Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 700x28 Road Tubeless, Summer 2019 edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default 700x28 Road Tubeless, Summer 2019 edition

hey folks, rather than digging up a 20 page 3 year old thread, I'm starting a new one. Set up some Reynolds Aero 46s with Schwalbe Pro Ones last year when I got the new bike and was generally happy, but have had a few annoying flats this year, including one that involved rim tape failure, and some fitment issues on the last tire I bought. Thought I would throw this out there for the brain trust before I--shudder--go back to tubes short term. So, for strictly fast road riding set up (been happy with 28c), what y'all got? I've only tried the Schwalbes so please add to and comment on this list:

IRC Formula Pro has 3 versions: light, rbcc, and x-guard
    Hutchinson--don't know why I have a negative impression of this company..
    Panaracer can't seem to get my hands on anything other than the gravel kings and I'm only on smooth pavement 98% of time
    Michelin?
    Conti 5000 looks promising but availability has been limited, we've had some happy customers for the few sets we got in

we could talk rim tape and sealants too, rim/tire combos etc, and even tire width if you want, but preferably sticking close to the road/fast club ride use. then again, if this turns into the latest omnibus thread, I'm ok with that too

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: 700x28 Road Tubeless, Summer 2019 edition

I really like the Schwalbes as well. The Panaracer Race A's were great but the EVO 3's are on closeout with only 23's. I have good luck with Hutchinson tires, I had a bad impression of them too, mostly from their crappy road tires in the 90's, but they do tubeless well.

Might try these, Excel Sports seems to have the best prices. Hutchinson Sector 28 Tubeless Tire - Tires - Clincher - Excel Sports
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am on the third or fourth year of road tubeless, and I have had good results with Schwalbe Pro One and Hutchinson Sector 28s, which I prefer.

I think the key has been the rim tape because once I went from Pacenti rims with tape to Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels with the plastic rim strips, my troubles went away. The Sectors mount easily and I have been able to get great mileage out of them, about a season on a rear tire (2,500-3,000 miles) and probably twice that on the front tire. They also seem responsive from 60-90 psi, and I am currently trying to determine the best all-around pressure. I like 65-70 psi, but I am tryng to figure this out once and for all for some late season races. I have not raced yet this year.

I buy them from Excel Sports like BigBill, and I have been using 2 oz of the TruckerCo Cream sealant or Orange Seal regular formula with fine results, checking and topping off every couple months or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I have good luck with Hutchinson tires, I had a bad impression of them too, mostly from their crappy road tires in the 90's, but they do tubeless well.
    I'm sure that's where my prejudice comes too; I think Hutchinson may be behind the tires Mavic is now offering to pair with their wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfibers View Post
    I think the key has been the rim tape because once I went from Pacenti rims with tape to Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels with the plastic rim strips, my troubles went away.
    not sure I can wrap my head around a plastic rim strip sealing properly. How does that work? just a tight fit and let the sealant do the rest?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    not sure I can wrap my head around a plastic rim strip sealing properly. How does that work? just a tight fit and let the sealant do the rest?
    The Bontrager rim strips are molded, and the rim shelf has a groove so the bead snaps in very securely. Tapered edges wrap up the rim walls so the rim strip edge is not exposed to sealant. My experience with them is on 29er wheels where they're been very reliable. But it requires a very high pressure to seat that bead. Is that the case with the road wheels too, Powerfibers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using a compressor most of the time to set the bead on the Bontragers, and they work a lot better than seemingly messing up tape job after tape job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm sure that's where my prejudice comes too; I think Hutchinson may be behind the tires Mavic is now offering to pair with their wheels
    I remember the Hutchinsons that were on sale on the back page of the USCF newletter. I bought a pair and after all kinds of flats, I put them on in the winter to use on the rollers. The front tire melted on the roller. So I was wary, but I've been happy so far.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The hutchinson sector 28 are great. I used them a lot 2y ago on my commuter converted CX. Good grip, rode nicely enough, easy to set up tubeless, never flatted. Hutchinson now offers the Fusion 5 Performance in 700x28 which probably have lower rolling resistance.

I was a hutchinson sponsored rider in the late 90's and had good experience with them. Their tubular were supple. Their hutchinson kevlar weren't as nice riding but they were sturdy and rarely flatted so they were great training tires. I actually saw them recommended many times on messenger / commuters forums for their good flat resistance.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 06-20-2019 at 11:54 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm a fan of the Schwalbe Pro Ones. I've had no real issues with them. They measure 30c new and expand a little after that.

I used the Hutchinson Sectors in the past, and they set up tubeless easy. They just didn't roll as nicely as the Pro One's.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    I'm a fan of the Schwalbe Pro Ones. I've had no real issues with them. They measure 30c new and expand a little after that.

