User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 85

Thread: Suit buying advice from a butler.

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I have opinions.

    As a general rule, cuffs are correct on patterned suit pants, but not on solid.
    I always though the cuff was dependent on your height?
     

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    1,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by jasond View Post
    I always though the cuff was dependent on your height?
    Huh. Google suggests I'm alone in my opinion. Which makes me all the more committed to it.

    I do know that you're not supposed to cuff tuxedo pants, and maybe I extrapolated that rule out.

    I've never heard the height-dependent rule, but I've been the same height for all of my suit-buying life, so it probably never came up.
     

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Haverhill, MA
    Posts
    90
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    Huh. Google suggests I'm alone in my opinion. Which makes me all the more committed to it.

    I do know that you're not supposed to cuff tuxedo pants, and maybe I extrapolated that rule out.

    I've never heard the height-dependent rule, but I've been the same height for all of my suit-buying life, so it probably never came up.
    I heard it in some random spot. Someone was claiming cuffs make you look shorter and straight leg makes you look taller. I personally will wear either and I'm by no means tall.
     

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    10,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    I disagree here. I think a suit should say something. It should say "This man knows how to wear a suit. This man looks comfortable in his suit."
    I couldn't agree more. I've stuck with custom-made from a HK tailor for years now. A well-made, properly fit suit is like a second skin.
    GO!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Stumptown
    Posts
    2,187
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I couldn't agree more. I've stuck with custom-made from a HK tailor for years now. A well-made, properly fit suit is like a second skin.
    One day, I'll try a custom made suit. None of mine have ever really fit me in a way that felt dreamy.
     

  6. #46
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,551
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Davids, if you can't "shoot" your cuffs than the shirt sleeves are too short ;) Be the mobster. I really prefer an generous cuff.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington Court House, Ohio
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Chase, what do you think about t shirts under the dress shirt. i've seen many young people doing this and I think it looks pretty amateur. It's often done with a billowg dress shirt.
     

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Aptos
    Posts
    4,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by steve575 View Post
    Chase, what do you think about t shirts under the dress shirt. i've seen many young people doing this and I think it looks pretty amateur. It's often done with a billowg dress shirt.
    Hate it. HATE IT. I suggest having your dress shirts laundered, rather than dry cleaned. Much more comfortable and the undershirt won't be necessary. But people do whatever makes them the most comfortable. If someone insists on wearing an undershirt (usually because of perspiration), I would steer them toward a light heather grey. It won't show through your shirt as much as a white undershirt will.

    If sweat is really that much of an issue, though, you can buy pharmacy-strength antiperspirant and apply at it night before going to bed. It really does work.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Washington Court House, Ohio
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Thanks, I'm enjoying this thread. I don't wear suits that often, but when I do I like to look right.
    Like Tim said earlier, I don't think I could wear a button down collar with a suit. It may be becoming acceptable, but I'm not into it.
     

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Businessmen wearing a shirt, tie, and jacket without a nice clean undershirt beneath is pretty gross.
    Undershirts keep a person cooler and allow garments to slide easily without binding against the skin.
     

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Aptos
    Posts
    4,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    One of these days I'm going to understand the rules of clothing that "business men" seem to go by. The ones I've dealt with dress like everyone else. As well as most heads of state.

    I've gotten most of them out of bed, showered, shaved, and out the door in 15 minutes flat.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    10,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Davids, if you can't "shoot" your cuffs than the shirt sleeves are too short ;) Be the mobster. I really prefer an generous cuff.
    Fuck yeah. Jewish Mafia.
    GO!

  13. #53
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dirtville
    Posts
    13,996
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    you guys are inspiring me. im wearing a blazer to nahbs. vsalon is top notch imho
     

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    dirtphalt
    Posts
    1,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Hate it. HATE IT. I suggest having your dress shirts laundered, rather than dry cleaned. Much more comfortable and the undershirt won't be necessary. But people do whatever makes them the most comfortable. .....
    fck yeah.

    moments ago i was trying on a new shirt with old jacket sans undershirt....sa'weet.
    the shirt is the tits.
    i'm a new man.

    try one on for yourself:
    home
     

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Aptos
    Posts
    4,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    One of these days I'm going to understand the rules of clothing that "business men" seem to go by. The ones I've dealt with dress like everyone else. As well as most heads of state.

    I've gotten most of them out of bed, showered, shaved, and out the door in 15 minutes flat.
    This came off as catty. Meow, Blue Jays (kitty speak for "I'm sowwy").

    What I meant to say is that a visible undershirt does not belong in the boardroom. Then again, neither do one's nipples. Again, a heather grey undershirt is a good option here.

    Friends?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Aptos
    Posts
    4,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Fuck yeah. Jewish Mafia.
    Watch it. My grandmother's first cousin was Bugsy Siegel. AFIK, my only family member who has been assassinated.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,386
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    "...This came off as catty. Meow, Blue Jays (kitty speak for "I'm sowwy").
    What I meant to say is that a visible undershirt does not belong in the boardroom.
    Then again, neither do one's nipples. Again, a heather grey undershirt is a good option here.

    Friends?..."
    No worries and no harm done, my friend. I attributed the strong response to a rough day.
    A form-fitting undershirt simultaneously prevents visible chest hair from poking between the shirt button placket.
     

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Aptos
    Posts
    4,337
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    While I'm on a roll (or not), I figured this would be a good time to post about shoulder shapes. There are three common styles.

    Italian suits tend to have high cut armholes and concave shoulders.


    English shoulders are level and boxy.


    American suits tend to have the least amount of form and slope downwards toward the armhole.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    10,660
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Watch it. My grandmother's first cousin was Bugsy Siegel. AFIK, my only family member who has been assassinated.
    My wife's granddad was somewhere in the Cleveland hierarchy. Only photo we have of him is at her parents' wedding. Fat bald guy wearing very dark glasses. Not smiling. And then there's her great-uncle from Philly who always had flats of candy bars in the garage. Nuchem. He was a blast at the cousin's weddings back in the '80s.

    My side of the family? Tailors, accountants and physicists.
    GO!

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    BOSTON!
    Posts
    624
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Suit buying advice from a butler.

    I've never found a jacket to fit my beefy armholes in just that way. Italian looks english, and english looks rugby on me.
    Someday I'll buy bespoke, and a tailor will bend the laws of physics for me.

    Also, for fitted shirts, I can't beat the price for nordstrom's in house brand. They're not head-of-state good, but they'll do.
    I write for daily serving

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. advice for buying tix quickly online
    By soupless in forum The OT
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 09:13 PM
  2. reasons for buying a bike............................
    By dave1215 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 09:41 AM
  3. When in Rome: Buying a bike in Italy
    By heavy in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-02-2010, 02:01 AM
  4. buying groceries
    By agilismerlin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 10:00 AM
  5. Buying a house with a fixie in mind...
    By jsf in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-30-2008, 09:03 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •