Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default D2R2 2020 Cancled due to Covid-19

Disappointing email this afternoon:

"Dear Riders;

It is with heavy hearts that we announce our decision to cancel D2R2 2020 due to the risks associated with COVID-19. This was a very difficult decision to make. We entertained a wide range of creative alternatives to the traditional D2R2 event that we all love. But, in weighing each scenario, we realized that we couldn’t ensure your safety, or that of the volunteers, residents, emergency responders and local businesses that come together to make this amazing event possible.

To keep everyone safe, we respectfully ask that you wait to travel to this region and ride the dirt roads until it is safe to do so. On that note, we have created a couple of safe alternatives for you to experience D2R2 either on your own or virtually. While we won’t be able to simulate the camaraderie and character of D2R2 online, we can still give you some serious hills to climb! To that end, we are offering a DIY D2R2 Virtual Ride, and if you’re on Strava please join our D2R2 Club. Both options will feature a leaderboard of total distance, longest ride, average speed, and elevation gain. (We’ll be watching and holding weekly raffles to send out swag to some of the lucky folks that make it onto either of the leaderboards!)

Fortunately for us, we can’t think of a better group of people to navigate such challenging times with. As a D2R2 rider, you are known for your grit, perseverance, and optimism in the face of adversity. You are well versed in making the best of a difficult situation. As we here at FLT navigate these unprecedented times, we are following your lead. We will not give up, we will keep our sights on D2R2 2021, and we will continue to protect and care for the land that makes this ride so special.

D2R2 is FLT’s biggest fund-raising event. As a D2R2 rider, your support makes it possible for us to continue hosting this event each year. You also help us keep a strong and steady pace of land conservation in western Massachusetts. Thanks to you, FLT conserves about 1000 acres of land every year. This land provides food, clean water, clean air, and important habitat for wildlife. And it makes for some pretty nice gravel road riding!

These last few months have made it very clear that now more than ever, people need natural places for hiking, biking, exploring or quiet contemplation. Now more than ever, we need to protect farmland, support farmers, and ensure that we have access to healthy food. And, now more than ever, we need to focus on land conservation as part of the climate change solution.

In the midst of this global crisis, we are working to ensure that our pace of conservation remains strong by being creative and making the best of a difficult situation. But without D2R2, FLT is facing a significant shortfall. This pandemic has impacted all of us, and with a little grit and perseverance we know we will come out stronger for it. But in the short term, we need your help.

We would like to encourage you to donate your registration fee to FLT if you are able to do so. By doing this, you are ensuring that important lands will be protected AND that D2R2 2021 will be as amazing as ever. You will also receive a complimentary D2R2 2020 T-shirt, free registration into the DIY D2R2 Virtual Ride, and you will be qualified to register next year at a reduced rate ($75).

These are difficult times for everyone and we absolutely understand if you are not able to make a donation at this time. We are offering deferrals to D2R2 2021 or full refunds. (Please choose your options at the link below.)

We hope you will participate in our alternative D2R2 options, and we hope you will be in touch over the summer. We’d love to see photos of your rides and hear stories of your back-road biking adventures. We can’t wait to see you next year!

Be well. Stay safe. And keep riding! #D2R2

~Mary, Sandy & the D2R2 Bike Committee"
    Last edited by guido; 06-03-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com
    "I think that the whole Republican Party has been put in a position, with a few notable exceptions, of being mildly intimidated by the sitting President." Joe Biden, President Elect.
    “A lawsuit without provable facts showing a statutory or constitutional violation is just a tweet with a filing fee,” said Justin Levitt, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
    “Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: D2R2 2020 Cancled due to Covid-19

Son of a *$#%%. I was so looking forward to this ride, particularly this year.

I understand the call Sandy, Mary & team had to make.

My entry will absolutely be donated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was to be my first...oh, well.

Plan to donate my entry fee, too.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wouldn't it be amazing in leaf season? I'm sure it was discussed, but just sayin'...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<entry donated>/dammitcovid

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Damn. There goes my streak.

Thank you all very much for supporting the Franklin Land Trust. It is simply amazing to see what they've done over the last 15 years and how much of an impact they've had. Ditto with the ride itself, it really has changed our sport, at least for me and all you knuckleheads who dabble in this corner of it.

So I will vow to get out periodically and share photos. We'll build a Detoo Artoo 2020 thread here for photos and tales. Don't let me catch you flaunting Governor Charlie's guidelines.
    https://www.mass.gov/doc/mountain-bi...18-20/download

But please remember that we're special, and the the six-foot social distance does not apply to riding in another's draft, even on a 20% grade at 4 mph. The draft through the opening of a biosafety exhaust hood is only 1.1 mph. Exposure is a function of concentration and time, and these routes will require spending some time out there.

Cheers, virtually. Let's turn a pedal, raise a glass, and share stories.

RIP, Bill Guazzo.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

.... the the six-foot social distance does not apply to riding in another's draft, even on a 20% grade at 4 mph. The draft through the opening of a biosafety exhaust hood is only 1.1 mph. Exposure is a function of concentration and time, and these routes will require spending some time out there.
    Is it your opinion its safe to draft, that the concentration of virus is not significant in this case?

thanks
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by claritycycler View Post
    Is it your opinion its safe to draft, that the concentration of virus is not significant in this case?

thanks
    Absolutely not. Guidelines are to stay six feet away from people you're not living with. That's for static air and incidental contact. In you're going to be in someone's draft for a while, that distance should be much, much longer. Right now I'm choosing not to do it at all.
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, no drafting for me either, been riding solo since early March, I didn't understand what you were intitially saying.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Darnell Laventhrop, Curling Coach

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where else do you get to hang out with characters like JPW?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last Sunday I rode from Colrain DPW over Monroe Hill, down the gap, back over through Rowe. Beautiful in every way. I'd never gone down Monroe Hill before. Impressive grade.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Connecticut?

Kidding aside, I cherish Weigle sightings at D2. The man is a machine, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Not to mention TS there on the left.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's still on

Gmail
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    it's still on

Gmail
    It doesn't load for me...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com
    "I think that the whole Republican Party has been put in a position, with a few notable exceptions, of being mildly intimidated by the sitting President." Joe Biden, President Elect.
    “A lawsuit without provable facts showing a statutory or constitutional violation is just a tweet with a filing fee,” said Justin Levitt, a professor at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
    “Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY D2R2 22 Online Registration

They sent an email and I did not simply copy and paste.

FCLT doesn't want people to actually come and ride here, though, I find upon further searching.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
    Jay Dwight