Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    - Oris Aquis Titanium, is a 50/50 keeper/sell
    I have an Aquis and like it a lot, but one thing i dont like about it is the nonstandard strap/band lugs, so you are stuck with official Oris bands. What diameter is yours??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

- Need to sell a few
    I've got a few I'd like to sell as well. Any recommendations on where to sell some entry level watches (Long Island SKX & Seiko solar quartz type watches)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    I have an Aquis and like it a lot, but one thing i dont like about it is the nonstandard strap/band lugs, so you are stuck with official Oris bands. What diameter is yours??
    43.5mm because anything else looks puny on my 7.5" wrist. I really like the Aquis and the bands/straps do not bother me because the on the fly adjustment clasp is great. I just can't see the date anymore without reading glasses. At least the ProPilot has a bigger date wheel which seems weird and annoying because they use the same Selita sw200 movement. Why do watch companies and movement makers stick with date wheels/windows that are so damn small?

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    I've got a few I'd like to sell as well. Any recommendations on where to sell some entry level watches (Long Island SKX & Seiko solar quartz type watches)
    I often just suck it up and list on eBay and don't care how long it takes to sell. I am not a member of any free/public watch content related forums because I do not want to deal with the regular a$$holes who post on them but that is often a good place to sell watches of all price points. I recently joined a paid private Discord but it has not been worthwhile because they are all watch aficionados/collectors who only want the most pristine examples of even the watches you mention but will not pay more than 50% of retail. And so far, the rest of the Discord is not that great either. What I learned is that when it started about 2 years ago they had to turn people away after 200 members but many left so they barely have 100 and are opening it back up to the general public which could turn it into no better than other places with lots of a$$holes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    watchuseek forums are pretty active across the board watch sales. That's a good place to start.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do watch companies and movement makers stick with date wheels/windows that are so damn small?
    Ha,

These days, since I have a number of watches I wear occasionally I prefer no date, as if I'm setting a watch I know I'm not going to be wearing for very long, I dont bother to set the date, so chances are if you see me wearing a watch with a date display - it will be wrong :)

I suppose I'm just getting old, but I dont really understand discord. I watched that little video above, and it strikes me as a bad deal to pay either $75 or $150 for a year to be part of a discussion board. I dont know anything about that dude above, but he seems like he thinks he is more important than he is, but what do i know :)

I have bought many high/mid/low end watches used over the years, mostly from the free forums out there. I was very active on rolexforums years ago, and there used to be just a great group of guys over there. even did a lunch with them in NYC one day. fun times. I'm mostly out of the watch game now though, discretionally funds are channeled elsewhere :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    Ha,

These days, since I have a number of watches I wear occasionally I prefer no date, as if I'm setting a watch I know I'm not going to be wearing for very long, I dont bother to set the date, so chances are if you see me wearing a watch with a date display - it will be wrong :)

I suppose I'm just getting old, but I dont really understand discord. I watched that little video above, and it strikes me as a bad deal to pay either $75 or $150 for a year to be part of a discussion board. I dont know anything about that dude above, but he seems like he thinks he is more important than he is, but what do i know :)

I have bought many high/mid/low end watches used over the years, mostly from the free forums out there. I was very active on rolexforums years ago, and there used to be just a great group of guys over there. even did a lunch with them in NYC one day. fun times. I'm mostly out of the watch game now though, discretionally funds are channeled elsewhere :)

If I wear a watch, I want it to have at least one complication (aka function other than time telling) but that unfortunately limits me to watches with cyclops. The only one that works for me (for now) without a cyclops is the Oris ProPilot Big Crown Big Date which unfortunately is out at service due to the dreaded "malfunctioning reversing wheels" ETA/clone issue. (stock pic of mine below)

I have never been on Discord until now. The price is a donation to him and he uses those funds to purchase watches to loan out, give out schwag, and a few other administrative things but I do not think he actually makes any money after all his expenses. He has a good YouTube following at about 75k subs and is much less annoying than most other watch YouTubers. I still stand by my original assessment that I think his Discord is not worth the price because there is more engagement about watches in this thread on a bike forum that on that watch Discord. It is great for wristshot pics, new release info, and the occasional special discount code but to me it is not worth the price of entry (that I already paid for 2023 and was given early access). I will not renew for 2024.

I still do the watch thing with two of my brothers who are also into watches but thankfully it consumes less of my time and money these days. I joined several forums a few years ago (bikes, scooters, motorcycles, pens, watches, and clothing/shoes/etc.) but I am really only an active member here. I realized I do not have the time, desire, or wherewithal to be an active participant on all of them though I found the watch forums to have the most annoying and combative know-it-alls.