Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All Rounder Road Brakes - Center Mount or Direct Mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default All Rounder Road Brakes - Center Mount or Direct Mount

A while back I put my name in on a Geekhouse Deerfield ...I'm planning building it up as an all rounder. Typical riding is dirt/gravel roads with marble sized pebbles and crushed limestone/sandy gravel . So I don't really need to run anything more than a 38 (worst case scenario)currently running the Challenge Gravel Grinder 38c my Cross bike and, I generally find them to be overkill. That being said, I'm thinking I'll typically use the Compass 32 or 35c tires or the Jack Brown and then swap out wheels/tires for something burlier as necessary.

Anyway long story short, I like the Paul Racers and Racer Ms but am leery of going with dedicated mounts on a frame. The other option is to go with normal center mount brakes set up for longer reach road brakes e.g. Shimano BR600 or the fancier TRP ones. I'm kind of a lightweight at around 140lbs so I don't need to stop a whole lot of mass but like the confidence a nice brake inspires.

Do the advantages of the direct mount centerpulls outweigh the versatility of having a bike that can run more brake options?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: All Rounder Road Brakes - Center Mount or Direct Mount

Assuming you've ruled out discs (because that's the wave that's coming) I don't see any reason not to throw the idea of linear brakes or cantis into the mix. I'm perfectly happy with wide stance cantilevers on the bike I use for those rides, plus they have tons of space for fenders. But maybe I'm just being contrarian, I'm like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the disc wave is coming...and maybe its the way to go for a new bike.

I kinda ruled out the wide canti's I've got a set of the Paul Neo Retros on the Indy Fab Planet X and the fork chatter is annoying (I've tried different pads, different cross over cable lengths, toe in adjustements etc.) doesn't happen all the time but don't care for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't wish to speak for anyone, but as neat as those Paul Racers look, I've heard mixed reviews. If I weren't a disc rider for this kind of bike, I'd go for the long reach Shimano calipers I think. They're what I have on my Hampsten single speed and they seem to have gobs of extra room for pretty big tires, though I can't say how big. But the brakes are strong with no shudder or squeal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I was speccing my Zanconato out, Mike told me he preferred the center mounted brake because the CNC mount was more precise than the direct mounts. He offered to do the direct mount but I just told him to do his thing.

I'm very happy with mine. They are a bit more fiddly than side pulls but the power and modulation are great.

At some point I'll go to discs but not until things get sorted out more spec-wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the shimano's and like them

Mad tire is about a 35

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have post mount Racer Ms on my Potts and they are fabulous, however, I'm 240# and live in a very hilly car infested area so 50-0 is important. One has to accept all the cable routing challenges involved with center-pulls, it's not trivial to set them up right in an aesthetically pleasing way. They have tons of adjustability which can also result in tons of variability if the setter upper isn't persistent (much like cantis). I also have a bike with Mini-Moto mini-Vs, similar power with less modulation and far less clearance. If you are serious about running true 38s (Compass Barlow Pass) you should verify which mid-reach brakes will actually provide sufficient clearance, I'm not sure mini-Vs or mid-reach dual pivots (Shimano, TRP, VO) will. Racer-Ms easily clear 38s if the posts are mounted correctly, but since my bike with Mini-Motos will only fit 32s and can't speak to that brake's max clearance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Direct mount is pretty cool looking and I think if it was for bike number 5 or 6, I'd go for it. I've got BR 650s on my All Rounder and can put 35s easy in there. If I was buying brakes now, I think I'd get Gran Compe center pulls with the cables-in-the-air levers. (I think they leave more room for fenders.)
    Last edited by classtimesailer; 09-03-2015 at 04:31 PM. Reason: fender think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good question/debate.

I went with Racers and like them.

one slight downside I see is I seem to need to re-toe them more often than other brakes (about every 4 months or so, riding 6hrs a week or so).
    they start to squeal if not toed in/dialed in correctly.

make sure your cable stops are on your downtube if you go with center pulls (so housing/cables don't get in way when you turn the bars aggressively like when you are walking it and turning around on a sidewalk or what not)
    "Beauty is the visible expression of man's pleasure in labor."—Frederic Goudy

Dave Wofford . | . H O R S E . & . B U G G Y . P R E S S
    graphic design, letterpress printing, fine press books and more . . . for the jet age and beyond.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went with center mount med racers. I think center mounts are the prudent way to go. The braking was very good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wofford View Post
    good question/debate.

I went with Racers and like them.

one slight downside I see is I seem to need to re-toe them more often than other brakes (about every 4 months or so, riding 6hrs a week or so).
    they start to squeal if not toed in/dialed in correctly.

make sure your cable stops are on your downtube if you go with center pulls (so housing/cables don't get in way when you turn the bars aggressively like when you are walking it and turning around on a sidewalk or what not)
    Are you running Racers or Racer Ms ? I have not experienced this with my post-mount M's, but did ditch the stock thinline pads in front right off the bat. My Mini-Motos with thinlines do require aggressive cleaning/de-glazing periodically to eliminate squealing (I do not like Kool-Stop Thinlines in front).

Great suggestion on DT stops. Also, decide what path you want to go with front cable hanger. You'll need to allow some stack height beneath the stem and choose a stem angle that permits an acceptable housing bend or noodle clearance. No slammed -17° stems with centerpulls, unless the stem is drilled. Cleaner options are the Ritchey CX headset or the Speedvagen Enve stem, each with integrated hanger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These mixed reviews are making me wary of switching my perfectly fine tektro calipers for new to me center mount racer m's. Though I am heartened by joosttx's good review, as mine were his.
    Nash Taylor - Oakland CA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    These mixed reviews are making me wary of switching my perfectly fine tektro calipers for new to me center mount racer m's. Though I am heartened by joosttx's good review, as mine were his.
    Change the pads yo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nash View Post
    No mixed review from me, Racer M's are the best rim brake I've ever used. By a long shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be cautious about using any centerpull brake. Their cable pull method is so similar to cantilevers that I'd be concerned they would chatter, too. Do your homework before you choose. I've never had V-brakes chatter, and oddly enough, same with cantilevers on my Bridgestone mountain bike.

Also, be sure the brakes you choose will open wide enough to accept your widest tire of choice. While my Shimano long reach dual pivot brakes have plenty of power, I question whether they could open wide enough to pass a 38mm tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked the Racer M's when I had them. Spend some time on the set up to get the pad placement and toe-in really dialed in, and you'll see. Great braking. I sold them because they were completely overkill for me. Gravel here is usually 75% broken glass, so I tend to avoid it. And you really don't want to ride through the mud, because it is actually "mud" not mud.

Just to throw a curve here, my wife has TRP 8.4 Mini-V's on her converted Sirrus. I think those things are pretty terrific too. Work really well with Shimano levers. No squeal or shudder that I've seen. And she's using them on a Kinlin 20mm wide rim.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never had any chatter with mine. I had TRP CX9s and while they are powerful the Pauls' modulation is way better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

flat or post mount.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racers and Racer M's are great in both configurations. There may be some slight performance increase in the post type, but the center mount type work so well (in a non-proprietary mount that is silly simple to set up) it's hard to argue against the center mount.

For less reach than the Racer, I also like the TRP RG597.

I own both, and both stop me well and as intended.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine are the straight up Racers.

good call on thinking about this...

"Also, decide what path you want to go with front cable hanger. You'll need to allow some stack height beneath the stem and choose a stem angle that permits an acceptable housing bend or noodle clearance. No slammed -17° stems with centerpulls, unless the stem is drilled. Cleaner options are the Ritchey CX headset or the Speedvagen Enve stem, each with integrated hanger.[/QUOTE]
    "Beauty is the visible expression of man's pleasure in labor."—Frederic Goudy

Dave Wofford . | . H O R S E . & . B U G G Y . P R E S S
    graphic design, letterpress printing, fine press books and more . . . for the jet age and beyond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast