User Tag List

Page 140 of 146 FirstFirst ... 130131132133134135136137138139140141142143144145146 LastLast
Results 2,781 to 2,800 of 2916

Thread: timepieces

  1. #2781
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    A fun new addition to my collection :) Naturally the image doesn't orient correctly.
    IMG_8462.jpg

  2. #2782
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    10,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Yesterday, Hodinkee launched a limited edition Heuer Carrera Dato in black,
    and even at $7250 they were sold out in a few minutes.
    Pandemic has done weird things to the watch market!

    https://limited.hodinkee.com/tag-heuer/

    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

  3. #2783
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    The Hodinkee exclusives have become super popular for sure, including with scalpers. The John Mayer G Shocks are on eBay for ~$600. There's two of those Tags listed on eBay for $10,0000 each already.

    Funnily they blacked out the price on their order confirmation.

    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  4. #2784
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Dresher, PA
    Posts
    5,166
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Yesterday, Hodinkee launched a limited edition Heuer Carrera Dato in black,
    and even at $7250 they were sold out in a few minutes.
    Pandemic has done weird things to the watch market!

    https://limited.hodinkee.com/tag-heuer/

    I usually love heuer throwback chronos, but that is a swing and a miss for me. It needs another white register for balance, and put the date at either 6 or 4:30, or just get rid of it. And $7 grand? no.

  5. #2785
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    10,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    The Hodinkee exclusives have become super popular for sure, including with scalpers.
    There's two of those Tags listed on eBay for $10,0000 each already.

    Funnily they blacked out the price on their order confirmation.
    It's really disappointing this seems like the new norm with anything "limited edition", half them go to flippers.
    Same thing is happening with Audiophile vinyl, i guess everything old white guys are into, people have too much money.

    -g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

  6. #2786
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,048
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    It's really disappointing this seems like the new norm with anything "limited edition", half them go to flippers.
    Same thing is happening with Audiophile vinyl, i guess everything old white guys are into, people have too much money.

    -g
    Same thing with pocket knives. Total insanity when a new product drops only to see it on eBay at a premium hours later. Tons of fun for actual collectors and users. I'd add, though, that it's old white guys with nothing better to do than wait for shit to "drop".
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  7. #2787
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    16,048
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    I usually love heuer throwback chronos, but that is a swing and a miss for me. It needs another white register for balance, and put the date at either 6 or 4:30, or just get rid of it. And $7 grand? no.
    I had one of the first run of limited edition Heuer Monacos and it was a beautiful watch. It was truly limited and "reasonably" priced. Then Tag went off the rails with half the line being "limited edition" Heuer throwbacks that were in ample supply with rising prices. My wife no longer carries Tag, so I don't pay nearly as much attention, but this Hodinkee limited at $7,000 feels like the logical destination of that runaway train. They've gone full Tag Heuer with this one.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  8. #2788
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Thinking my next watch purchase will be one of the new Seiko GMTs. Black dial, rather than blue...if the $1,400 price estimate is accurate, that is a bargain. Especially for a true GMT.



    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...mt-introducing

    The "limited" SPB213 is really speaking to me, too.

    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/se...13-introducing
    -Dustin

  9. #2789
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Berkeley, CA
    Posts
    2,667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanEasley View Post
    I usually love heuer throwback chronos, but that is a swing and a miss for me. It needs another white register for balance, and put the date at either 6 or 4:30, or just get rid of it. And $7 grand? no.
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I think it's one of the more interesting LEs they've done in a while and smart for Tag Heuer to do something that's not yet another Monaco LE. It's simple, classicly styled, referencing a pretty significant reference from their catalog, practical for what 99% of watch nerds really need a chrono to do, and at a size Tag Heuer could sell a lot more chronos at if they wanted to.

    I figure there's at least a couple grand 'dink surcharge on this one, but if Tag pumped these out at $4,000 they might make a lot more sense.

  10. #2790
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    So the Monster I picked up a few weeks ago...loooong story, but after getting frustrated with a crystal swap I said 'eff it' and ordered up the parts to do a 'custom' build. The Monster movement/dial/handset will go into this CrystalTimes CT712 case, which is an 38mm SKX013 sized case w/no crown guards. All the parts came in today minus the bezel and bezel insert which I have coming from Namoki and should be here middle of next week.

    I may have also ordered a new green mini turtle from Japan....



    This case feels tiny in hand. Will be interesting to see how it looks once build up.
    Last edited by dgaddis; 02-26-2021 at 02:07 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  11. #2791
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    5,435
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Are those normal Seiko springbars? I forgot how fat they were...damn...
    -Dustin

  12. #2792
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Are those normal Seiko springbars? I forgot how fat they were...damn...
    haha, yep, they're the fat seiko bars. Beefy indeed.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  13. #2793
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    I realized that I deserved a new watch for my birthday, so I bought another Sinn.

    IMG_20210226_154215635_PORTRAIT.jpg

  14. #2794
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    The chapter ring I bought doesn't fit, the ID is too small for this dial. You don't strictly need one, but I have a skinny version incoming that should (hopefully) fit. It'll be here by the end of the week hopefully. The bezel and bezel insert are coming in today. Once the chapter ring is here I'll button it all up and cut the stem to fit. But it's looking pretty good so far. I wish the crystal didn't have the big bevel on it, but I think it'll be less noticeable once the bezel is on.

    It fits great, love the size!







    In the mean time, rocking the trusty Oceanus today.

    Last edited by dgaddis; 03-01-2021 at 08:57 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  15. #2795
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    20,631
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Should be cool according to my opinion.

    https://www.keeperoftimemovie.com/

  16. #2796
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    2,912
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    The chapter ring I bought doesn't fit, the ID is too small for this dial. You don't strictly need one, but I have a skinny version incoming that should (hopefully) fit. It'll be here by the end of the week hopefully. The bezel and bezel insert are coming in today. Once the chapter ring is here I'll button it all up and cut the stem to fit. But it's looking pretty good so far. I wish the crystal didn't have the big bevel on it, but I think it'll be less noticeable once the bezel is on.
    Almost all Seiko SKX007/SKX009/SKX013/SK5/Sports 5/Turtle/Samurai/etc. dials are interchangeable because they are the same 28.5mm size but the chapter rings are different sizes to close the gap between the dial and case. So, you need an SKX013 specific chapter ring to make it work. It might be fastest to get one from CrystalTimes if they have one in-stock on the USA site.

    https://usa.crystaltimes.net/product...chapter-rings/
    https://www.namokimods.com/collectio...-chapter-rings

    Also, the same companies you are purchasing parts from often stock both "flat" and "sloped" crystals as well as bezel inserts to match whichever crystal you have. You need to read the descriptions to ensure you are getting the part you need.

  17. #2797
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    7,082
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Almost all Seiko SKX007/SKX009/SKX013/SK5/Sports 5/Turtle/Samurai/etc. dials are interchangeable because they are the same 28.5mm size but the chapter rings are different sizes to close the gap between the dial and case. So, you need an SKX013 specific chapter ring to make it work. It might be fastest to get one from CrystalTimes if they have one in-stock on the USA site.

    https://usa.crystaltimes.net/product...chapter-rings/
    https://www.namokimods.com/collectio...-chapter-rings
    There's more to it than that though. I got a chapter ring from Crystaltimes but it's made for 'skx013' dials, which have the same OD as other Seiko divers but the markers sit closer to the center. The markers on my dial go way out near the edge of the dial, so the chapter ring I bought sits on top of them.

    Here's some 'skx013' dials, note that the day/date window sits further outboard than the hour markers.


    vs my dial where the markers sit further out than the day/date window.


    The new chapter ring I bought I got here, and it's made to fit dials with markers that sit close to the edge. This pic shows the 'skinny' chapter ring on an OEM SKX013 dial. It may still not fit my dial....but I don't actually need one. The chapter ring isn't captured between the crystal/case like on the SKX007 models, it's captured between the dial and case. But there's a lip inside the case for the dial to catch on, so the chapter ring isn't mechanically required.


