User Tag List

Thread: Am renting a bike but bringing my pedals ... lube advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Am renting a bike but bringing my pedals ... lube advice

Like the title says, am renting a bike in Europe, but bringing my pedals. Unsure of what tools are available where I am going, so thinking of pre-lubing the threaded portion of spindles with wax-based lube (White Lightning) rather than bringing a tube of grease over (I do not travel light as it is!). Just worried about getting them off after a week or so, without having to source a pedal wrench at my destination. Bringing a 15mm long- handled cone wrench to minimize weight and hoping this is sufficient as a proxy.

Any glaring mistake being made here? Just asking for feedback, 'cause I tend to overthink things ..... thnx

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Am renting a bike but bringing my pedals ... lube advice

Good news! Pedal wrenches and lubricants will likely be plentiful at your destination.
    You could pack a double-ziploc bag of grease shoved inside a cycling shoe if desired.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They'll probably have grease enough where you're going, but the last time I needed to do this I stuffed the threads of my pedals with Phil grease and packed them in a ziploc bag. Worked a treat. Doesn't take all that much.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments ... it's just that 8+ hrs of time zone change, so that chances of me being AWAKE at the hotel to receive the bike is pretty small. Just looking out for the little niggles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you need your saddle, too?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do not require saddle as bike is spec'd with something that agrees with me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I travel with my S&S bike (pedals come off for packing) I don't typically add any grease to the threads if it's just a short trip. I've never had an issue with a pedal seizing and have always installed/uninstalled with a multi-tool hex wrench. I think the large 15mm wrench is overkill, pedals don't need to be crazy tight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, strongly doubt pedal spindles will seize over such a short time. If you are panicked about it, just smear with vaseline or some other goop. Most rental bikes (in my experience) have more than enough lube leftover on the threads of the crank anyway. And do actually you need a 15mm wrench? What sort of pedals? Most of them now go on and off with a 8mm hex wrench. None of the ones in our house (Look, Shimano SPD & SPD-L, Crank Brothers) even have wrench flats on the axle to handle a 15mm wrench.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't worry about it. When I've done this, the mechanic at the shop renting the bike did the swap, greasing the threads, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed with above. You are over doing it. I travel with my bike a lot these days and just use a small multi tool with an 8mm bit for the pedals. I can't remember the last time I greased them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wrench flats only. Old Campagnolo Pro-fit pedals. Still spin as smoothly as the day they came out of the box!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calgary_George View Post
    Wrench flats only. Old Campagnolo Pro-fit pedals. Still spin as smoothly as the day they came out of the box!
    Ok, when travel involved pedal wrenches, I bought an inexpensive open-ended 15mm wrench. It wasn't a qualified shop tool, but for travel it was thin, relatively light and did the job. Of course, I tested the fit on the pedals before I bought it. Think I still have it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.... hence the 15mm long handled cone wrench in post #1 ...

I will not bother with bringing lube and rely on the residue on the cranks, to save a potential mess in my suitcase. Last time I traveled, the airlines managed to break my helmet while it was in a soft sided suitcase!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i travel a lot, either with my S&S bike or renting. my general rule is that if i'm someplace that can rent me a decent bike, and i'll need it for less than 3 days, i rent, otherwise i bring my bike for extended riding.

ALWAYS bring my own pedals and wrench. relying on the shop to install your pedals means needing a "mechanic" available, and that sometimes presents delays. it sounds like you're checking luggage, so it wont be an issue, but beware that you're unlikely to board a plane with a longer handled pedal wrench in carry-on luggage. i always just hang my helmet off my carry-on and stick in in the overhead when i travel, easiest way to go.

forget about lubing the pedals. the residual stuff on the threads is more than enough. i keep pedals in a small ziplock sandwich bag to keep the residual grease off the rest of my gear.

other things to think about if renting a bike while traveling:

- definitely bring a multi-tool. as mentioned above, dont rely on the shop to have someone available to set your saddle height and setback + bar height and angle. these may need tweaking on the road anyway as you get used to a foreign bike. have a small tool and be ready to do that yourself.

- if you use a garmin or whatever, bring a spare mount that attaches with the rubber band stuff. easy to mount to the bars in a couple seconds.

- bring your own mini pump. rental bikes sometimes come with a saddle bag fix kit, but it often sucks, and is incomplete, with used co2 carts, etc. having your own unlimited source of air is a nice thing.

- on the note above, make sure you are happy with the pressure in the tires before you leave the shop and their shop pump is available to you.

-i dont know who you are travelling with, and by what methods, but bear in mind, many rental cars in europe may be smaller than you are used to, just do the mental math of how you will fit your luggage, passengers and bike in any car you will take before you go. ask me how i know...

just passing on some tips i learned over the years!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the sage advice. I agree whole-heartedly with carrying a multi-tool and pump. I will not ride without either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: travel pumps. I bought a Specialized Air Tool Compak. Best $100 gift certificate I ever spent. Seams bulky, but I pack the case with other things and once you get where you are going, having a nice floor pump is a great thing. Looks to me a bit like a sniper rifle when packed up, but so far TSA hasn't yanked it.

Last edited by j44ke; 18 Hours Ago at 08:42 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Re: travel pumps. I bought a Specialized Air Tool Compak. Best $100 gift certificate I ever spent. Seams bulky, but I pack the case with other things and once you get where you are going, having a nice floor pump is a great thing. Looks to me a bit like a sniper rifle when packed up, but so far TSA hasn't yanked it.

I've been eyeing that Spec travel pump for a while now. Last time we flew I pumped up four road tires using a Topeak RoadMorph, and wound up with blisters on both hands!
    Just need to convince myself I can get that Spec to fit in the S&S case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a Briggs and Riley suitcase that has a center space between the molded tubes for the retractable handle, and the pump & case fits perfectly in there. I fill the extra space in the case with tubes, hex wrenches, torque key, chain tool, small bag of cables/parts, etc. The handle of the pump itself has thread off ends so you can stash a few more things in there.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books