Results 2,741 to 2,746 of 2746

Thread: timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Matthew and Choke are right - nothing inherently wrong with Rolexes; they're fine timepieces and good value at MSRP. In fact, they're free. Hear me out - the sports models appreciate predictably. I have a Seadweller I purchased in 2002 - even after 20 years of hard wear, I could sell it for 3.5 times what I paid - well ahead of inflation and I have enjoyed it immensely. I could sell the GMT I lucked into last month for 1.6 MSRP. Most other brands in the same league (and higher horology like VC and Lange) depreciate.

Regarding perceptions - like a fine steel bike, a 911 GT3, etc. there's something inherent that sets them apart and inspires the cult-like devotion. And like a fine bike, nice bottle of wine, 911 GT3, etc. there will be douches who buy them for the name with zero appreciation of what makes them special. For the last few years, SS sports models are near impossible to find at dealers. Rolex controls production to maintain the value of the brand. And yes, some dealers are snobby. Walk out when you encounter them. Others are watch enthusiasts who are nice to speak with and will get you a sports model if they know that you 'get it.' I believe that explains my luck with the GMT. And finally, Rolex is a foundation, not a corporation. They do some decent things with the revenue. Check out rolex.org (as opposed to the watch site, rolex.com)
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good timepiece is not a rational decision governed by the normal logic. none of us have any delusions that a solid timex or casio will not be sufficient. we are all equally wrong. the heart wants what the heart wants. if you can afford it, get what the heart wants and dont try and rationalize it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ I hear you...my wife and I enjoyed a 2-week tour of Italy in the Spring of 2019 and I purchased a large dial digital watch with a rubber strap for the trip, in case I either forgot my good watch in a hotel or had it nabbed. That $10 watch is still running and holding time and replacement batteries cost 1/2 of what the watch did.
    rw saunders
    peace, solidarity and coffee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Rolex and Grand Seiko are really very different in design, construction, and philosophy. I'm sure people will perceive bias in this statement, but I was very much anti-Rolex until I married into the watch/jewelry industry and started really paying attention. The construction quality for the price point is without a doubt better than their competitors. Grand Seiko are very well made...but they're not for everyone. Then again, if you're really buying for quality, you should be looking at Patek Philippe or maybe Vacheron or A. Lange and Sohne.

Tudors are a fantastic value. Rolex construction quality with price-point appropriate materials (or better) and great designs. Stock is also quite a bit easier to find unless you're looking for a Black Bay 58 Blue.
    Yes, they are different in design. Craftmanship is so high for both but the GS, to me, with their dials especially, take it to a new level. And their prices are something a mere mortal like me can aspire to. Not to mention I don't have to sacrifice a kidney and kiss the AD's ass just get on a waiting list to buy one.

I like your list of "quality" watches. Those are also drool-worthy. There are a lot more but that's fodder for another day.

This thread has been surprisingly devoid of Invicta fan boys. What a refreshing change of pace. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    Not to mention I don't have to sacrifice a kidney and kiss the AD's ass just get on a waiting list to buy one.
    FWIW, like most things, if youíre dealing with a good dealer, you donít have to do that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    FWIW, like most things, if you’re dealing with a good dealer, you don’t have to do that.
    in my head, if i ever get to that point, i'm going to hit up a family owned shop in MIA.
    -Dustin