User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Driftless Pigs, aka the Inaugural Great Southwest Wisconsin Hampsten Festival 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Driftless Pigs, aka the Inaugural Great Southwest Wisconsin Hampsten Festival 201

Let's get those Hampsten boys back there sometime - it's been too long!

You 'member those railroad tracks crossing the road south of town if you've gone through the Arboretum - Seminole Highway on the way to Paoli, Belleville, etc.? Maybe they're gone now but back the day one would swing way out into the road to cross them at an angle that wouldn't leave you tangled up on the ground in a bloody mess. So I'm out on a ride with some pals and co-workers from Yellow Jersey and Brother Andy happens to be along on the ride, just back from his first pro season in Eurolandia where it was too cold even for him - so I'm guessing 1986, maybe when he bailed on Paris-Nice - and we're heading south and getting ready to tackle those stupid tracks. What does Andy do? He speeds up, jumps over the first track, bounces, then clears the second track - boom-boom! We all looked at each other and realized that a new norm had just been established. Easy peasy.
    Steve Hampsten
    www.hampsten.blogspot.com
    "Tighten the wingnuts!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Driftless Pigs, aka the Inaugural Great Southwest Wisconsin Hampsten Festival 201

Btw, do I need a Hampsten in order to join? I will have a Ti bike by the time we can ride in groups again (at least I hope I'll have one ready by then), but unfortunately, not a Hampsten.

If only that 54.5 Hampsten by Moots had a shorter head tube...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post

You 'member those railroad tracks crossing the road south of town if you've gone through the Arboretum - Seminole Highway on the way to Paoli, Belleville, etc.? Maybe they're gone now but back the day one would swing way out into the road to cross them at an angle that wouldn't leave you tangled up on the ground in a bloody mess. So I'm out on a ride with some pals and co-workers from Yellow Jersey and Brother Andy happens to be along on the ride, just back from his first pro season in Eurolandia where it was too cold even for him - so I'm guessing 1986, maybe when he bailed on Paris-Nice - and we're heading south and getting ready to tackle those stupid tracks. What does Andy do? He speeds up, jumps over the first track, bounces, then clears the second track - boom-boom! We all looked at each other and realized that a new norm had just been established. Easy peasy.
    We'll get things together Steve, at least as soon as COVID-19 allows it. But you are correct that the route from the Arb, south on Seminole and out towards Verona (where I live), Paoli and beyond still becons... heck that southern end of your memories is my everyday stomping grounds. Somethings have changed, namely Yellow Jersey is no longer in Madison, Belleville has a really nice new coffee shop and the local roads are in worse condition than ever, but the bike scene remains strong.

In terms of requiring a Hampco to join the fun, I say no. Just bring your good attitude, a willingness to share a snack and/or beverage along the way and lets have some fun..... probably in 2021. We'll revise this thread in earnest when things become possible. For now, I will just stare longingly at the recent Hampco steel re-repatriation of Dario's Giro creation while planning a future Ti Hampco when my income recovers post COVID.
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hampco View Post

I wish I lived here thirty years ago, as it sounds like Wisconsin had quite an active bike racing culture back then. My bike fitter (former co-owner of Cronometro) was telling me how many would come into the state to race, and that there were many races in the Madison area as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Wisco View Post
    We'll get things together Steve, at least as soon as COVID-19 allows it. But you are correct that the route from the Arb, south on Seminole and out towards Verona (where I live), Paoli and beyond still becons... heck that southern end of your memories is my everyday stomping grounds. Somethings have changed, namely Yellow Jersey is no longer in Madison, Belleville has a really nice new coffee shop and the local roads are in worse condition than ever, but the bike scene remains strong.

In terms of requiring a Hampco to join the fun, I say no. Just bring your good attitude, a willingness to share a snack and/or beverage along the way and lets have some fun..... probably in 2021. We'll revise this thread in earnest when things become possible. For now, I will just stare longingly at the recent Hampco steel re-repatriation of Dario's Giro creation while planning a future Ti Hampco when my income recovers post COVID.
    I offer to buy the first round of beers. Hell, maybe New Glarus might be open by then?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123