Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Permanents close to NYC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Permanents close to NYC

From what I've seen on RUSA, there are only 3 active perm routes close to or starting in the city. Most all NY RUSA routes are upstate or quite far North/West. I'm debating making a few of my own to submit. I'm curious if anyone else has tried submitting routes to RUSA for perms? I'd like to get a more robust perm structure near the city. It's a bummer that I'd have to rent a car and drive 50+miles to do a ride that I'd prefer to do closer to the city.

Also - open to route suggestions as well. I'm strictly opposed to any 9W riding - 15 years of that road has destroyed and enjoyment that might come from riding it.

I might also make a few 100 and 200k routes near Peekskill easily accessible by Metro North. Any other RUSA members on here as annoyed as me or am I the only one haha!
    Below Category Randonneuring Association

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Permanents close to NYC

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/25754869
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/29215046
    https://ridewithgps.com/routes/33965657

I think the traffic is much lighter now, so you should give 9W a shot again. I've been doing the Mario Cuomo Bridge - Bear- Peekskill- Croton loops.
    You have better options now since you can up on east side of hudson and cross over in Tarrytown on MarioCuomo or just keep heading north.

Even if there are no RUSA Permanents on ridewithgps in the area, you have plenty of riding options.
    It sounds like a worthwhile endeavour to create some new permanents in the area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Permanents close to NYC

Iíve done a number of the Jersey perms, Keep the River on Your Right, Roundabout Rancosas, Year Rounder etc, and they are worth the drive, so much nicer than riding in the city. There are one or two NJ Rusa members who make great routes, Jonathan (canít find last name, he was from the Bx or Westchester)....and I see they have removed the names of individual route architects from the RUSA Route Finder. Thereís one that runs from the Bronx up to Westchester and back, mostly on the South County Trail that is nice except for the final uphill miles in Yonkers.

Iíve constructed rides but never submitted them. And thatís due to my lack of follow through in reconciling what I plotted in RIDEwithGPS, what I actually test-rode and the queue sheet. I didnít have the patience to reconstruct the queue sheet to the standards they expected, but maybe thatís not a thing anymore since they have moved into the 1990s and will allow people to use RIDEwith... I bet some people still want a paper cue sheet and Iím just not willing to annotate every turn and bump in the road. Downstate NY has always been a little sparse because there hasnít been a consistently active club for NYC or LI, so people just join the Jersey group and do its rides.

Hereís one I built but did not submit https://ridewithgps.com/routes/31002263