Results 1,981 to 1,994 of 1994

Thread: timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

That looks great. Better than the renderings.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes it does. It look so much slimmer than the renderings. I do not like the knurling on the sides of the case otherwise it is a great design.

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Baby steps according to my opinion.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Ya. But you have to start with a sketch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- i like the knurling on the sides.., relative to my smooth/polished RS north star pointer...
    rugged visual matching the theme and set knob...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, too, enjoy the knurling. Somewhat Breguet-esque.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I reached out to RGM because I am going to be in NYC late October to visit with family and friends as well as attend two watch shows. Rolland said he may have a prototype with him so I am excited to have the option to see it "in the metal".

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Ya. But you have to start with a sketch.
    Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    --- i like the knurling on the sides.., relative to my smooth/polished RS north star pointer...
    rugged visual matching the theme and set knob...
    Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    I, too, enjoy the knurling. Somewhat Breguet-esque.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roland linked me with this page, so maybe you folks are interested.

Update on the RGM Model 5-GMT-RS "Richard Sachs" Version — RGM Watch Co.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RS, your watch looks great. Amazing to have a watch made to resonate with you like this.
    Not sure anything can stand up through 10 ATMO though !
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    RS, your watch looks great. Amazing to have a watch made to resonate with you like this.
    Not sure anything can stand up through 10 ATMO though !
    That would be great if it said ATMO for the pressure rating on the dial!
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    That would be great if it said ATMO for the pressure rating on the dial!
    It was updated from "ATM" to "ATMO" on the back by popular request (me included).

Go back a few posts and you will see the design pics and farther back the discussion that led to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What do you experienced watch guys think of this? I bought a used micro sized maker watch earlier this year. It’s an automatic using the NH15 movement. It kept horrible time and after a month or so would sometimes just stop completely. Admittedly I got a really really good deal on the watch so a movement repair or replacement didn’t bother me at all. I sent the watch to the maker in April to be looked at and they recommended a movement replacement. I just got it back. The watch keeps acceptable time but the second hand doesn’t evenly or smoothly sweep and between the 4 and 7 hand it stops and advances two seconds at a time. But again, it keeps good time. I contacted maker again and the tech told me that she timed it in multiple positions and and if she makes changes to smoothen out the second hand it will affect timing, essentially telling me to go away. But damn, ive got other automatics and I’ve never seen a watch through a quarter of its movement just go chunky and wonky and still keep good time. Should I just put up with it? Is this rare but normal with cheaper automatic movements? I like the watch. I’m just kinda peeved.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 5 Days Ago at 08:57 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    What do you experienced watch guys think of this? I bought a used micro sized maker watch earlier this year. It’s an automatic using the NH15 movement. It kept horrible time and after a month or so would sometimes just stop completely. Admittedly I got a really really good deal on the watch so a movement repair or replacement didn’t bother me at all. I sent the watch to the maker in April to be looked at and they recommended a movement replacement. I just got it back. The watch keeps acceptable time but the second hand doesn’t evenly or smoothly sweep and between the 4 and 7 hand it stops and advances two seconds at a time. But again, it keeps good time. I contacted maker again and the tech told me that she timed it in multiple positions and and if she makes changes to smoothen out the second hand it will affect timing, essentially telling me to go away. But damn, ive got other automatics and I’ve never seen a watch through a quarter of its movement just go chunky and wonky and still keep good time. Should I just put up with it? Is this rare but normal with cheaper automatic movements? I like the watch. I’m just kinda peeved.
    To start with (and please do not throw rotten eggs my way), it appears you bought something used with a known problem. With that said...

It really does not matter if the watchmaker "timed it" in different positions if the movement overall is not keeping a smooth seconds hand. That's like saying my bike chain is really smooth until I shift the gears because then it skips. It may be as simple as having not installed the seconds hand correctly, a piece of debris affecting the movement that cannot be seen from the outside of a finished watch, and other possible issues. The watchmaker should have given you a warranty on their work and there should be some type of warranty on the movement so I would follow up again and request that it be fixed or the movement replaced (again). I would go for smooth seconds hand over accuracy (see below).

Seiko movements are known to be very durable but they do not always keep great time. There are literally hundreds of videos on YouTube about this very subject. The NH15 you have is the OEM version used by non-Seiko brands but is the exact same as the 6R15 used in Seiko watches. While it is better grade movement than the NH35/4R35 used in Seiko SKX, Turtle, and Monster watches, it is still a Seiko movement. Rolex watches are certified to +2/- 2 seconds a day whereas the NH15/6R15 has a -15/+25 per day accuracy.

Not sure why it took several months to get back a simple movement replacement. I have had a few Seiko watches modded by upgrading/replacing movements (as well as other parts) and the person can turn it around in 2-3 days if they have the movement in stock or 10-12 days if they need to order it.

One of the issues with microbrands and less expensive watches is that they sometimes are not worth the cost of fixing and/or servicing them when out of warranty. As an example, I watched a video a few months ago about a person complaining that their Sinn 104 cost over $500 for a routine service for a watch that only costs about $1600. That service is in line for what it should cost to service the included ETA movement but bothers people when you consider a basic Rolex service is about $750 for watches that start at $5700. Think of it this way, if someone overhauls your $10,000 bike or your $300 huffy, the time it takes to do the service will be the same and you will most probably need the same replacement parts.

My thoughts on any and all inexpensive watches, enjoy them until the stop working and then get rid of them as they are rarely (or never) worth fixing out of warranty.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes I knew what I was buying. I’m not a victim. The new movement and service cost was about $75. I’m still doing really well as it’s a brand a lot folks here love. I’ll push back on the watch brand and search the web for other known issues on the movement.
    Last edited by Jonathan; 5 Days Ago at 10:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    Yes I knew what I was buying. Iím not a victim. The new movement and service cost was about $75. Iím still doing really well as itís a brand a lot folks here love. Iíll push back on the watch brand and search the web for other known issues on the movement.
    A NH15 movement alone costs much more than $75 so you might want to ask a few more questions...I hope it turns out well for you.