Thread: Big 10 day ride: AR to the ocean beginning Oct. 7

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big 10 day ride: AR to the ocean beginning Oct. 7

We are a "go" with 6 people solidly committed. We want 10 people and will cut it off when/if that number is reached but the trip is a go regardless.

(copied from the VSalonBums thread)

OK let's talk about how this works.

Getting to and from the start/finish (suggestions):
    Meet at the finish, rent a SUV and drive to the start. Drop your stuff and return rental to Fort Smith, AR and I'll come get you and return to the start hotel. At the finish, your car is stored at the finish hotel or fly out.

Navigation:
    Everybody needs to have a working Garmin 705 or better and know how to navigate using a track. Yes yes we plan to ride together but as Mike Tyson says everyone has a plan until they get hit in the face or was that Patton? I'll supply .tcx files well in advance and .pdf files with turn by turn directions which you might want to laminate. Fair warning, the GPS routes are good, very good however the turn by turns will be slightly off now and than, it's the nature of using route planning software not a big deal.

Daily Logistics:

Queen and I will drive my truck and trailer to the ride start. The truck and trailer will store your bags and serve as mobile support. We will share driving and shopping duties. You will never have to drive more than 1/2 day.

Each day we will leave at the crack of dawn, easy pace. The designated morning driver is responsible for setting up breakfast in the parking lot. It's simple stuff, cereal, oatmeal, bagels, honey, fruit and coffee. We take off than the driver makes sure the hotel bill is paid, keys returned and hotel receipt is printed out and stored in the truck. Driver can linger but is still responsible for finding their way to a good lunch spot and calling it in via cell phone...your job is done. Driver can park the truck and start riding OR wait and continue with the group you call.

Cost:
    Pay for your hotel(s) and/or share with roomate. Everyone will kick in $100 at the start we'll use for gas/groceries which should cover rolling expenses.

Ride Quality:
    The ride is not a hammerfest. We ride together at a 17 pace and keep it steady, stay on the bikes. If you are in shape now and start to ride back to back longer weekend rides you'll be fine. The route is mostly rolling and avg. climbing each day is < 4000' The first day climbs for 15 miles than is downhill :)

Lunch on the road and driver switch:
    Lunch stop is real simple consisting of PB/bread, lunch meats, cheese, fruit. Riders can get into the trailer at this point and retrieve your energy drink mixes etc. New driver lingers and cleans up you are headed for the store to get ice and restock breakfast/lunch items (there will be a list). After you hit the store head for the hotel room keys. You get to assign rooms based on who has told the best jokes, caused the least (riding) pain. There will be a repair stand in the trailer with my toolbox, rags and one bottle of NFS.

I have the hotels located next to buffet restaurants. We all hit the hotel for clean up, naps and congregate at the local Ptomaine-ateria for chow and the telling of lies.

Safety:
    1. Rear solid light. Not necessarily on.
    2. Reflective triangle must be worn around your waist at all times. Let me know if you need one I have a bunch.
    3. Charged cell phone with everyone's number.

We seek Vsalon participation. Let's talk.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Big 10 day ride: AR to the ocean beginning Oct. 7

How are east-coasters coordinating vehicle drop-off in Charleston, SC and westward travel to Fort Smith, AR?
    Are there any VSaloners in the Charleston area where a car can be safely stored for ten days at reasonable cost?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    How are east-coasters coordinating vehicle drop-off in Charleston, SC and westward travel to Fort Smith, AR?
    Are there any VSaloners in the Charleston area where a car can be safely stored for ten days at reasonable cost?
    We'll get creative and find a Church who will accept a in-kind donation? Lots of ways to skin this cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Routes done. Trailer, almost done.

We would love to have a few more join us.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you'll be going through N. Georgia and NW South Carolina.

Do you mind if anyone joins for a day or two (taking care of their own logistics)?
    killing idols one at a time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Sounds like you'll be going through N. Georgia and NW South Carolina.

Do you mind if anyone joins for a day or two (taking care of their own logistics)?
    Done done and done. We have room for your gear and will make sure you are well taken care of brother.

I'll PM you with some info. and go from there.

That said, what would it take in order to get you to do the whole thing?