User Tag List

Thread: Campagnolo mid compact crankset with 11-32 cassette for NY Hudson Valley Riding?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Campagnolo mid compact crankset with 11-32 cassette for NY Hudson Valley Riding?

It's looking like the Westchester side of the Hudson River is going to be my new home (eventually).
    I've been invited to ride with a few guys in Spooky Hollow and Tarrytown and just from driving around the area
    I can see how hilly it is so my current 10 speed group (53/42 11-25) is not going to cut it.
    I'm liking the Chorus 12 stuff a lot. I really don't like full compact cranks when I'm not climbing but they sure are nifty for going up.
    So I am thinking 52/36 with the 11-32 cassette.. suicide?

Thanks in advance.
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Campagnolo mid compact crankset with 11-32 cassette for NY Hudson Valley Riding?

Sydney is pretty lumpy and I’m currently quite unfit - I ride 52/36 and 11-29 without issue. I rode Ventoux twice on 52/36 and 11-30 with only slightly better fitness.

I reckon you’ll be fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Campagnolo mid compact crankset with 11-32 cassette for NY Hudson Valley Riding?

Quote Originally Posted by Artie View Post
    It's looking like the Westchester side of the Hudson River is going to be my new home (eventually).
    I've been invited to ride with a few guys in Spooky Hollow and Tarrytown and just from driving around the area
    I can see how hilly it is so my current 10 speed group (53/42 11-25) is not going to cut it.
    I'm liking the Chorus 12 stuff a lot. I really don't like full compact cranks when I'm not climbing but they sure are nifty for going up.

Thanks in advance.
    I'm a few counties northwest (Otsego), even hillier, and I'm no powerhouse.
    36X32 low gear will be fine for any road biking in the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks in advance.
    Just a bit further north (Columbia County east of Hudson NY) - I ride Chorus 50/34 with a 12-27 or 12-29. So 36/32 vs. 34/29 = 29.90 vs. 30.95 - yeah, you'll be fine.
    Last edited by j44ke; 09-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't see the point of a 11-32 cassette. I mean I can't see a reason for making one. I can understand why you may buy one if that is all Campagnolo offer. If you are the sort of rider, like me, who needs a 32 how often are you going to use a 11? Bradley Wiggins broke the hour record using 58/14 or 4.14:1. 52/11 is 4.72;1. Even 48/11 is 4.36:1. If you make a 12 speed cassette 11-32 (or 11-34 as they do) most riders will be buying 11 speeds plus an extra inner cog which is never used. Not many of us ride downhill in the professional peloton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love the 11-32. Especially paired with a 52-36 up front. The 36-32 is a great bailout gear for most any climb I'm going to tackle on a trip and the 52-11 lets me pedal down descents at a cadence that's comfortable for a handful of miles. It's also nice to have the bigger gear when mixing it up on the flats, especially when you've got a tailwind.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52/36 with an 11-32 on the Campag 12 speed is pretty tops.

It's a good set up for Westchester and Fairflied counties for a road bike.

You'll be happy, and the new 12 speed stuff is super nice. It closer to 10 speed than 11, in the feel and the fact that it works so well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jacobs View Post
    I can't see the point of a 11-32 cassette. I mean I can't see a reason for making one. I can understand why you may buy one if that is all Campagnolo offer. If you are the sort of rider, like me, who needs a 32 how often are you going to use a 11? Bradley Wiggins broke the hour record using 58/14 or 4.14:1. 52/11 is 4.72;1. Even 48/11 is 4.36:1. If you make a 12 speed cassette 11-32 (or 11-34 as they do) most riders will be buying 11 speeds plus an extra inner cog which is never used. Not many of us ride downhill in the professional peloton.
    Because we are all individuals?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I love the 11-32. Especially paired with a 52-36 up front. The 36-32 is a great bailout gear for most any climb I'm going to tackle on a trip and the 52-11 lets me pedal down descents at a cadence that's comfortable for a handful of miles. It's also nice to have the bigger gear when mixing it up on the flats, especially when you've got a tailwind.
    Yep exactly. Really like my 52/36 11-32 for the bay area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mohawk valley here which is like the Hudson only smaller... around here the road builders said screw it, it's only a mile or so let's just go straight up over. One bike has the 52-36 11-32 and the other regular road gears. Either work but when I want to have the option to ease up a little I take the first one out. Not to mention the guys at no22 made the fastest bike I've ever been on for twisty descents. The mid compact setup though to me is better when you are going up and down and not just droning along the flat by the river. I'll start fishing for that perfect gear then.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@BlackOakVelo View Post
    52/36 with an 11-32 on the Campag 12 speed is pretty tops.

It's a good set up for Westchester and Fairflied counties for a road bike.

You'll be happy, and the new 12 speed stuff is super nice. It closer to 10 speed than 11, in the feel and the fact that it works so well.
    Great to hear! I should bring it to Black Oak Velo for the build up.
    Artie Deianni

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great to hear! I should bring it to Black Oak Velo for the build up.
    You totally should! Justin's shop is awesome. Really awesome.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW I slap synthetic brake caliper glide pin-grease around bearings -outside and inside. Just to keep the water out. Car part store has it.