User Tag List

Page 317 of 324 FirstFirst ... 307308309310311312313314315316317318319320321322323324 LastLast
Results 6,321 to 6,340 of 6468

Thread: Automobiles

  1. #6321
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    What's a liter of petrol going for in London these days? It must hurt to fuel that bucket!

    Hilarious find though. Is there a coffee shop in sight distance? I would have lingered a while to see if the owner came. There's definitely a funny story in there somewhere.

    Edit: I see there's a tavern across the st. I would have posted up there for a while :)

  2. #6322
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    I was thinking in a Blues Brothers direction.

    Theyíve got SCMODS!

  3. #6323
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Watching the replay of the Top 10 shootout at Bathurst and the course is populated by banners for the all new VW Amarok small truck. My dear old uncle might not like me saying this, but I wish we got that truck in the US as an option to the Ranger itís based on.

    https://www.youtube.com/live/YjtjIq3CPs8?feature=share

  4. #6324
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    23,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    This isn't horrible. I saw one in Hudson NY. Obviously a new one, because the guy who owned it put himself between my car and his truck when I parallel-parked, which seemed silly. I mean if I hit him, he'd just have bled all over his new car. It is both smaller and lower than nearly any other truck. But they only offer it with 4 doors. I'm not interested in a 4 door pickup truck. I actually want to put stuff in the bed. And probably get dents and scratches and possibly blood on it. Supposedly gets 40mpg combined gas/electric.



    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  5. #6325
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,587
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles


  6. #6326
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    This isn't horrible. I saw one in Hudson NY. Obviously a new one, because the guy who owned it put himself between my car and his truck when I parallel-parked, which seemed silly. I mean if I hit him, he'd just have bled all over his new car. It is both smaller and lower than nearly any other truck. But they only offer it with 4 doors. I'm not interested in a 4 door pickup truck. I actually want to put stuff in the bed. And probably get dents and scratches and possibly blood on it. Supposedly gets 40mpg combined gas/electric.



    I don't understand a truck with enough room seating room for 4 adults but only enough bed room for 2 of them.

    For about the last 7 months I've had an extended cab Colorado with the six foot bed and it ticks the right boxes. My last two trucks were Fords, a late 80's, I think, Ranger and a '03 F-150. The Colorado, as does the newer Ranger, falls in between those two trucks, size wise. A seven foot bed would mean a Silverado which is more truck than I need. I have no brand loyalty and went with the Colorado because the Ranger could only be had with a turbo four cyl.

    My truck is a '22 and I got it just in time because the only choice starting in '23 is a four door 5' bed turbo 4 cyl version, same, I think, as the Ranger. Too much cab room, not enough bed room and a 300HP turbo driven, to make that horsepower, ticks all of my wrong boxes.

  7. #6327
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lanesborough, MA
    Posts
    2,755
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    I want one of those Mavericks. Might be my next rig. The back seat's got to come out, and then there's room for a bike or two back there.

  8. #6328
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    23,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I saw trucks in Iceland with their branding on the side. Shows a location in Reykjavik. Wonder if they rent there?
    Last edited by j44ke; 02-07-2023 at 12:46 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  9. #6329
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    23,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I don't understand a truck with enough room seating room for 4 adults but only enough bed room for 2 of them.

    For about the last 7 months I've had an extended cab Colorado with the six foot bed and it ticks the right boxes. My last two trucks were Fords, a late 80's, I think, Ranger and a '03 F-150. The Colorado, as does the newer Ranger, falls in between those two trucks, size wise. A seven foot bed would mean a Silverado which is more truck than I need. I have no brand loyalty and went with the Colorado because the Ranger could only be had with a turbo four cyl.

    My truck is a '22 and I got it just in time because the only choice starting in '23 is a four door 5' bed turbo 4 cyl version, same, I think, as the Ranger. Too much cab room, not enough bed room and a 300HP turbo driven, to make that horsepower, ticks all of my wrong boxes.
    I think the Maverick is just a Bronco with a 4.5' bed in the back. I think what shapes most vehicles these days is how many models can share the same engine and body. Then you are building the same car except for a few features. Cheaper to build that way.

    The hybrid version only comes in the 4 door.

    Last edited by j44ke; 02-07-2023 at 12:57 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  10. #6330
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    6,216
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyP View Post
    I don't understand a truck with enough room seating room for 4 adults but only enough bed room for 2 of them.
    Iím understanding it much better than I used to, which is causing the Honda Ridgeline to top my list for next vehicle candidates.

    My thinking is this: I do not often have a direct association between passenger and cargo quantities that require a bed. I can put a rack and a box on top of a Ridgeline for cargo, use it as a people hauler when needed, and retain usable bed space for home and property projects. Any projects that require a full size bed can be truck rental days.

