Thread: Campagnolo 11-speed cassette question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Campagnolo 11-speed cassette question

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    It should go right on that freehub and not have any movement side to side. There are a few different lockrings, did your cassette come with the one you're using? Can you compare the Super Record cassette to another campy 11 speed cassette?
    I am using the lockring that came with the new 11-speed cogset. I could put another 11-speed cassette on to compare if needed.
    Further info: the cogs are not moving on the splines of the freehub. the cogs and splined part of the freehub, are moving as a rock-solid unit on a silver colored piece that is just smaller in diameter than the splined freehub proper. They all rotate as a unit on the hub body. The silver piece that the freehub is moving on, seems too large in diameter to be the axle itself but I cannot get a caliper in that tight space to measure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    I'd say that those Nucleons are toast and that you need to send them my way so that they can live out their remaining days on a steel bike.
    I was just about to do this and then I remembered I still own some steel bikes of my own. I'll contact you immediately if that situation changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Rendeiro View Post
    I am using the lockring that came with the new 11-speed cogset. I could put another 11-speed cassette on to compare if needed.
    Further info: the cogs are not moving on the splines of the freehub. the cogs and splined part of the freehub, are moving as a rock-solid unit on a silver colored piece that is just smaller in diameter than the splined freehub proper. They all rotate as a unit on the hub body. The silver piece that the freehub is moving on, seems too large in diameter to be the axle itself but I cannot get a caliper in that tight space to measure.
    The freehub rides on two cartridge bearings on a larger portion of the axle. A left handed thread nut holds the freehub up against the hub body. That nut might have loosened or you could have bad bearings in the freehub. To get the freehub off, you remove the skewer, put an allen wrench in the non drive side and use a wrench to remove the nut on the drive side. Righty loosy, lefty tighty, opposite of normal. Do this to check it tight too. I've had freehub bearings fail before, but they just seized up and never felt loose.

Before you do any of that, try another cassette.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks--It did turn out to be a loose retaining nut for the freehub body; it is appropriately tight now. It is a testament to the robustness of that system, that it ran for over 400 miles without issue, while having several millimeters of freedom to move sideways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Rendeiro View Post
    Thanks--It did turn out to be a loose retaining nut for the freehub body; it is appropriately tight now. It is a testament to the robustness of that system, that it ran for over 400 miles without issue, while having several millimeters of freedom to move sideways.
    Good to hear. Glad it was just a loose nut. Freehub bearings aren't the easiest to replace.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Resurrecting this thread as I’m trying to do exactly the same thing - 11sp cassette on older Nucleon tubulars. I used a 1mm spacer and locked the derailleur out of the 12 as the chain does touch the dropout every few rotations. Anyone have the 0.5mm spacers handy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since they're slowly moving away from their long-sed FTS-L freehub type, get one or two of them "Mavic ED11 Cassette spacer" (part n.10603401) while you can.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep that’s exactly the spacer I need, but stock in the US is non-existent; even my LBS can’t source them through their distribution chain. I did find a UK shop to ship me a 3-pack, but many stated they could not ship Mavic parts to the US. Hopefully arrives in a few days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the Mavic spacer did the trick. I had to file away a teensy bit of the inside diameter to make it fit over the Campy freehub body, but all is good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12