Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Back-compatibility: Campagnolo Ultra torque 11 speed crankset

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Back-compatibility: Campagnolo Ultra torque 11 speed crankset

Are 2015+ Campagnolo 11 speed Chorus cranksets back-compatible with early production run (2009) Campagnolo 11 speed front derailleurs etc. i.e. are chain lines/ chain ring spacings consistent? And, are the ultra torque cups for 2015+the same as on 2009 cranksets or will they need modernization?

Looking to replace 2009 Chorus 11 crankset with a newer one, as replacement Campagnolo chainrings for this vintage are seemingly impossible to find, and I do not want to use T.A. or other chainrings.

George Eden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Back-compatibility: Campagnolo Ultra torque 11 speed crankset

Having poured over the tech documents, chainline for 2009 is 43.5mm, so same as 2015+ chainline. The question about the cups remains. Are BSA style UT cups for 2009 the same as for 2015+ ?

George Eden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe the cups are the same.

I have a bike with a new 11s Centaur crank combined with a pre-2015 drivetrain (Chorus 11 shifters, Athena derailleurs). The front shifting with this set up is really good; far better than the 2011 Record crank I had on the bike previously.
    Last edited by darkmother; 3 Weeks Ago at 04:31 PM. Reason: clarity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary_George View Post
    Are 2015+ Campagnolo 11 speed Chorus cranksets back-compatible with early production run (2009) Campagnolo 11 speed front derailleurs etc. i.e. are chain lines/ chain ring spacings consistent? And, are the ultra torque cups for 2015+the same as on 2009 cranksets or will they need modernization?

Looking to replace 2009 Chorus 11 crankset with a newer one, as replacement Campagnolo chainrings for this vintage are seemingly impossible to find, and I do not want to use T.A. or other chainrings.

George Eden
    if you can stomach the looks of the new Campag cranksets, then yes the BB cups have never changed sizing for the Ultra-Torque (the Power Torque ones have the same OD for the bearings but those are +1mm thicker, so the cups are deeper too), the only difference has only been that the original silver ones would have the anodizing flaking off relatively easy, so they were changed to that bronze-ish colour.
    The black S.R. cups would fit any other U.T. crankset, but bear in mind that they have no seal in their inner side (because the S.R. crankset has ceramic bearings) so you better use a sleeve in between the two cups, one from a Shimano HT2 works wonders (use the Mtb one if you have Italian BB shell).

Btw, the new cranksets are a bit odd to remove the chainrings, almost always you'll have to remove the inner before removing the outer.
    And the older U.T. cranks you can use the Over-Torque chainrings, usually have code "FC-COxxx".
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

another "yes" from me. i've got a 2015+ Chorus crank on my otherwise 2012 Chorus group.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After digging around some more on the www, it seems that appropriate post-2011 110 bcd chainrings MIGHT work on 2009-2010 Campagnolo Chorus CT cranksets if the fasteners are swapped out. Original spec are nuts and bolts (FC-SR100 kit) whereas post-2011 are nuts that seem to thread directly into the inner ring (FC-SR200 kit).

Does anyone have experience with this fastener swap?

George Eden

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary_George View Post
    After digging around some more on the www, it seems that appropriate post-2011 110 bcd chainrings MIGHT work on 2009-2010 Campagnolo Chorus CT cranksets if the fasteners are swapped out. Original spec are nuts and bolts (FC-SR100 kit) whereas post-2011 are nuts that seem to thread directly into the inner ring (FC-SR200 kit).

Does anyone have experience with this fastener swap?

George Eden
    Yes, the original inner chainrings FC-SR0xx would use the FC-SR100 (or FC-AT300, male&female) bolts and are hard to find, so you can use the later ones FC-SR1xx with threaded holes and FC-SR200 (male-only) chainring bolts. In this case the outer chainring is what I said above (FC-CO0xx). Is not a good idea to match later chainrings FC-CO0xx to earlier inner rings FC-SR0xx whatever the bolts are used.

In a nutshell: outer and inner chainring have to match, but that is not a novelty whatever brand we're talking of. So depending on the inner chainring, you will have to use either male&female or male-only bolts (and matching outer chainring).
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Thank you for the confirmation, clarification and sage advice.

George Eden