question..those eyelets look *to my little eye* like they are fender mounts..as stated already. I wouldn't load them up. I can't comment on the integrity of the entire fork.
    By "light touring"..what are you talking about? I can get a nice 3-day weekend worth of stuff- including some of my food supplies - in a medium-sized Carradice saddle bag and Tubus Fly rea rack with an ancient Kirtland rack-top bag on top that holds lighter stuff. I can add my sleeping sack onto the Tubus if I need it. The saddlebag thing also evokes opinions across the range, so your mileage may vary..but for a 2-3 day ride in temperate weather they can hold a lot of stuff...you only need to additionally stow your sleeping bag if you need one. They don't make the bike feel all weird. Dfiferent for sure..but not scary-weird. To a significant degree..."Normal" is what you get used to.

Best,

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the A-C height on your current fork? Doesn't a $50 Cross Check fork solve your problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Identify what you intend to carry to determine the need for a front rack setup. I toured across the country with a BOB on my cx bike but when I do it again, I definitely don't want a BOB. I met plenty of people doing the trip on bikes without front racks, including one 22 year old doing it on his CAAD3 with just a rear rack and oversized handlebar bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I somehow missed notifications on this thread, thanks for all the tips. Maybe I'll try the tubus fly to start. I really wanted the front rack as the primary rack, to be used without a rear rack with maybe a saddlebag, I'm not really sure why I like the idea of this, it might be mostly mental (and aesthetic).

But, yeah, my primary use would be around 3 days I think, although I need to think harder about what I will actually need to have with me. If I plan to do more, I think it would be the time to go with a bike thats built for the job. The cross check fork might be a good idea, my axle to crown is 40cm, so the length would match up. I didn't think too much about it with my tapered steerer, but I suppose they have adapters for that.

I also have the more short term uses that require racks, like trips to my family and friends when I need a change of clothes and shoes. I also really like the idea of using my bike to check surf spots and have my body surfing fins on the racks, I've done this before and enjoyed it.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget the racks and go with something from these guys.
    Revelate Designs LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I somehow missed notifications on this thread, thanks for all the tips. Maybe I'll try the tubus fly to start. I really wanted the front rack as the primary rack, to be used without a rear rack with maybe a saddlebag, I'm not really sure why I like the idea of this, it might be mostly mental (and aesthetic).

But, yeah, my primary use would be around 3 days I think, although I need to think harder about what I will actually need to have with me. If I plan to do more, I think it would be the time to go with a bike thats built for the job. The cross check fork might be a good idea, my axle to crown is 40cm, so the length would match up. I didn't think too much about it with my tapered steerer, but I suppose they have adapters for that.

I also have the more short term uses that require racks, like trips to my family and friends when I need a change of clothes and shoes. I also really like the idea of using my bike to check surf spots and have my body surfing fins on the racks, I've done this before and enjoyed it.
    If you don't have to carry a lot of stuff, then forget the racks and go for a saddle bag like Carradice.
    They're big enough to hold what you need for 3 days, and look very good especially on classic bikes. They last years and years, too

Richard_Timm.jpg
    Carradice Nelson Saddlebag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just reviewing old threads on saddlebags. Vote of confidence for the Carradice Nelson, it holds alot of "stuff" and suspends from the perfect place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Just reviewing old threads on saddlebags. Vote of confidence for the Carradice Nelson, it holds alot of "stuff" and suspends from the perfect place.
    Carradice bags are simple and reliable.
    No "bells&whistles", but a clever design and good materials that are meant to last decades. It is a different concept from modern bags, yet it works very well.

Some may no like the weight positioned high on the bike.
    It does feel a bit funny at the beginning, but you get used to. Any bike with luggage onto, becomes not good anymore to stand on the pedals, so one has to deal with it. I don't find it a big deal.

Back to the OP, I would fit a front rack with the aim of balancing the bike. It is very true that you can't put all the weight on the back. Actually, I do prefer to leave the light, bulky items on the rear bag (25lt capacity) and the heavy items on the handlebar bag (8lt). Although I travel light, as my weekend setup is sub-7kg including shelter&cooking equipment; I didn't liked it when I rode with a rear bag only, the bike felt "wrong"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gattonero, what do think about Bagman saddlebag supports ?
    With or without the frame bit.

To the OP, you really really want to test ride your setup with enough
    ballast to simulate riding with the load you're planning on carrying.
    Welsh 1 in 4s are not a lot fun when your bike does the snake dance
    when you stand up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use bagman supports with excellent results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pleased this thread came up. I ordered a Carradice Super C and matching Bagman last night for just this very purpose. I was thinking about the Porcelain Rocket bags but this has better carrying capacity and I think might be more stable anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I quite often ride my LOOK carbon bike on longer trips fitted with a removable 'freeload' rack .
    The company that invented them was bought out by THULE a while back so not sure on supply in your neck of the woods.
    I have yet to find a bike it won't fit, even Dual Suspension. Do a search of freeride rack and you'll see the myriad of bikes peeps have used them on.
    And yes, it does stay where you put it even on gnarly dirt tours.
    I have tried it front and rear but usually go rear as i pack it light 'n' bulky stuff on top with a small 20 litre pannier on one side for 2-3 day rides.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Gattonero, what do think about Bagman saddlebag supports ?
    With or without the frame bit....
    I use the Bagman QR with the seat tube support (the current bike does not have bosses), and it works very well. I like it.

But wait a little bit, there's something going on my mind, marine-grade plywood and 3 small adjustable struts, you'll see