I used the Hutchinson Sectors in the past, and they set up tubeless easy. They just didn't roll as nicely as the Pro One's.
    I agree that the Pro Ones roll a tad better, but they puncture a lot more IMHO. I have been nearly puncture free on the Sector 28s. What are you running for pressure on the 28s? I am running anywhere from 65-85 and still cannot focus enough to gather data on which is faster. I like the feel at 65 a lot better though. I weigh about 174 lbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just removed an irc light 25 that was worn to the threads. Fantastic tire and inflated wider than the 25 advertised. Replaced it with a corsa g+ 25. Fine so far but harder to setup due to the soft side wall. Also using the Vittoria rubino on a foul weather bike. Durable but heavy and slower feeling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfibers View Post
    I agree that the Pro Ones roll a tad better, but they puncture a lot more IMHO. I have been nearly puncture free on the Sector 28s. What are you running for pressure on the 28s? I am running anywhere from 65-85 and still cannot focus enough to gather data on which is faster. I like the feel at 65 a lot better though. I weigh about 174 lbs.
    I'm close to your weight and been doing about the same pressure in a slightly narrower range, like 70-80; they probably float down to 65 but I never go over 80 in rear and 75 in front. do the sectors and pro ones end up at about the same size when inflated?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm close to your weight and been doing about the same pressure in a slightly narrower range, like 70-80; they probably float down to 65 but I never go over 80 in rear and 75 in front. do the sectors and pro ones end up at about the same size when inflated?
    I never measured the Pro Ones, but they were only 25s. They were bigger than most though. Sorry for the confusion, I was only meaning to imply the casing and compound was a little more prone to roll fast as compared to the Sectors which are closer to 30 on my rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    I've used these and the previous One tubeless. No real issues for me either, only had one puncture (tiny hole) that I can remember. They roll very fast ATMO and I probably won't move to anything else unless they stop making them or the next version is crap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another vote for Schwalbe Pro Ones. In 28mm they have been a damn fine tire for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
    Another vote for Schwalbe Pro Ones. In 28mm they have been a damn fine tire for me.
    For me at least, and grip and durability are somewhat subjective, Schwalbe made the Pro one too thin and too slippy in order to achieve market leading (at the time) rolling resistance values.

I think the Conti 5000 is a game changer. Feels nasty and plasticky in the hand (at least compared to a nice cotton tyre) but appears to be blazing fast. The sidewalls on the tubeless version are more substantial which many users of 4000 clinchers may feel is a good thing. No discernable loss of grip and the sizes are more realistic for larger rim widths. The 28 is now actually a 28 and they've added a 32 at the top end.

The downsides are weight, and, I suspect, tread life, because the numbers are just so good and there are no free lunches out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I decided to set up Aeolus 3 wheels tubeless and bought some Conti 5000 TLs. They were expensive ($149ish), a total PITA to install, and only went on after I set them outside and warmed them up a bit. They did, however, seat with just the track pump which is a first for me. I will report back once I actually ride them tomorrow, but from what I have read they might make me cheat on my normal Sector 28s. When I read the reports on rolling resistance, I figured I would try these. They are by no means a fragile looking or feeling tire. They look every bit the same size as my Sectors when inflated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People talk great things about the grip and puncture resistance of the new Vittoria Corsa Graphene II. I would be surprise if the tubeless version is worse in those aspects than the tubed one.
    Hutchinson 11storm tires are very well regarded. The performance ones are probably the sweet spot in rolling resistance, easy mounting, puncture resistance and comfort.
    I'll go tubeless soon too and those are my two candidates. IRC RBCC tires also got great reviews for grip and puncture resistance, but they are more expensive than the Hutchis and more difficult to find.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomG View Post
    For me at least, and grip and durability are somewhat subjective, Schwalbe made the Pro one too thin and too slippy in order to achieve market leading (at the time) rolling resistance values.

I think the Conti 5000 is a game changer. Feels nasty and plasticky in the hand (at least compared to a nice cotton tyre) but appears to be blazing fast. The sidewalls on the tubeless version are more substantial which many users of 4000 clinchers may feel is a good thing. No discernable loss of grip and the sizes are more realistic for larger rim widths. The 28 is now actually a 28 and they've added a 32 at the top end.

The downsides are weight, and, I suspect, tread life, because the numbers are just so good and there are no free lunches out there.
    Oddly, I consider the grip of a 28c Pro One excellent.

I've never tried a 5000 (tubed or tubeless) but I may give them a shot next time I buy tires just out of curiosity.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast