Thread: 700x28 Road Tubeless, Summer 2019 edition

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 700x28 Road Tubeless, Summer 2019 edition

Quote Originally Posted by Powerfibers View Post
    I agree that the Pro Ones roll a tad better, but they puncture a lot more IMHO. I have been nearly puncture free on the Sector 28s. What are you running for pressure on the 28s? I am running anywhere from 65-85 and still cannot focus enough to gather data on which is faster. I like the feel at 65 a lot better though. I weigh about 174 lbs.
    For paved road, I run 60-70 psi. For dirt road, 50-55 psi. I weigh 160-165 lbs.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Oddly, I consider the grip of a 28c Pro One excellent.
    Same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I've been reasonably happy with the Pro Ones but they are the only tires I've ever tried tubeless and wanted to venture out. They mounted OK on my Reynolds Aero 46 wheels although for some reason when I was forced to throw a tube in them with a flat this winter (maybe I should have had a dynaplug to avoid that...) they would not re-seat completely, leaving a low spot, even after I got back home and tried again. and again. In that regard it will be nice if the industry can settle in on a standard like the Mavic UST so there's no need for a "tubeless combos that work" thread.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a wheel set with 28 Pro Ones and another with 25 Pro Ones. Been very happy with them for paved riding and even took the 28 Pro Ones out on some chunky gravel recently and they performed flawlessly.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Will Neide View Post
    Oddly, I consider the grip of a 28c Pro One excellent.

I've never tried a 5000 (tubed or tubeless) but I may give them a shot next time I buy tires just out of curiosity.
    I had a front wheel slip in the wet. Always been fine in the dry but it spooked me, and I've talked to several people locally with the same opinion. However, that's not scientific, it's a little bit akin to refusing to use a tyre brand because you had two flats in one ride.

Regardless, the GP5000 is faster than anything on the market except the Corsa Speed which is a TT specific tyre and only available in 25c. It's also significantly weightier than the Schwalbe (340 vs 290g or thereabouts) which makes it a slightly better compromise for a fit and forget performance tyre capable of being used on a variety of surfaces.

At the recent Scott product launch they seemed to be running an as yet unannounced 28mm performance tyre from Schwalbe with a red logo, so watch this space I suppose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The clincher version of the Panaracer EVO3 seem well liked on this forum. Any input on the Panaracer EVO3 or EVO4 tubeless tire? With the advent of the EVO4, the pricing for the EVO3 model has dropped significantly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mounted the GP 5000 TLs on my Aeolus 3 Pro wheels, and they roll like a dream. I'm looking down today on a recovery ride, and I was doing 100 watts on the flat and having no problem maintaining 17-18 mph. Yesterday, I was riding hard in torrential rain and these tires really seemed to have great grip and are inspiringly fast feeling.
    I got the 28s, and I am running them at about 80/70 rear/front. They were a nightmare to mount, but they sealed up tight with no latex after inflated with the track pump and valve core IN. I added sealant and am hoping I never need to remove one on the road and throw in a tube, might be trouble! LOL! Got the Dynaplug kit ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

was there any consensus on which dynaplug was the way to go for general duty road riding? every time I go poking around their site I get lost in the options....

I'm very close to trying the Conti's, though as I said availability has been limited lately, and I have a line on some tubed versions for almost 40% cheaper than tubeless. tough call.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by one60 View Post
    The clincher version of the Panaracer EVO3 seem well liked on this forum. Any input on the Panaracer EVO3 or EVO4 tubeless tire? With the advent of the EVO4, the pricing for the EVO3 model has dropped significantly.
    I have a set mounted on some Boyd 60's. I really like them but all I can find in EVO3 is 23's. Selling out the remaining stock. Last summer I ran a rear down to the casing and never flatted. They weren't a high mileage tire by any means, but they were very durable for around 1500 miles on the rear and about twice that in front.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    was there any consensus on which dynaplug was the way to go for general duty road riding? every time I go poking around their site I get lost in the options....

I'm very close to trying the Conti's, though as I said availability has been limited lately, and I have a line on some tubed versions for almost 40% cheaper than tubeless. tough call.
    I've been on road tubeless 25's for about two years, my impression was that any cut in the tire that wouldn't seal in a few revolutions probably needed a tube to get home anyway. I run mine around 80-90#, depending on the rim and bike. I carry plugs in my gravel and MTB stash bottle, lower pressures and all, likely more effective there.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What Bill said. I've not had luck with plugs with tire pressure > 45/50 PSI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iíll plug the cheapest top-end Specialized SWorks ď2BlissĒ tire, available only in a 28, and not suitable for all rims. Crazy light and crazy fast, and crazy minimal bead for a road tubeless tire. That said, thereís something about this tire that makes it not qualify as a true road tubeless tire, and Specialized issued a TSB about using it on anything hookless or wider than about 21, if I recall correctly. Iíve never had a reason to run them above about 60 psi on new Open Pros on my rim brake bike, or Giant SLR1 carbon rims on my disco bike.

Retail is about C$80 (versus $120ish for their true road tubeless SWorks racing tire). The ride quality is unreal, but itís reflected in the minimal puncture resistance (I have never cut one, however). For the price, just buy three and keep a spare around. (And for the record, despite this plug, I am most certainly not a Specialized fanboy.)

Edit: this is the tire.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used both Schwalbe Pro One and Continental 5000TL tires in 700x28. I don't claim to run an engineering lab, but in my experience the Conti's are faster and smoother. I have one route with a very steep descent followed by a short steep climb. On the Conti's, I can coast up and over that little climb. On the Schwalbe tires, I was always a few pedal strokes shy of clearing the top. All on the same Hunt 30 Carbon Aero disc wheels -- which, as an aside, I like very much.

I hung out with my mechanic the other day as he mounted another Conti 500TL to a new Hunt front wheel. (Long story -- damaged the old one in a non-cycling incident involving my own stupidity.) He said as he worked that the combination went together pretty easily, and I certainly heard no expletives. He did use the compressor to get the tire to seat completely.

EdK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Liking the GP5000 TLs so much, I just bought another set for the Aeolus 5s in 28. They are just excellent rolling and protection as well. I had a noise last week that was coming from the back and sounded like I needed some lube. I looked down and it was a wire in the tire hitting the rear brake every revolution for a good mile or two. No puncture despite the wire was about the thickness of a high E guitar string. Looking forward to racing on them this week, and hoping the new set comes in time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ekleinbard View Post
    He said as he worked that the combination went together pretty easily, and I certainly heard no expletives. He did use the compressor to get the tire to seat completely.
    I mean absolutely no personal affront whatsoever. But as a long-time professional MTB mechanic, I find road-exclusive riders’ views of tubeless tires - and the broad scepticism that results - pretty entertaining. Tubeless is so, so rad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone used the new new Pro One tire or Vittoria's Corsa 2 Tubeless? What with the Conti options appear to be multiplying...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have Pro One tubeless on two bikes. I've got 25's but they're on 24mm wide rims so they profile out around 27. I've got no complaints, they're not super durable long life tires, but they roll really well and have been durable enough. On Saturday I was doing a 45 mph descent and had no choice but to run over a section of truck tire tread on the shoulder. When I got to the parking lot, I had three wires stuck in the tread. No flat, pulled them out with nail clippers, no flats. Yay Orange Seal.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Are they the "new" version though?

First there was the One. Then there was the Pro One (which i've got - also no complaints). And now there is the just released "new" Pro One that is supposedly all souplessy and tubular-feel like. Are they the ones you've got?
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colinmclelland View Post
    Thanks. Are they the "new" version though?

First there was the One. Then there was the Pro One (which i've got - also no complaints). And now there is the just released "new" Pro One that is supposedly all souplessy and tubular-feel like. Are they the ones you've got?
    Mine are Microskin TL Easy. I'm in the desert so mine have several "brown spots" which are ground off thorns. No flats.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Mine are Microskin TL Easy. I'm in the desert so mine have several "brown spots" which are ground off thorns. No flats.
    I'm looking forward to try the new "easy" as the old version did not always play well with some rim combos. I know I've asked this before, but what is your sealant top-off/check interval out in the desert? do you dig out old buggers or just keep adding sealant until the tire is toast? (I guess there's not much mass to the sealant once the liquid evaporates)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast