User Tag List

Thread: Adding Bosses to Top Tube

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adding Bosses to Top Tube

So Iím thinking about adding bosses to the top tube of the Rock Lobster to be able to add a bento for long gravel rides. I have a Velcro bento right now but it tends to lean to one side, especially on heavy gravel. Anyone done this and have recommendations? Rivnuts the best solution? Doable without repainting?
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Adding Bosses to Top Tube

Rivnuts are easy but the top of the top tube is where you sweat. Seems like a recipe for corrosion. What about a small handlebar bag?

Road Runner Burrito Handlebar Bag at BikeTiresDirect
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Rivnuts are easy but the top of the top tube is where you sweat. Seems like a recipe for corrosion. What about a small handlebar bag?

Road Runner Burrito Handlebar Bag at BikeTiresDirect
    Running a stem integrated k-edge with the light and Garmin out front. Would have to find another solutions for those with the handlebar bag; trading one problem for another...
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    Running a stem integrated k-edge with the light and Garmin out front. Would have to find another solutions for those with the handlebar bag; trading one problem for another...
    True, but trading a potentially serious corrosion issue for finding different light and computer mounting solutions? I know which I’d take...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it's done (although I can't answer the rivnut question), and there's a bag for that: Bolt-on Top Tube Bag – Restrap EU

However, I'm not sure if that's the solution to your problem. I wonder if it's the bag design that allows it to lean to one side. I can imagine that it can lean to one side if the front of the bag, going up against the stem, does not have a spine or some sort of structural support, with just a velcro strap at the bottom. In other words, I'm inclined to think that the solution is not how you secure the bottom but how the front is constructed and secured.

Not sure if I'm making much sense...
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    So I’m thinking about adding bosses to the top tube of the Rock Lobster to be able to add a bento for long gravel rides. I have a Velcro bento right now but it tends to lean to one side, especially on heavy gravel. Anyone done this and have recommendations? Rivnuts the best solution? Doable without repainting?
    I wouldn’t put a rivnut there. How about a nice wide strip of Velcro? That would probably work even better.

And for a handlebar bar bag, Rixen & Kaul make a really neat drop bracket that will put the bag below the top of the bars so it won’t interfere with your doodads. Greyville.com - Rixen & Kaul Distance Set E 9 Degrees

I like their bracket even more then the Ortlieb, and the two are compatible. The Ultimate 6 compact bag has a large Velcro-secured flap that’s easy to open and close with one hand so you can retrieve things while moving.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. ó James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if it is related to have reach the 40y old bar but I'd rather look like a cyclotourist than a triathlete.
    --
    T h o m a s