User Tag List

Thread: Bicycle Fitters > Vsalon-Worthy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bicycle Fitters > Vsalon-Worthy

This is a good place to give some love to folks who do the good work. If you are searching for someone to help you just ask, I'll start.

I'm looking for a Vsalon-worthy fitter in the Roanoke, Va area. TIA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bicycle Fitters > Vsalon-Worthy

Find a shop committed to a proper and rigorous fitting method, a shop where multiple employees are trained to do that. I've had excellent results with people from Signature in CT (and NYC before it disbanded), and now Justin has his own shop at Black Oak Velo.

I think the starting premise at places like this is that the bike has to fit properly, and not every shop buys into that, or they only have one person who knows a little bit about fitting. Just because there's a size cycle tucked away in the corner of the shop doesn't mean they know how to use it or how to optimize the measurements to build a great riding bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This has the potential to be a very useful thread. Thanks TT.

If it makes sense to add, from those with direct experience, the fit philosophy of the particular fitter that's being recommended, it might be extra helpful. For example, there's a very experienced and popular fitter here in Portland who fits everyone as if they're riding a hybrid. Full Stop. Great for someone who might be into touring or just wants a well fitted bike for around town but if you send a racer to him you're going to get some weird numbers and have just wasted the customers time and money. The opposite is true for another fitter who will put them in the most aggro position possible always. Every fitter I've ever used has a bias, and it's helpful to be aware of that bias going in.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right on Sean.
    Yep, I hope we will names names here. The good people are hard to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best fit and fit education I ever got was from Brian Hughes at Fast Splits in Newton, MA. He is mainly known for Triathlon fit and it was during my tri period that I first worked with him, but he really solved some persistent issues that had nearly forced me off the bike. He really helped me understand the "why" of how to get set up comfortable and efficient.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
    Winston Churchill

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the Seattle Area I had a great experience with Erik Moen. I know the racers like him and he did an excellent job helping me find comfort for brevets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had my fit checked at Adams Avenue Cycles in San Diego, very nice setup and knowledgeable folks. I was handed beers while I was being fit, I think it helped me relax into my position. I ended up swapping the stem on EMMA and it was much better.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuth View Post
    In the Seattle Area I had a great experience with Erik Moen. I know the racers like him and he did an excellent job helping me find comfort for brevets.
    I was coming into this thread to make this same recommendation.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    If it makes sense to add, from those with direct experience, the fit philosophy of the particular fitter that's being recommended, it might be extra helpful. For example, there's a very experienced and popular fitter here in Portland who fits everyone as if they're riding a hybrid. Full Stop. Great for someone who might be into touring or just wants a well fitted bike for around town but if you send a racer to him you're going to get some weird numbers and have just wasted the customers time and money. The opposite is true for another fitter who will put them in the most aggro position possible always. Every fitter I've ever used has a bias, and it's helpful to be aware of that bias going in.
    This is an example of someone not focusing on the interview and learning process in what a client is looking for. This is more than half of the part. The actual, on the size cycle fit part is relatively quick for most folks, it's the fact finding and learning the use and needs that is the attention missing from so many fits.

The application of said bike and desired use, want, need is so much of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Justin@BlackOakVelo View Post
    This is an example of someone not focusing on the interview and learning process in what a client is looking for. This is more than half of the part. The actual, on the size cycle fit part is relatively quick for most folks, it's the fact finding and learning the use and needs that is the attention missing from so many fits.

The application of said bike and desired use, want, need is so much of it.
    Yes and no. What I think it really comes down to is the personal experience of the pro doing the fitting. In an ideal world, what should happen is the fitter should say, "look, I've never raced a crit, or been on a mountain bike but I've been riding excruciatingly long distances while touring for nearly 40 years. If you want an aggressive position, that's out of my wheelhouse." I do something similar every time someone asks me for a tri bike. I can read geometry charts of the popular bikes now but I have zero experience with them and state that plainly to a potential customer and usually send them to someone else. If you go to Michael Sylvester looking to get fit on a mountain bike, you're going to get something short and high because I don't believe he has enough time in the saddle on long'n'slack bikes at the limits of front end traction. It's OK though. People can specialize, it's just helpful to know that they specialize so informed decisions can be made.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly Sean, good stuff. That's why we are here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have two recs:

NYC Area: Happy Friedman at the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC. https://www.hss.edu/rehab-staff_Freedman-Happy.asp
    He's great for folks that are really injured, have some physical abnormalities or have "unsolvable problems." He's been instrumental in helping me ride w/out pain.

Los Angeles: Lauren Mulwitz - Dialed In. She's just really good at what she does and doesn't require you to sell your Bugatti for a few hours.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoCycles View Post
    Yes and no. What I think it really comes down to is the personal experience of the pro doing the fitting. In an ideal world, what should happen is the fitter should say, "look, I've never raced a crit, or been on a mountain bike but I've been riding excruciatingly long distances while touring for nearly 40 years. If you want an aggressive position, that's out of my wheelhouse." I do something similar every time someone asks me for a tri bike. I can read geometry charts of the popular bikes now but I have zero experience with them and state that plainly to a potential customer and usually send them to someone else. If you go to Michael Sylvester looking to get fit on a mountain bike, you're going to get something short and high because I don't believe he has enough time in the saddle on long'n'slack bikes at the limits of front end traction. It's OK though. People can specialize, it's just helpful to know that they specialize so informed decisions can be made.
    I respectfully disagree with this sentiment. You don't need to be an expert participant in a sport to assist in technology and technique is said sport. The guys who design motocross suspension aren't pro racers, the folks who coach pro athletes in all areas aren't necessarily ex-pros in said sport.

What you do need to do is be versatile, educated, willing to learn, and listen to your customers needs and deliver on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't seen anyone in Chicago in a long time but want another fit. Any salon worthy recommendations in the area?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in Chicago

Adam@getagripcycles.com

Very much agree with Justin and hava a similar approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If youíre anywhere remotely close to Boulder, you should see Jason Williams at Speciaized Boulder/Retul. Iíve worked with a lot of fitters over the years as a mechanic and as a rider and Iíve never known anyone who gets it so right from start to finish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Drake at Tangent Cycles in Asheville, NC is great. I'd only met John once before my fit, so I hadn't picked him because of any scene of friendship of allegiance, but because he'd come recommended to me by several riders I know that are fussy and exacting about their bike fit. Before John ever looked at my bike, or took his first measurement, we talked about my cycling life. He took a history of my sporting, medical, and injury life that rivaled anything that a physician has ever done. I've had several other fits, with some great and terrible results, but John's was different in the amount of time that he took to make sure that it was right (by the science) and right to me (by the feel.) During my fit John hid nothing from me. There was no "black magic" that he was unwilling to share. He explained the hows and whys of my position and he showed me slight differences that could be made all while explaining how they'd effect by power, comfort, handling, and aerodynamics (For the record, I have all the aerodynamics of a brick on my best day.) John even spent an extra 20 minutes with me on the placement of my STI levers as I've always had braking and shifting issues due to the combined factors of having tiny rat claw hands and a college rugby injury that makes my right wrist relatively immobile After the physical process of the fitting John and I went over the data he'd collected and he prepared a digital file that i could reference later. Two years on and with some very minor tweaks and I'm still 100% with the fit.

In addition to his fitting services John is a great mechanic and did some work on my bike while I was in the shop. He's as fussy about getting bikes working right, as he is about getting your body right on the bike. Oh, and he roasts his own coffee, so there's a chance that you might score a great cappuccino while you're in the shop.
    "I think I know what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers."