User Tag List

Page 141 of 146 FirstFirst ... 131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 2,801 to 2,820 of 2916

Thread: timepieces

  1. #2801
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    You're actually out of touch with the world, or at least the USA. It's not all old rich white guys buying this stuff, there is new money out there from high-tech industries where 20 something olds are making a killing. I watched a home fixer-up show out of New York City for several months and...
    ...So it's not old rich white guys, these people are young rich people of any gender and any race.
    This is sarcasm, right?


    ...right?
    Jason Babcock

  2. #2802
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    139
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    This is sarcasm, right?


    ...right?
    Maybe I should just let you figure it out.

  3. #2803
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    In the various watch places I browse on the web it’s very rare to see a pic of a watch on a non-white persons arm. Maybe I’m just not looking in high end enough places...

    Anyhow, got the crown stem cut to size and fitted the bezel. If the new chapter ring fits then great, if not, no worries it looks fine without it.

    Very happy with how this turned out!





    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  4. #2804
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    Maybe I should just let you figure it out.
    Thank God. For a second there I was worried you were characterizing US economic trends based on television shows.

    On an aside, I was watching MTV cribs, and it appears that the African American community is largely flush with cash and most are driving Bugatti’s and Ferrari.
    Jason Babcock

  5. #2805
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    Thank God. For a second there I was worried you were characterizing US economic trends based on television shows.

    On an aside, I was watching MTV cribs, and it appears that the African American community is largely flush with cash and most are driving Bugatti’s and Ferrari.
    You obviously didn’t see the one with the YingYang twins. Their house is in some middle class ATL suburb that looks just like the one I grew up in and the only thing in their pantry is Crunk Juice and Ramen. It’s a great episode if you can find it anywhere LOL.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  6. #2806
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    2,178
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    There is a great article looking at how MTV represented folks with different races. Sounds like the YingYang twins episode fits the narrative.

    From

    "MTV's popular television series “Cribs” displays the homes of famous athletes and entertainers. “Cribs” presents these male athletes and their households as exemplars of “making it.” This article examines the representation of male athletes and how various types of “successful” masculinity are conflated with race and class. We found two dominant models of successful masculinity, James Bond and Cool Pose. “Cribs” clearly demarcates between Black and White athletes, which essentializes race. Simultaneously, “Cribs” presents race as performative styles providing the audience with opportunities to consume “the other.” We argue that this paradoxical dynamic is utilized to sell the cool lifestyle and has multiple implications, including depoliticizing race, class, and gender."

    Smith, Maureen & Beal, Becky. (2007). “So You Can See How the Other Half Lives” MTV “Cribs”' Use of “the Other” in Framing Successful Athletic Masculinities. Journal of Sport & Social Issues. 31. 103-127. 10.1177/0193723507300483.
    Jason Babcock

  7. #2807
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by mjbabcock View Post
    There is a great article looking at how MTV represented folks with different races. Sounds like the YingYang twins episode fits the narrative.

    From

    "MTV's popular television series “Cribs” displays the homes of famous athletes and entertainers. “Cribs” presents these male athletes and their households as exemplars of “making it.” This article examines the representation of male athletes and how various types of “successful” masculinity are conflated with race and class. We found two dominant models of successful masculinity, James Bond and Cool Pose. “Cribs” clearly demarcates between Black and White athletes, which essentializes race. Simultaneously, “Cribs” presents race as performative styles providing the audience with opportunities to consume “the other.” We argue that this paradoxical dynamic is utilized to sell the cool lifestyle and has multiple implications, including depoliticizing race, class, and gender."

    Smith, Maureen & Beal, Becky. (2007). “So You Can See How the Other Half Lives” MTV “Cribs”' Use of “the Other” in Framing Successful Athletic Masculinities. Journal of Sport & Social Issues. 31. 103-127. 10.1177/0193723507300483.
    When I saw that episode I remember thinking they were either getting royally screwed on their contracts and weren't making what they should, or, they were smarter than most and weren't pissing their money away on stupid stuff.

    Start at 12:30. LOL, I forgot about that sad ass fish tank... 14:30 is the pantry LOL

    EDIT to add, comments section says they rented the house for the show. .

    Last edited by dgaddis; 03-02-2021 at 11:44 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  8. #2808
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    In the various watch places I browse on the web it’s very rare to see a pic of a watch on a non-white persons arm. Maybe I’m just not looking in high end enough places...

    Anyhow, got the crown stem cut to size and fitted the bezel. If the new chapter ring fits then great, if not, no worries it looks fine without it.

    Very happy with how this turned out!





    Dustin that turned out beautifully!

    Did I miss what movement you used?
    laughter has no foreign accent.

  9. #2809
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    19,030
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    I can't imagine wearing any of these. My wrist is only ~6" in diameter. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch that is rated to 300m I bought for $150 about 15 years ago. I think the case is max 38mm. If it ever breaks, I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  10. #2810
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I can't imagine wearing any of these. My wrist is only ~6" in diameter. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch that is rated to 300m I bought for $150 about 15 years ago. I think the case is max 38mm. If it ever breaks, I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement.
    The one I just posted is 38mm!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    Dustin that turned out beautifully!

    Did I miss what movement you used?
    The movement/dial/handset is straight out of an SRPD25 4th gen 'Monster', so it's an NH36. Using the whole module I didn't have to fiddle with installing the hands.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  11. #2811
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    2,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I can't imagine wearing any of these. My wrist is only ~6" in diameter. I have a Citizen Eco-Drive diver's watch that is rated to 300m I bought for $150 about 15 years ago. I think the case is max 38mm. If it ever breaks, I doubt I'll be able to find a replacement.
    The trend is swinging back to smaller watches these days. I'm sure you'd be able to find something.

  12. #2812
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    The one I just posted is 38mm!
    I can't believe that's only 38mm. Looks huge. 20mm between the lugs?

    Can you provide a rundown of what tools you have/ use? I really hate the fact that I have zero ability to even remove a case back.
    -Dustin

  13. #2813
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Anyone still watching this thread have advice on 50 yr b-day watch?

    My brother turns 50 this year. He wears a shirt and tie, often a jacket, daily. I was thinking of finding something from his birth year like an omega seamaster 168.022 I thought I found a good one on ebay, but there was no serial # on the case back inside near the ref number 168022, and most of the pics I found online at other websites had a serial # there--so I worried it was fake and let it go.

    I'm pooling resources with siblings and sister-in-law, but budget is probably under 2k unless I can rationalize spending more (investment :), true heirloom).

    If anyone has advice on what to look for in a used watch from 1971, or perhaps a model other than the omega seamaster 168.022 that would be great.

  14. #2814
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    Anyone still watching this thread have advice on 50 yr b-day watch?

    My brother turns 50 this year. He wears a shirt and tie, often a jacket, daily. I was thinking of finding something from his birth year like an omega seamaster 168.022 I thought I found a good one on ebay, but there was no serial # on the case back inside near the ref number 168022, and most of the pics I found online at other websites had a serial # there--so I worried it was fake and let it go.

    I'm pooling resources with siblings and sister-in-law, but budget is probably under 2k unless I can rationalize spending more (investment :), true heirloom).

    If anyone has advice on what to look for in a used watch from 1971, or perhaps a model other than the omega seamaster 168.022 that would be great.

    Avoid eBay even with their new Authenticity Guarantee Service (which only works for watches over $2000) because it can be the wild west with many fakes, frankenwatches, and other unseemly stuff going on. Chrono24 is not much better. Stick with the larger pre-owned online services and talk to someone; they are salespeople but most of them really love watches and will help find something both interesting and within your budget:
    https://www.bobswatches.com/
    https://www.crownandcaliber.com/
    https://www.thewatchbox.com/

    You might also want to try a "trusted" local dealer that sells pre-owned watches because they often come form their customers who upgrade to something else.

    It may also be worth considering something new. The Tudor Black Bay 36mm and 41mm are fantastic watches for the money (although more than you want to spend):
    https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche...41/m79540-0004
    https://www.tudorwatch.com/en/watche...41/m79540-0006

    As has been mentioned before in this thread, and by many in the industry, these are not investments (or heirloom pieces) but rather expensive toys; if anyone tells you otherwise they are not telling you the truth.

  15. #2815
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    I can't believe that's only 38mm. Looks huge. 20mm between the lugs?

    Can you provide a rundown of what tools you have/ use? I really hate the fact that I have zero ability to even remove a case back.
    Tools: I have mostly cheap stuff.
    I have a press like this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Watch-Cry...YAAOSw7wFcGGIr

    I use the blue caseback tool from this kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The little watch case holder is too small for most watches. Haven't used the orange handled pry, but the caseback knife is nice and thin but very soft. I haven't found a good caseback knife yet really.

    And a bunch of the stuff from this kit - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    The bracelet vice and the caseback tool in ^^ that kit are real POS, both broke, the caseback tool scratched the caseback when it did it.
    But the plastic block to hold a bracelet + the hammer + the pin punches works great for sizing bracelets. Much better than the vice did even before it broke. For screwed links I have a Wiha driver, I wouldn't trust the screw drivers that came in that kit.

    This case is supposed to be the same dimensions as an SKX013, so 38mm case, 43mm lug to lug, 13mm thick - that looks right, but I haven't measured it yet. Lug width is indeed 20mm.

    Last edited by dgaddis; 03-03-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  16. #2816
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Thanks for those links! I did put a smiley face by the rationalization for spending more. Did you have an opinion on the old omega with the cal. 564?

  17. #2817
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    Thanks for those links! I did put a smiley face by the rationalization for spending more. Did you have an opinion on the old omega with the cal. 564?

    I am not familiar with Omega watches especially "vintage" ones having never owned any. My high end watch of choice is Rolex and I am trying to make my own vintage ones having purchased the first one new in 1994. It will never be considered vintage and command auction level pricing no matter how long I own it.

    My issue with true vintage or older pre-owned (more than 20 years) watches is that you never really know what you get unless you purchase it from a reputable dealer and then you will pay a premium price. I also don't like that prices are higher than they should be because many new "collectors" have entered the market over the past few years and driven up prices. Watches are so much better made today, especially when it comes to water resistance, which can affect daily wear so what not get a new one? This is often what I tell friends and family when they ask me for advice on what to get. Birth year watches are amazing in some respects, such as nostalgia, but the reality of owning one is not worth it to me.

    If you are really set on getting a birthyear watch, this might be another really good option as the owner often includes the dates in his listings and can also help you find something with a specific manufacture year that the other larger online sellers may not want to deal with.
    https://theoandharris.com/

  18. #2818
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    404
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    thanks for the well considered info. I'm not a rolex fan simply for the same reason I don't own a BMW--the many members of that club I've known personally, I didn't like. That is probably silly, but I seem to do that. Once upon a time I was seriously considering the marines, but when I looked at the guys in my company who were selecting USMC, it was obvious something was amiss. Now that I've been on this forum (and the paceline), I've seen several members with rolex who would have given me the opposite impression, but the various co-workers, superiors, parents of the boy's classmates, left me anti-rolex. Aesthetically I seem drawn to IWC. I just bought a birth year watch for myself ( a bit late for 50, but i didn't get any sort of milestone gift--my own fault as I downplay my bday). Its an old omega dynamic 1 day date. It was $500 and I'm sure I'll have to take it to my local watch place since i read the movement is only accessed via the dial. I almost bought a Hamilton military pilot watch from the Vietnam era, but other than the birth year, it was wrong (vietnam, pilot= not me).

    Your point is well taken on having a reliable functional watch. Maybe I'll see what he's wearing on rare facebook pics. He lives over 2k miles away so I see him rarely. I was thinking I could get more watch for the money vintage (aside from rolex), but I'll try to do some research on a newer watch under 2k and see what I can find. I've got a few months

  19. #2819
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    thanks for the well considered info. I'm not a rolex fan simply for the same reason I don't own a BMW--the many members of that club I've known personally, I didn't like. That is probably silly, but I seem to do that. Once upon a time I was seriously considering the marines, but when I looked at the guys in my company who were selecting USMC, it was obvious something was amiss. Now that I've been on this forum (and the paceline), I've seen several members with rolex who would have given me the opposite impression, but the various co-workers, superiors, parents of the boy's classmates, left me anti-rolex. Aesthetically I seem drawn to IWC. I just bought a birth year watch for myself ( a bit late for 50, but i didn't get any sort of milestone gift--my own fault as I downplay my bday). Its an old omega dynamic 1 day date. It was $500 and I'm sure I'll have to take it to my local watch place since i read the movement is only accessed via the dial. I almost bought a Hamilton military pilot watch from the Vietnam era, but other than the birth year, it was wrong (vietnam, pilot= not me).

    Your point is well taken on having a reliable functional watch. Maybe I'll see what he's wearing on rare facebook pics. He lives over 2k miles away so I see him rarely. I was thinking I could get more watch for the money vintage (aside from rolex), but I'll try to do some research on a newer watch under 2k and see what I can find. I've got a few months

    I try my best to not judge others by how they spend their money so I am not really anti-anything whether it be BMW, Rolex, or Omega. For the record my wife and I have only owned 2 Subaru Outbacks in the past 20 years because we really do not fall into the car as status symbol thing; It is a tool to get us from point A to point B.

    I own a Rolex because my father was gifted one by my mother when they got married and then another one for his 40th, my grandfather wore one, and my older brother got one from his wife for his 40th. As such, it is a family thing and not to impress others. I purchased my first Rolex when I received my first significant promotion and salary increase not that long after college. I got my second one from my wife for my 40th. I also bought a Submariner in the past few years but sold it because I did not really connect with it and noticed everyone had one which is not why I enjoy Rolex.

    IWC is a wonderful brand with great history and they make fantastic watches. If you can find a pre-owned one (most people hang onto them) the Mark XVIII is a great all around watch that can span beach to boardroom. You are wise to start early so you do not feel pressured to get anything the appears to be a good deal but may not be since there are literally thousands of great pre-owned and new watches to choose from.

    In the new and possibly under $2k category, Oris is another great brand with history that has been making some really cool stuff lately. And it is hard not to love the Sinn 104 which is a classic and well regarded amongst watch collectors but not really known to the general public.

  20. #2820
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Is he a watch guy? If not, it might be a well intentioned gift that misses the mark. If his idea of a sweet watch is the latest Apple gizmo, than a vintage auto might seem .... quaint, at best.

    Also, having played around with a 50 year old Rolex that belonged to my wife's grands .... meh, would not want to deal with it daily. But for the true connoisseur, a half a century old watch is the bee's knees. For the rest of us, it's just that. Old. Like their knees and back.
    Best Regards,

    Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •