User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Furniture Design

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Furniture Design

love this
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    We got this (which is amazing that my vegetarian wife ordered it with this cover. It does come in fabrics...and other animal things). It is the most comfortable thing I have ever reclined in. It is highly adjustable. I found it at a store in British Columbia for 1000 less than Design Within Reach priced it at. (I will admit I overspent at DWR on other stuff simply because they sponsor @e-RICHIE's team and I like that). It is the Corbusier LC-4. Oh, that little table is one of the ones from Craft Associates that I mentioned above.

LC-4 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My current faves:

DePadova - We ordered a sofa and some armless chairs from here. Perfect Italian. Home | De Padova

Cassina - Pure class. Cassina: Italian Designer Furniture and Luxury Interior Design

De La Espada - Excellent furniture builders. Makes Ilse Crawford’s “Settle” series of tables, high backed benches, beds, etc. Products

Zeitrum - Handmade wooden furniture from Germany. Beautiful. Look at the Turntable Oval table. Huge and beautiful. Ships in its own container because it is one piece (though made out of many pieces.) High quality furniture solid wood - Zeitraum

If you come ton NYC and want to look at furniture, there are plenty of places to go. Here are a few smaller designer businesses that carry some unique as well as classic stuff:

SUITE NY | Designer Furniture and Home Accessories

https://www.citenyc.com/

http://www.fair-design.com/

https://www.thefutureperfect.com/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    We got this (which is amazing that my vegetarian wife ordered it with this cover. It does come in fabrics...and other animal things). It is the most comfortable thing I have ever reclined in. It is highly adjustable. I found it at a store in British Columbia for 1000 less than Design Within Reach priced it at. (I will admit I overspent at DWR on other stuff simply because they sponsor @e-RICHIE's team and I like that). It is the Corbusier LC-4. Oh, that little table is one of the ones from Craft Associates that I mentioned above.

LC-4 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr
    I've sat in similar designs. Well, "sat" is a total misnomer. More like "melted into". Add headphones and a dark room... Instant sensory deprivation chamber. Without getting wet.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a reproduction of this chair made by our friend Janek as a project a while ago. He was restoring old mid-century Czech designs and obtaining the reproduction licenses to the more unique designs from remaining members of the original designer's families (sometimes not easy to do obviously.) This one was designed by Adolf Loos, a Czech-Austrian designer who was instrumental in bringing Functionalism to Austria and the Czech Republic (known then as Czechoslovakia of course.) It is known as the Knieschwimmer Chair - literally "Knee Swimming".

That chair was produced starting in the early 1900's in numerous slight variations. The one in the photograph is from 1920's. When you sit in it, your head is in the perfect position to read a newspaper held by your arms resting on the armrests (aha!) at the elbows.

Loos is a very interesting designer, and some of his geometric reduction of late Austro-Hungarian styles, populated on the interior by a mix of traditional and more modern bent chrome and wood chairs and tables influenced Le Courbusier, who, along with his cousin Pierre Jeanneret and designer Charlotte Perriand, formed a firm that designed the LC4 Chaise Lounge above.

Here's Charlotte Perriand showing how it is done:

Last edited by j44ke; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:39 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mid Century furniture is pretty popular these days but you can often find great deals at "antique" or "junk" shops. My wife and I have bought a lot of stuff used and had it reupholstered. So that hideous sofa with the psychedelic floral pattern may have great bones but nobody will buy it can now by your steal of a deal. Good quality furniture can be easily repaired so don't pass by something because the dowel pin connecting an arm is broken; drill it out and put in a new one. Finishes can be sanded down and redone to your liking.

Estate sales, yard sales, etc. can be great places to buy but you have to be persistant and patient. And an early riser. most yard sales begin at sunrise. :-)

My wife bought me a new Stressless recliner for $$$$. Six months later she snags a used one, very similar design but different color leather, for $200.

Happy Hunting!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12