User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Campagnolo UT cups question -

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Campagnolo UT cups question -

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Is it only Campagnolo that have the bearings on the axle rather than in the cups? But yeah, why bother with an aftermarket pair of cups? Daft.

On another note, what's your experience with the C-Bear BB with Sram-equipped bikes? If C-Bear are sponsors for your cross team, don't answer the question.
    Not a sponsor.
    We used them in half the bicycles in 2019.
    That'd be six.
    In the conditions we live under, racing, power washing, etc etc and etc, I personally was not able to see a difference.
    There must be one.
    But I'd imagine it's more noticeable on the road, or in lab tests.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Iím pretty sure the Super Record cranks come with Campagnoloís ceramic bearings. It would be downright silly to pull those off and press in somebody elseís ceramic bearings.

I replaced Campagnoloís regular bearings with their ceramic bearings after they failed, but my stuff is so ancient that Ultra Torque was new and Centaur cranks came only in silver (w/ black rings).
    Tawd Hawlen, Private Eye

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    I’m pretty sure the Super Record cranks come with Campagnolo’s ceramic bearings. It would be downright silly to pull those off and press in somebody else’s ceramic bearings.

I replaced Campagnolo’s regular bearings with their ceramic bearings after they failed, but my stuff is so ancient that Ultra Torque was new and Centaur cranks came only in silver (w/ black rings).
    No. The deal with my C-Bear cups is I’d have remove the bearings from my Campagnolo cranks and install them in the alloy cups. They only make the cups for UT not the assemblies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Well that would have been even sillier.
    Tawd Hawlen, Private Eye

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record (!) C-Bear themselves recommend leaving the SR ceramic bearings on the arms when using their BBs. I use C-Bear BBs and am building a bike that will be equipped with SR so I asked the question directly.

Why not just use the Campagnolo cups? Because they don't make them in T47. They do for Ekar but as far as I am aware they're not UT compatible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Why not just use the Campagnolo cups? Because they don't make them in T47. They do for Ekar but as far as I am aware they're not UT compatible.
    I've seen Ekar Pro-tech BBs being retailed as compatible with all UT cranksets. Ekar is also UT, but I don't know if that has significance in terms of compatibility of the BB across all UT cranksets. Perhaps worth talking to your local Campag distributor about it to confirm?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I will do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I will do that.
    Could you please let us know your findings? Just curious. A better sealed BB option without resorting to third party / aftermarket solutions would be interesting.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record (!) C-Bear themselves recommend leaving the SR ceramic bearings on the arms when using their BBs. I use C-Bear BBs and am building a bike that will be equipped with SR so I asked the question directly.

In my case, if I kept the bearings on the SR crank arms, all I’m left with are two black alloy cups (this doesn’t equal a BB) with C-Bear logos. That’s what my road bicycle is equipped with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    In my case, if I kept the bearings on the SR crank arms, all Iím left with are two black alloy cups (this doesnít equal a BB) with C-Bear logos. Thatís what my road bicycle is equipped with.
    Whilst this makes less sense for a threaded BB, I wish the likes of C-Bear, CeramicSpeed, Kogel et al would sell their Campagnolo UT compatible BB shells for other BB formats (BB30, PF30, T47, Colnago T45 etc) without the bearings. Itís not like the bearings they supply are going to be that much better to justify the hassle of swapping out the Campag ones, but it hikes up the price of the BB so much itís *painful*.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Whilst this makes less sense for a threaded BB, I wish the likes of C-Bear, CeramicSpeed, Kogel et al would sell their Campagnolo UT compatible BB shells for other BB formats (BB30, PF30, T47, Colnago T45 etc) without the bearings. It’s not like the bearings they supply are going to be that much better to justify the hassle of swapping out the Campag ones, but it hikes up the price of the BB so much it’s *painful*.
    The first two are listed here: https://www.campagnolo.com/WW/en/Com...atorque_cups_2.

We'll see what Mark finds out about T47 vis-ŗ-vis the Ekar BB compatibility with SR and other UT models.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but they’re not great. I’ve been lucky when I’ve installed them, but they seem to be very hit & miss.

I’m really talking about the latter on my list anyway - it’s AU$350 for a CeramicSpeed BB for my new C64 (the only company that make a dedicated BB for the Colnago ‘solution’), but most of that cost is a set of bearings that I don’t even need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RichTheRoadie View Post
    Yeah, but they’re not great. I’ve been lucky when I’ve installed them, but they seem to be very hit & miss.

I’m really talking about the latter on my list anyway - it’s AU$350 for a CeramicSpeed BB for my new C64 (the only company that make a dedicated BB for the Colnago ‘solution’), but most of that cost is a set of bearings that I don’t even need.
    On the first point, is that a cup issue or a poorly made BB shell issue, eg, out of round?

On the 'Nago BB, that's just a daft, masturbatory thing for them to do. I take it you now have a C64 at hand, so I guess you're stuck with the problem.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the first point, is that a cup issue or a poorly made BB shell issue, eg, out of round?

On the 'Nago BB, that's just a daft, masturbatory thing for them to do. I take it you now have a C64 at hand, so I guess you're stuck with the problem.
    I read that the Campag BB cups weren’t deep enough to seat correctly and/or stay in place; but I don’t doubt that some of it is/was down to poor spec BB shells.

On the ‘nago BB, you couldn’t be more right. At least now the BB is one unit, though - on the C60 is was a set of screw-in cups that you then pressed in the BB you wanted to use! Adapted adapters. Holy hell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12