    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Also, the same companies you are purchasing parts from often stock both "flat" and "sloped" crystals as well as bezel inserts to match whichever crystal you have. You need to read the descriptions to ensure you are getting the part you need.
    Crystals are either have a beveled edge or not, bezel inserts are sloped or flat. On the SKX013 based models all the crystals are beveled I think because the bezel would hit them if they weren't, that's certainly how it looks comparing pics anyhow, and no one sells a bevel-less crystal for the SKX013 models. Compare this pic to mine above, it's the same crystal, but note how little of the bevel you can see in this pic vs the pics of my watch ::

    Last edited by dgaddis; 03-01-2021 at 10:24 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  18. #2798
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    3,476
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Dustin you are inspiring me to pick back up on that SKX case we welded fixed bars into sometime back...
    laughter has no foreign accent.

  19. #2799
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    It's really disappointing this seems like the new norm with anything "limited edition", half them go to flippers.
    Same thing is happening with Audiophile vinyl, i guess everything old white guys are into, people have too much money.

    -g
    You're actually out of touch with the world, or at least the USA. It's not all old rich white guys buying this stuff, there is new money out there from high-tech industries where 20 something olds are making a killing. I watched a home fixer-up show out of New York City for several months and about 90% of the buyers were in their 20's and 30's and all worked some sort of high-tech job. These people were buying million-dollar-plus homes and then adding another $150,000 to $300,000 in improvements to the properties and didn't bat an eye at the dollar amounts. A lot of these high tech guys are and gals of any race on that show were not interested in digital watches either, in fact, all the ones I could see on that show well enough were wearing analog watches, not sure what brands they were but if they can afford million dollar plus homes and the upgrades I doubt they're wearing cheap ones.

    When I go to my record store to look for some vinyl I see mostly young people buying vinyl, there have been times I went in there and I was the only person over 35 and I'm over 60! Even the counter guy who's in his 20's knows more about vinyl and classic rock music than I do!

    And over 2/3rds of the new expensive high-end bikes being sold are being sold to people under 40. This is not unusual, I saw this happened back in the '80s with people in their 20's and 30's working in the corporate world buying high-end expensive golf clubs, I knew one guy in my office who was 30 years old spent $1,000 for each club and got the whole set! He thought it was going to improve his game, I tried to tell him wouldn't but he didn't listen, the Monday after a weekend of the course with his new clubs he came to work a bit pissed, I asked him how his golf game went, he told me to shut up! LOL!! And these young people today are doing the same thing my friend did, buy expensive bikes and think they'll be faster, sorry but no.

    So it's not old rich white guys, these people are young rich people of any gender and any race.

  20. #2800
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Coquitlam, British Columbia
    Posts
    10,230
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: timepieces

    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    You're actually out of touch with the world, or at least the USA. It's not all old rich white guys buying this stuff, there is new money out there from high-tech industries where 20 something olds are making a killing. I watched a home fixer-up show out of New York City for several months and about 90% of the buyers were in their 20's and 30's and all worked some sort of high-tech job. These people were buying million-dollar-plus homes and then adding another $150,000 to $300,000 in improvements to the properties and didn't bat an eye at the dollar amounts. A lot of these high tech guys are and gals of any race on that show were not interested in digital watches either, in fact, all the ones I could see on that show well enough were wearing analog watches, not sure what brands they were but if they can afford million dollar plus homes and the upgrades I doubt they're wearing cheap ones.
    Yeah, because reality TV shows are such a realistic depiction and the million dollar plus housing market is definitely majority under 30.
    I'm out of touch? LOL.


    Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    When I go to my record store to look for some vinyl I see mostly young people buying vinyl, there have been times I went in there and I was the only person over 35 and I'm over 60! Even the counter guy who's in his 20's knows more about vinyl and classic rock music than I do!
    I'm talking about the $100+ limited edition audiophile market, like Mobile Fidelity One-Steps and such, not stuff that's even sold in most stores.
    It's well documented that young people are into vinyl, if you have actual evidence they're buying high end reissues of jazz, that'd be news to me.


    -g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •