Likes Likes:  0

Thread: BB86 installation

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default BB86 installation

Since I'm overhauling my di2 groupset, I pulled the bottom bracket (BB86) on my BMC SLR01 so I can rewire the group. Anyway, I decided to go with an alloy shell BB86 instead of the shimano one. For those of you that have replaced you pressfit BB, do you just use grease or loctite (609, 640, 641, etc)? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: BB86 installation

Carbon shell?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The entire thought behind putting plastic around the bearing was to loosen the tolerance for the frame. The plastic cups can deform to the shell much more than an aluminum part. This allows for a much more practical tolerance than BB30 which essentially has a bearing bore designed into the frame, a part that needs +/-.0005 or smaller tolerance. Perhaps it's better in practice than it is in theory though.

If somebody has repetitive good results with these aluminum sleeved press fit systems I'd love to hear about it. Certainly seems like a big step in the wrong direction to me. Of course you could say that about press fit BB's in general though.

To make the best out of this though I would say some sort of bearing retaining compound is required, 609 has worked well for me in the past and it's what I keep around and use by default unless something else is specified. Carbon frames often require a primer though. FSA has probably the best trouble shooting guide hidden on their site somewhere. Or you can do what I do and just call them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Carbon shell?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by abbeyQ View Post
    The entire thought behind putting plastic around the bearing was to loosen the tolerance for the frame. The plastic cups can deform to the shell much more than an aluminum part. This allows for a much more practical tolerance than BB30 which essentially has a bearing bore designed into the frame, a part that needs +/-.0005 or smaller tolerance. Perhaps it's better in practice than it is in theory though.

If somebody has repetitive good results with these aluminum sleeved press fit systems I'd love to hear about it. Certainly seems like a big step in the wrong direction to me. Of course you could say that about press fit BB's in general though.

To make the best out of this though I would say some sort of bearing retaining compound is required, 609 has worked well for me in the past and it's what I keep around and use by default unless something else is specified. Carbon frames often require a primer though. FSA has probably the best trouble shooting guide hidden on their site somewhere. Or you can do what I do and just call them.
    I think just to be safe I'm going to take this advice and use some retaining compound to avoid any future creaks. I'm just afraid that it'll be impossible to remove down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for myself and the bikes I work on, a carbon shell will get some sort of friction paste or Ultra Grey.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by uncrx2003 View Post
    I think just to be safe I'm going to take this advice and use some retaining compound to avoid any future creaks. I'm just afraid that it'll be impossible to remove down the road.
    Most bearing retaining compounds are heat sensitive. warm it up to 400* and it'll turn into lube. Even letting it bake on the asphalt on a hot day can ease things up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With an Alu BB shell, I use very light grease with these BB86 CUPS - FOR ALLOY CRANKSETS. On my 3rd set of cups/bearings at 3,000 miles, they get crunchy quick. However, I ride in the rain/salt and offroad (streams/mud/etc). Not too keen on this press-fit technology...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I almost always grease press-fit installations. Makes it slide-in easy, prevents corrosion, prevents creaks.... what's not to like?
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gattonero View Post
    I almost always grease press-fit installations. Makes it slide-in easy, prevents corrosion, prevents creaks.... what's not to like?
    I installed it last night. Decided to use a smudge of loctite 640. No way in hell this thing will creak in the near future.