User Tag List

Thread: Driftless Pigs, aka the Inaugural Great Southwest Wisconsin Hampsten Festival 2014

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Driftless Pigs, aka the Inaugural Great Southwest Wisconsin Hampsten Festival 2014

The thread will be the planning thread for the IGSWWHF 2014.

Proposal: Hampsten riders throughout the Driftless (or Driftless adjacent region) meet for a chance to enjoy one-another's fellowship, Wisconsin craft beers, and the wonderful riding that the Driftless Region on SW Wisconsin has to offer.

Timeframe & Schedule: How about late April Early May? Arrive on Friday afternoon/evening or Saturday morning at your discretion, group ride on Saturday with a stop for lunch and beers as necessary, BBQ dinner then depart, or stick around for Sunday morning ride followed by departure.

Location (Proposed): Spring Green WI, about 45 minutes West of Madison. Aldebaran Farm (Aldebaran Farm) is a really neat farmhouse, once home to Frank Lloyd Wright's uncle and overlooking Taliesin, which could be rented for the event and has generous accommodations for the group.

Please share thoughts and suggestions (obviously we'll need group t-shirts & stickers) here and invite those who might be interested in attending.

Thanks!
    Ian

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Driftless Pigs, aka the Inaugural Great Southwest Wisconsin Hampsten Festival 201

Inspiration: Photo from last fall at the lake at Taliesin

hampsten tournesol.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Driftless Pigs, aka the Inaugural Great Southwest Wisconsin Hampsten Festival 201

Jon,
    VSalon and NFS would love to help sponsor and promote this event.
    Looks very V-worthy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think early May would be best, late April weather could be fairy dicey. For course suggestions; From Spring Green > around Devil's Lake or Blue Mounds/Gov Dodge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in for May, when I agree the chances of better weather exist. I know the roads south of Spring Green closer to Blue Mounds and Dodgeville, but will check with a few friends to get some suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by astaft View Post
    I think early May would be best, late April weather could be fairy dicey. For course suggestions; From Spring Green > around Devil's Lake or Blue Mounds/Gov Dodge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

True, May usually means more predictable weather and warmer afternoons.

We could do a loop south of the WI River on Saturday, down around Gov. Dodge, and then go north of the river Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Is this area near the Viroqua area? The riding around there is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm probably closest to Spring Green (about 16 miles west as the crow flies) and have ridden probably all of the roads within a 50 mile or so radius so I can help with route suggestions. End of April and May is rather a crazy travel time for me but I'll come if I can. If someone is keeping a list, put me down as a tentative, I won't be doing the lodging though but hopefully can do the ride and associated eating/drinking.
    Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mike at Aldebaran has limited availability right now, nothing in May. I've asked for June weekends which might be better for all. The other options are Spring Green Inn and Usonion Inn that I know of.

Greg- have you done much around New Glarus? That might be another alternative base. I haven't ridden that area south of 151 though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
    Mike at Aldebaran has limited availability right now, nothing in May. I've asked for June weekends which might be better for all. The other options are Spring Green Inn and Usonion Inn that I know of.

Greg- have you done much around New Glarus? That might be another alternative base. I haven't ridden that area south of 151 though.
    No, although I've ridden in New Glarus before, I don't know the area all that well. That'd make it a lot more interesting for me.
    Greg

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on June vs May for this Pigster. Plus calendar, it gives me more time to get rid of the winter excess.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Glarus is a "Swiss settlement" that is home to one of the finest craft breweries in the state (New Glarus Brewery). You can make a nice 30-35 mile loop down to Monroe, Wi to visit the Minhas Brewery making the day a 60-ish mile day with two breweries and around 3000 ft of climbing, depending on the route.

A nice easy rail trail from New Glarus south is an option for an easy Sunday ride.

Sounds like June is better for the group, but location TBD. I guess we'll wait to hear from Jon re: Aldebaran availability. We can't go wrong with either location.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Serottas View Post
    No, although I've ridden in New Glarus before, I don't know the area all that well. That'd make it a lot more interesting for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey everybody, no availability at Aldebaran for the May/June time frame.

New Glarus has one up on Spring Green in terms of lodging... there's several hotel/motel/swiss chalets to choose from.

I'm +1 on New Glarus in June.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First two weekends in June are the only ones I could make work. I would suggest June 7 - 8 in New Glarus.

We could do the following weekend of June 14 - 15 which coincides with the Beer, Bacon and Cheese Festival (New Glarus Festivals 2014 - New Glarus Wisconsin Chamber And Visitor Info), but this could put pressure on availability of hotel rooms and conflicts with Father's Day (Sunday June 15).

Votes?

Appleton WI -- home of Harry Houdini and Rocky Bleier
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

June 7-8 in New Glarus looks pretty good for me as well. Still have to do some negotiating on release time :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    First two weekends in June are the only ones I could make work. I would suggest June 7 - 8 in New Glarus.

We could do the following weekend of June 14 - 15 which coincides with the Beer, Bacon and Cheese Festival (New Glarus Festivals 2014 - New Glarus Wisconsin Chamber And Visitor Info), but this could put pressure on availability of hotel rooms and conflicts with Father's Day (Sunday June 15).

Votes?
    I can make either work. The festival sounds fun!