  11. #6331
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    7,318
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Couldn't FORD let that name fade away?

    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  12. #6332
    Join Date
    Jan 2022
    Posts
    229
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Basic ally I see any of these 4 door pickups with 5', or shorter, beds as a SUV without a deck lid. I also think that they're a way for the mfgs. to get around pollution standards, or sum such.

  13. #6333
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,732
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Couldn't FORD let that name fade away?

    Better than bringing back the Pinto name.
    La Cheeserie!

  14. #6334
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I want one of those Mavericks. Might be my next rig. The back seat's got to come out, and then there's room for a bike or two back there.
    Ridgeline is better vehicle, imho atmo ipso facto. Worth checking out one of those before you commit to the Maverick.

  15. #6335
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    589
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I’m understanding it much better than I used to, which is causing the Honda Ridgeline to top my list for next vehicle candidates.

    My thinking is this: I do not often have a direct association between passenger and cargo quantities that require a bed. I can put a rack and a box on top of a Ridgeline for cargo, use it as a people hauler when needed, and retain usable bed space for home and property projects. Any projects that require a full size bed can be truck rental days.
    Word. 80k miles on mine now and I'll probably never buy another full size truck. Only reason I see to have something like that is to tow... something.

    Road or CX bike fits in the back with front wheel on. Trunk for storage of stinky kit. Comfy ride. 24 mpg. Quiet. Good stereo. Honda reliable. What else could one want?

    I've had two terrible experiences with F150's and I'll never buy another Ford product. No more Toyotas either... Tacoma sucked. We've had four Hondas now and they've been fantastic.

  16. #6336
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    23,752
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    I am definitely not going to buy a full-sized truck. I'll leave those to the red-neck prima donalds driving around in giant boudoir sofa wagons. Make me a hybrid one of these. Maybe even wood-fired.

    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  17. #6337
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,031
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    It's new car time in the Bobonli household. I've been an unnecessarily loyal Honda customer for 9 cars between my and the missus. They're nice enough and reliable but the last 3 leased vehicles have been identical except for the payments! I'm ready for something different.

    I have my eyes on a 23 VW Atlas. This would be my first "German" car. Regular driving around hauling bikes on the trailer hitch (standard!) and a kayak. Occasional trips into snow country to ski. I'm not rock crawling or overloading! It gets good-enough reviews and appears to match my needs.

    Anything I should know about VW performance, durability etc?
    My family (7 siblings) have been all over the place with cars/SUVs for the past 20 years and landed mostly on these brands and in this order:
    1) Toyota
    2) Honda or Subaru
    3) Hyundai/Kia *

    We will not go near anything German because they are too expensive to purchase and service.
    We will not go near anything American because they are too unreliable.

    My youngest brother and his wife (who live in Colorado) have owned at least 2 Hyandais and will not purchase anything else.
    My oldest brother (who also lives in Colorado) finally gave up on his Ford SUVs and recently purchased himself a Hyundai Palisade and his kids a Hyundai Kona.
    I am trying to convince my (aging) parents to turn-in their BMW X5 when it comes off lease and purchase a Hyundai Palisade (or Kia Telluride).

    * It's hard to beat a 5/60K bumper to bumper and a 10 year powertrain warranty. And in our family Hyundai/Kia might be moving up from third spot.


  18. #6338
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Apropos of Jorn's post, here's an interesting article about how pickups have "transformed from workhorse vehicles to family cruisers," while consumers respond to marketspeak about how "powerful" and "rugged" they are.

    https://www.axios.com/ford-pickup-trucks-history

  19. #6339
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    To each their own, but to me those super short bed pickups like the maverick, ridgeline and that new hyundai thing are completely useless and the worst of both worlds. Anything in the back is exposed to the elements and theft, but not big enough to be useful as a real bed. I would feel beyond silly in the home depot parking lot if i couldnt get a sheet of plywood or a dozen 2x4s in my "truck"

  20. #6340
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    583
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    To each their own, but to me those super short bed pickups like the maverick, ridgeline and that new hyundai thing are completely useless and the worst of both worlds. Anything in the back is exposed to the elements and theft, but not big enough to be useful as a real bed. I would feel beyond silly in the home depot parking lot if i couldnt get a sheet of plywood or a dozen 2x4s in my "truck"
    Yea, I get that if what you are doing is actually hauling materials. But you could flip this argument around completely. The reality is that a lot of people who buy full size trucks are doing it for the image and are using it to drive around town,and justify it by the one or two times a year they haul home some mulch from Home Depot. At least these are a little more efficient, are better at what they are actually used for 99% of the time, and maybe they still get the image they are after.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •