Thread: 2015 Campagnolo Ultrashift compatibility

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2015 Campagnolo Ultrashift compatibility

Hi all,

A crash earlier today broke my pre-2015 chorus 11 RH shift lever. I am wondering if the new 11 speed levers will work with the older 11 speed derailleurs. I'm pretty sure Campagnolo says no, but I've pieced together some unorthodox combinations in the past that worked despite being 'incompatible' (10 speed crank and FD with all else 11 speed).

Barring that, anyone know an online source for a replacement 2011+ shifter body? I can't seem to find anything yet.

My brain is trying to talk me into buying a complete new Chorus groupset, just so that everything on my bike will match. Save me from myself.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2015 Campagnolo Ultrashift compatibility

What part broke? As long as your main lever and bar clamp are in good condition, Amazon carries the replacement bodies. Pretty cheap way to upgrade from 10 to 11 also. I used this body to switch a Centaur shifter to 11, which basically means I just put the Centaur main lever and bar clamp on the replacement.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    What part broke?
    Thanks for the reply. The plastic lever body broke around the brake lever pivot pin. I think the lever blade and bar clamp are fine. I hadn't thought of Amazon for some reason, but I suppose they sell pretty much everything now.

I think this looks like what I need, but I can't tell from the photo if this is the 2015+ body or the earlier version that I need.

Campagnolo Record Right Ultra Shift Lever Body Assembly: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

Post Thanks / Like

That's model EC-RE100, so that's the one you want. 2009-2014.

If the body broke around the pivot pin, then the hard part, driving the pin out of the old body, should be easier. I have a block of wood with a hole in it that supports the lever body but allows driving the pivot pin out with a carefully applied punch. There is a plastic retaining clip that fits around the pin and fits into a center grove in the pin. It holds the pin in place and prevents it from creeping out. It can be helpful to carefully pry that retaining clip (actually more of a retaining sheath) open a bit (there is a slot cut in it) to help release the pin. Remember to put it back in place before reassembly. One of those three handed operations than is somehow doable with two hands if you just keep your patience. I also remember thinking that I was having to whack the pivot pretty hard to get it out, but then I remembered that the body was toast so it didn't really matter and I redoubled my efforts. Reassembling the new shifter body is easier as long as you keep everything (retaining sheath included) aligned as you install the pivot.

Hope that helps.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your helpful advice, Jorn. I installed my new lever body last night-it was very straightforward. The toughest part was fishing the new shift cables through that Y shaped elbow on the top of the lever body. Haven't figured out a slick way to do that yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    Thank you for your helpful advice, Jorn. I installed my new lever body last night-it was very straightforward. The toughest part was fishing the new shift cables through that Y shaped elbow on the top of the lever body. Haven't figured out a slick way to do that yet.
    Great! Glad to help.

Best way I found to get the cables to go through the Y correctly is to somehow create a temporary "roof" over the channel to keep the cable in place as it is threaded through the channel and into the tiny exit hole out of the shifter body. I've used a flat piece of plastic & a spunger tool for computer repairs, but I've ended up using a small flat bladed screwdriver to guide the cable tip the way I want it to go. You can also just pull the cable out and run it through the exit hole and then pull the resulting loop out of the cable, but you will end up with a kink in the cable so make sure it is in a part of the cable you don't need. I don't like how the kink makes threading the cable more difficult, so I use the screwdriver.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

As you say, trying to avoid the dreaded kink in the gear cable when threading it through the top of the lever body is the key to success. Why did Campy make the hole so incredibly small...? One strand out of place on the cable end and you're doomed to failure...!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    You can also just pull the cable out and run it through the exit hole and then pull the resulting loop out of the cable, but you will end up with a kink in the cable so make sure it is in a part of the cable you don't need.
    I ended up doing this on both shifters as I was tired and already frustrated from wrenching on poorly designed stuff at work. I actually need the entire length of cable for the rear-it just reaches the pinch bolt of the rear mech.

I'll try your method next time when I am hopefully more patient.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually use a small allen key to guide the cable inside the channels. I'm usually successful after a few attempts. I'd rather have only one position available than having to spend a few minutes doing that and risk either a fraying of the cable or an annoying kink.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    I usually use a small allen key to guide the cable inside the channels. I'm usually successful after a few attempts. I'd rather have only one position available than having to spend a few minutes doing that and risk either a fraying of the cable or an annoying kink.
    Yep, I've used this approach as well, but these days my hands like the larger grip of a screwdriver handle. I have a shirtpocket screwdriver that gets used for a myriad of tasks that have nothing to do with screws or driving. Unfortunately mine is labeled with a pharmaceutical company (Pfizer) not something cool like Snap-On.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkmother View Post
    T...The toughest part was fishing the new shift cables through that Y shaped elbow on the top of the lever body. Haven't figured out a slick way to do that yet.
    Pro-tool

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. I'll make one at work today. Thanks for the inspiration.