User Tag List

Page 150 of 150 FirstFirst ... 140141142143144145146147148149150
Results 2,981 to 2,986 of 2986

Thread: timepieces

  1. #2981
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    6,087
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    One could surmise that Rolex’s margin might be beyond 30% on the gold models, when you take into the price of gold, the actual weight of the gold in the watch, the price variance between the gold and the stainless models and the market demand. Also, I believe that Rolex is owned by a foundation, which is registered as a charity and pays no corporate income tax which certainly helps the margins. They must be doing something right as sales don’t seem to be sluggish.

    In terms of offering a discounted replacement for the Tissot, good on them as not too many firms stay in business that long or recognize the need to help a customer. Take a 1967 Ford Galaxie (blown engine and transmission) back to your Ford dealer and see if they give you a Fusion at 60% off sticker.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  2. #2982
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've posted this before. Jason Musgrave's Seiko which he sold in support of the Fukishima Disaster relief fund.
    What I dig about this watch is first and foremost it is as tough as Jason Musgrave. I never take it off other than to work on electrics or to switch to my Omega.
    Jason had some tasteful work done which is lost on my foolish uneducated eyes HOWEVER the cool factor, to me, are the dual English and Kanji dates and the ridiculously accurate time.

    This is the work Jason had done:
    Seiko 6306-7001
    Jack Alexyon at IWW did the work. This is the uber-rare and coveted Japan-only version. IWW did the custom work several years ago.
    Beadblasted case
    PVD Bezel
    Domed Sapphire
    Custom second hand


    Thanks Jason, let me know if you ever want it back. Good luck, you'll have to trade me for something equally wonderful.
    I've become a big fan of the Seiko cushion case watches, my 'mini turtle' gets a ton of wrist time. I'll eventually swap the crystal for a sapphire piece, and get rid of the stupid cyclops (as demonstrated in the pic below, it's in the way more than it helps), but other than that I really, really dig this thing. 42mm case with a 43mm lug to lug means it's a reasonable size and fits my skinny wrist at the same time.



    I'm also interested in the new 'land tortoise' models, more of a traditional turtle case (4:00 crown) but mini-turtle sized, and they're thin, under 12mm. Sapphire crystal, applied markers (not pressed from the back of the dial like most Seikos) and bi-directional non-clicking bezel. I'm not in love with any of the current colorways, but when they come out with one in a color I like I'll pick one up. I'm pretty sure the bezel insert can be swapped with any sloped SKX insert too, so you can get rid of the useless (to me) compass bezel and get a timing bezel instead.


    Pic from Sakura - https://www.sakurawatches.com/seiko-...master-sbdy099
    Last edited by dgaddis; 1 Week Ago at 04:35 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  3. #2983
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    131
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    v happy the conversation has moved away from the g shocks

  4. #2984
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLP, MN
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    I've become a big fan of the Seiko cushion case watches, my 'mini turtle' gets a ton of wrist time. I'll eventually swap the crystal for a sapphire piece, and get rid of the stupid cyclops (as demonstrated in the pic below, it's in the way more than it helps), but other than that I really, really dig this thing. 42mm case with a 43mm lug to lug means it's a reasonable size and fits my skinny wrist at the same time.


    I've been eyeing up the Seiko mini-turtle watches for a long time. How big is your wrist?

  5. #2985
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,103
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by fmbp View Post
    I've been eyeing up the Seiko mini-turtle watches for a long time. How big is your wrist?
    ~6.75" wrist, and it fits GREAT.

    So I caved...I've got an SRPG17 ordered and inbound. Turns out the bezel insert is the same size as the SKX *I think*, so if it is I'm gonna swap the insert for an all-black ceramic timing bezel insert.

    Green mini turtle vs the new "gilded tortoise"
    Case - 42.3mm vs 42.4mm
    Lug to lug - 43.0mm vs 45.2mm
    Thickness - 12.8mm vs 11.7mm

    That sub-12mm thickness is especially cool. Will report back whenever it shows up.

    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  6. #2986
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SLP, MN
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    ~6.75" wrist, and it fits GREAT.

    So I caved...I've got an SRPG17 ordered and inbound. Turns out the bezel insert is the same size as the SKX *I think*, so if it is I'm gonna swap the insert for an all-black ceramic timing bezel insert.

    Green mini turtle vs the new "gilded tortoise"
    Case - 42.3mm vs 42.4mm
    Lug to lug - 43.0mm vs 45.2mm
    Thickness - 12.8mm vs 11.7mm

    That sub-12mm thickness is especially cool. Will report back whenever it shows up.

    Nice! I also have a 6.75" wrist.

    Hmm . . . now to broach the topic of a new watch with my wife. If I don't report back in a while, come looking for my buried body in my back yard!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •