Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dirty Prouty?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Dirty Prouty?

Is the Dirty Prouty still occurring or is it replaced by the metric century that involves some dirt roads?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Dirty Prouty?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Is the Dirty Prouty still occurring or is it replaced by the metric century that involves some dirt roads?
    My understanding is that the Dirty Prouty is a slightly less formal less official cousin to The (road) Prouty. Both events raise funds for Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical cancer research, and the DP serves gravel riders in that effort. In any case, the DP last happened Friday July 7 2017, and I would expect it again on a Friday in early July 2018. Brian Nolan seems to be the guy in charge of the DP, so you could probably get in touch with him to find out more.

The DP is also on my to-do list. I've been on a lot of the roads but not all of them in one go.
    Steve Park

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sparky33 View Post
    My understanding is that the Dirty Prouty is a slightly less formal less official cousin to The (road) Prouty. Both events raise funds for Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical cancer research, and the DP serves gravel riders in that effort. In any case, the DP last happened Friday July 7 2017, and I would expect it again on a Friday in early July 2018. Brian Nolan seems to be the guy in charge of the DP, so you could probably get in touch with him to find out more.

The DP is also on my to-do list. I've been on a lot of the roads but not all of them in one go.
    As Steve points out, the Dirty Prouty is a separate event held in conjunction with the overall cancer research fund raising efforts. The Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical cancer research funding raising events take place that weekend. And they, very smartly, allow for "virtual" events to take place on/around that same time. For example, there is/was golf tournament in CO that someone pulled together as part of the overall fund raising effort. This way there are not geographic restrictions to the fund raising. Brian Nolan created a "virtual" cycling event. It so happens that it geographic location is across the river and the event happens the day before the activities at Dartmouth.
    The Dirty Prouty has raised a lot of money over the last couple of years as part of the effort.

And the course that Brian and his team layout is nothing like the easier 100 that is part of the regular event. It is mostly dirt with a lot of climbing. Last year was 112 with ~12,000 feet of climbing on 80% dirt roads. And many of the those dirt roads got hit hard by a rain storm the previous weekend. You will know you did something by the time you are finished....
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been looking for info but haven't seen anything obvious. Thanks for the lead on the organizer, I'll see what I might find out and report back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It looks like that mailbox isn't monitored, if I got a reply I missed it. If the Prouty does virtual stuff I may just have to go grab the old map and ride the roads.