User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Wash DC
    Posts
    702
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    All - I have a long weekend in NYC coming up and my partner has mentioned she'd like a new pair of earrings. We're right on the eve of another wedding anniversary (not a big one, but we're counting in decades now \_(ツ)_/,) so I thought we might as well shop where the shopping is good. Can anyone recommend a quality jeweler or sales associate? The trip is a little work-adjacent, so we weren't planning to go beyond Manhattan, but probably could if there's someone we must absolutely see in the boroughs.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    24,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    Our friend Richard Messina is a very good jeweler and goldsmith. Most of his pieces are forged rather than cast. The earrings he makes work with every from business suits to t-shirts & jeans. My wife wears his stuff exclusively in a lot of different contexts, including meeting the VP of India and weeding in our yard. They are really uncommonly beautiful in person. His hand-forged hoops are amazing - light and incredibly strong.

    Unfortunately he is not in NYC. But he is about 2 hours north in the Catskills. Take a look at his work:

    https://messinadesigns.com







    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    4,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    Jay Dwight

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    Not knowing your budget (and I'm assuming you may not wish to disclose it here) and guessing that you/she would prefer to take something from stock instead of having a pair made to order, my suggestion would be to visit Bergdorf Goodman for the breadth of quality assortment, ie, variety of makers and designers. If you go to Bergdorf's, you might as well cross the intersection and visit Tiffany as they just revamped the entire building.

    If she likes more contemporary styles, Barneys might be an option -- it'll save you from having to cruise through individual boutiques downtown.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    If you want the full NYC experience, go see this person in the "Diamond District" on 47th Street. My family has been going to her for at least 20 years.
    Dora
    Benefice Jeweler
    15 West 47th Street Booth E31
    New York, NY 10036
    212-575-4931
    https://www.instagram.com/beneficejewelry/
    *Please know they are closed for the Sabbath (Fri and Sat) and usually most Sundays.


    If you go to the main Tiffany store on 57th and 5th, call or email to make an appointment with:
    Ginny Arakelyan
    646.589.4746
    Ginny.Arakelyan@tiffany.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    24,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Not knowing your budget (and I'm assuming you may not wish to disclose it here) and guessing that you/she would prefer to take something from stock instead of having a pair made to order, my suggestion would be to visit Bergdorf Goodman for the breadth of quality assortment, ie, variety of makers and designers. If you go to Bergdorf's, you might as well cross the intersection and visit Tiffany as they just revamped the entire building.

    If she likes more contemporary styles, Barneys might be an option -- it'll save you from having to cruise through individual boutiques downtown.
    Is Barneys even in business any longer? Last I heard Tiffany bought the name-only to use for whatever. Cosmetics I think. But no Barneys stores.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Is Barneys even in business any longer? Last I heard Tiffany bought the name-only to use for whatever. Cosmetics I think. But no Barneys stores.
    Oops, yep, you're right. I forgot that the Madison Avenue location is gone, and after ABG acquired it, they opened a shop-in-shop at Saks.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,053
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    I remember the "original" Barney's, not the fancy and then bankrupt place it became, because I got my first suit there just before I tuned 13 (a very very long time ago).


    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Is Barneys even in business any longer? Last I heard Tiffany bought the name-only to use for whatever. Cosmetics I think. But no Barneys stores.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Oops, yep, you're right. I forgot that the Madison Avenue location is gone, and after ABG acquired it, they opened a shop-in-shop at Saks.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,707
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    I'd actually just go to find something your wife likes. Ultimately, I'd just go to Tiffany & Co Flagship. It's NY. I'd also make brunch plans at Blue Box Cafe if you can?
    Hey, it's Breakfast at Tiffany's. And don't poo poo Tiffany & Co as being a rip-off. Retail Jewelry is already a rip-off, you just kidding your self if you think otherwise. So do the full monty.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    2,167
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    I remember the "original" Barney's, not the fancy and then bankrupt place it became, because I got my first suit there just before I tuned 13 (a very very long time ago).
    Yeah, when they left Seventh Avenue, the brand died as far as I was concerned.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    24,769
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Can anyone recommend a gold jeweler in NYC?

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I'd actually just go to find something your wife likes. Ultimately, I'd just go to Tiffany & Co Flagship. It's NY. I'd also make brunch plans at Blue Box Cafe if you can?
    Hey, it's Breakfast at Tiffany's. And don't poo poo Tiffany & Co as being a rip-off. Retail Jewelry is already a rip-off, you just kidding your self if you think otherwise. So do the full monty.
    Some of Elsa Peretti's designs for Tiffany are good - this one in particular:



    And these:

    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

Similar Threads

  1. Can any one suggest a jeweler in the DC area
    By Britishbane in forum The OT
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-28-2011, 11:29 AM
  2. Fool's Gold
    By 54ny77 in forum The OT
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 12:06 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •