Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Marin Century/Mt. Tam Double

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Marin Century/Mt. Tam Double

Anyone doing the Marin Century or one of the Mt. Tam rides this weekend? I'm signed up for the Tam Double, although I have a feeling that I may cut it short...we'll have to see how the legs feel on Sat...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First time

Will checkout the traditional course on saturday. what's up with the marshall wall? can you comment on length, vertical, avg/peak grade? paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Marshall Wall

You know...I guess that I'm not sure exactly what the Marshall Wall is. Pretty sure that I've ridden up it at some point but it may not have registered as a "wall". I asked somebody about it the other day and the thought was that "wall" was a pretty big exaggeration. I don't know, I wouldn't worry about it too much. What's the total vertical climbing for the classic?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Der_kruscher View Post
    Anyone doing the Marin Century or one of the Mt. Tam rides this weekend? I'm signed up for the Tam Double, although I have a feeling that I may cut it short...we'll have to see how the legs feel on Sat...
    I'll be there ... had two all-nighters this week so far and feel like shit, but this is a great ride.

If my feet can take it, I'll soldier through my lack of fitness.

Look for a Marcelo with a pink, white and grey Blop paint scheme ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watoni - which route are you doing? Anyway, I'll be wearing a Sports Basement jersey and riding my baby blue & white Surly...not the ideal bike for the event but I blew out a shifter on my regular bike. I'll keep an eye out for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Watoni View Post
    I'll be there ... had two all-nighters this week so far and feel like shit, but this is a great ride.

If my feet can take it, I'll soldier through my lack of fitness.

Look for a Marcelo with a pink, white and grey Blop paint scheme ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Der_kruscher View Post
    Watoni - which route are you doing? Anyway, I'll be wearing a Sports Basement jersey and riding my baby blue & white Surly...not the ideal bike for the event but I blew out a shifter on my regular bike. I'll keep an eye out for you...

Mt. Tam double or bust .... I will keep an out for you at the 5:00 am start

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default "the wall"

The 'traditional" is 6000' +/-. Picked it becasue we do all our riding on the pennisula from our houses so it'll be a treat to ride somewhere else for a change. Evidently the so called "wall" is 1.5mi/700' +/- at mile 25 or so. Shouldn't be an issue after spending the summer riding up to skyline and back (tunitas, west alpine, OLH, Kings, etc.) Not ready for the double though...so good luck! paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah - maybe see you out there anyway and if I don't, have a great ride!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Double

I'll be stoking a purple/blue Ibis tandem on the double century route. Mileage is off the last month or so due to all the fires and smoke so we won't be off the front. Feel free to draft if we're not too slow.

Peter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it's all over; how'd it go for everyone? I actually had a pretty good time which is quite the opposite of how the Davis Double went for me earlier in the season. Probably a combination of knowing a lot of the roads and the fact that it wasn't a hundred plus degrees made this easier for me than the aforementioned Davis ride despite the fact that there was twice the climbing. Anyway, I assume that I missed everyone because I got a late start...5:30 instead of 5. I need to select my riding partners more carefully next time. I have much respect for anyone who can do a ride like this on a tandem. Holy crap!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default the traditional

nice ride. glad it wasn't hot. I understand why there is a cow on the commerative water bottle now. seemed like I was riding into a headwind abotu 70% of the time. is that "normal"? Made the ride, at least for me, more difficult than the mileage or vertical would indicate. ...the marshall "wall". puh-leez. pick another name. that certainly was no wall. cruel trick to put those little grinders after lunch and RS #3. At least I wasn't burping mexican food while heading up. Someone overcooked a curve on LV on the homestretch...fire truck, ambulance, etc. there. seemed ok but lousy way to almost end the ride. Very nice ending with 5 miles of downhill.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wind was really pretty nasty. I felt pretty bad for the guy I was riding with who weighs in at only 125lbs! And the "wall"? OK, not super easy but by no means a wall...although the wind wasn't helping there either. Post ride thoughts are that if I'm going to continue to use my Surly for these rides, a compact crankset is in order. In fact, I ordered one today in anticipation of at least one more double this fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mama's boy

I had a great ride but my mom ended up visiting over the weekend for my 35th birthday so doing the whole Mt. Tam double would have blown all of Saturday.

My Esoles made a big difference as I did not have any major foot issues through the 140 miles I did, but the right foot did start to act up on the way to the rest stop after Coleman Valley. A big improvement though, and hopefully with some tweaking we have a long term solution here.

Starting at 5:30 was probably a good idea since starting out in the dark at 5:00 am is less than ideal.

I rode with a group for safety until Fairfax and then everyone climbed Tam at their own pace. I ended up riding by myself until the 3rd rest stop, and even then pretty much rode entirely alone to lunch at about 1:00 pm. My mom met me for lunch so I stopped for about half an hour and then headed out to do the Coleman Valey loop, which was awesome. When I got back to the Valley Ford stop just after 3:00 pm, my mom was still hanging out and seeming a bit bored (and the wind was so strong some of the tents had gotten knocked over!).

So I bagged at that point and then took my mom to dinner in Graton just over the hill from Occidental. The nex day we went hiking in the Muir Woods and had lunch in Stinson Beach before heading home. It was a great ride and great to spend some time with family.

Ride stats: 142 miles, a little over 9 hours riding time, a little over 10 hours total time, 6000+ kjoules.

Likely a good bit more modest than the other Salonistas, but an improvement over the early season

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sweet ride.