Thread: Aesthetics nerd -- help me with cable routing

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Aesthetics nerd -- help me with cable routing

Building up my first disc brake bike, hydro disc, mechanical shift. I'm staring at the cables before I thread the rear hydro line through the entry point on the NDS side of the DT. I've gone through way too many galleries here and I find almost no one posts a head-on shot of the front of the bike, and I'm particularly look for those with disc brakes as the front hose ends up on the NDS side of the fork vs arcing gracefully from the left side of the handlebar to the right side of the fork-mount brake.

Looking at the bike from the front, what is the order of the cable placement? Is it the same as on my road bike (pictured here for reference) or something different? Does the front brake line stay in front of everything as it curves back to the NDS fork leg? This is important stuff to get right! Pics of your bikes are welcome as reference.

Last edited by teleguy57; 05-03-2019 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typos and more info

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Aesthetics nerd -- help me with cable routing

Front Brake
    Rear Brake
    Rear Derailleur
    Front Derailleur

Let the hose come out of a the tape and make a graceful turn back towards the leg. You can go about it two ways from there, really....leave it long and more balanced when looking at it head on, or cut it to proper length and make it favor the NDS. I prefer the latter, let it stay in front of everything, and will post a picture when I get home to my wife's bike.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Assuming you run the rear brake on the right lever it's nice to heat-shrink the two together if you have a single DT entry point.

The front brake routing depends on where the cable stops are on the fork - sometimes behind the others works best, sometimes it's in front.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is set up front brake - rear brake - front der - rear der getting progressively closer to the HT.
    But I let my der cables go to the opposite side from the pic shown above then the cables cross under the DT.
    I think it’s aesthetically best this way, but everyone has their own idea of what looks right.
    The stops and hydro guides will dictate what is best, but I like hydro front brake lines to be in the front as others have stated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, disregard my picture comment. the OEM in-line connectors make the routing less than elegant. if you can handle that and see past it, i'll post a picture.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is my setup. Rear brake hose is routed internally through the downtube. I could have made it a bit shorter. Front hose routing depends a lot on the fork, here it is an enve one.

--
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    well, disregard my picture comment. the OEM in-line connectors make the routing less than elegant. if you can handle that and see past it, i'll post a picture.
    My gravel bike has 685 levers and 785 calipers. They came with line and fittings that I cut to fit, filled, and bled. If for no other reasons than aesthetics, can you substitute cut to fit instead of using the OEM connectors?
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My gravel bike has 685 levers and 785 calipers. They came with line and fittings that I cut to fit, filled, and bled. If for no other reasons than aesthetics, can you substitute cut to fit instead of using the OEM connectors?
    yeah, i just didn't want to mess with it. team bike, garage, short on time...i'll fix it later on after the season.
    -Dustin

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very helpful folks. I think I'm ready to cut... gulp.

Rear hose is fully internal through DT, BB and NDS CS. T47 BB with Argonaut Campy cups and sleeve. Framebuilder (Erik Rolf) trimmed a section out of the sleeve to allow a better routing but I literally spent several hours getting the sleeve positioned in the right place as it wanted to rotate as the cups threaded in. Will look incredibly clean when done, though.

Fork is Columbus Futura Gravel so hose runs internally. Will grab some pics after I'm done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Fork is Columbus Futura Gravel so hose runs internally.
    My Zank has a Parlee fork with internal routing. There is not a continuous sleeve between the openings, so you have to thread it (this was not difficult).

I'm worried about water that will make its way down the brake line in the wet. This will happen, and it appears that there's no way to get it back out of the fork.

My solution is to caulk around the upper opening, had anybody else considered what happens with water and internal routing?

TH

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    My Zank has a Parlee fork with internal routing. There is not a continuous sleeve between the openings, so you have to thread it (this was not difficult).

I'm worried about water that will make its way down the brake line in the wet. This will happen, and it appears that there's no way to get it back out of the fork.

My solution is to caulk around the upper opening, had anybody else considered what happens with water and internal routing?

TH
    Apparently not the designer. Sheez.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teleguy57 View Post
    Building up my first disc brake bike, hydro disc, mechanical shift. I'm staring at the cables before I thread the rear hydro line through the entry point on the NDS side of the DT. I've gone through way too many galleries here and I find almost no one posts a head-on shot of the front of the bike, and I'm particularly look for those with disc brakes as the front hose ends up on the NDS side of the fork vs arcing gracefully from the left side of the handlebar to the right side of the fork-mount brake.

Looking at the bike from the front, what is the order of the cable placement? Is it the same as on my road bike (pictured here for reference) or something different? Does the front brake line stay in front of everything as it curves back to the NDS fork leg? This is important stuff to get right! Pics of your bikes are welcome as reference.

Frame size, bar size and its cable routing, stem length, and especially the position of the entry points make huge variables. Even the best picture can only give a small reference for working on it.
    You can only try.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"