Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Are they not making a stick?
    Gorgeous looking car but at a base price of $225k, surely you could build something similar with an older air cooled 911 with all the aesthetics and more character? You know 2400 of these will never touch anything tougher than a grass parking lot at a yacht rock concert venue.
    No manual. Try finding an air cooled 911 in good condition at a decent price!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I loaded up on some liquid courage back in March and put down a $250 deposit on a Tesla Model Y Long Range. I got the metallic gray color because I am not seduced by their red or blue options, both of which are an up charge. Opted for the black interior which comes with fake wood and genuine vegan leather (read: vinyl - though it's not unpleasant in texture or softness/firmness). No rich Corinthian leather here. Not even from Corinth.

I picked up the vehicle on Wednesday.

The one option I opted for is the 2" trailer hitch receiver, which is going to be a PITA to access but at least it's there and has the wiring for taillights. I'll test this out today. It's intended for my bike rack.

My initial impressions are quite positive. No creaks or rattles. Panel gaps aren't Audi-like, but are consistent and I haven't seen anything that will require a service visit. The delivery appointment is a bit of a disappointment with the gentleman doing my delivery not as knowledgeable as he should be for a vehicle in this price class. But I'm naturally curious and will get it all figured out. Tesla includes a whole bunch of tutorial videos in their screen to instruct on the processes.

The screen is quite nice and generally not too distracting though I wish Tesla would consider a heads-up display in the windshield or something straight ahead. The speed readout is in the upper left of the screen and not hard to read from the driver position. Speaking of which, the driving position has rapidly grown on me. The steering wheel is slightly smaller in diameter than my Tiguan and thicker in the rim than the Tiguan. It reminds me of my old GTI, which is a good thing.

A few minor gripes.

• The car doesn't come with a few things that it should come with standard, especially at this price point. Why the eff do I have to order the little trays for the center console?
    • And why is Home Link not part of every car? Why do I have to order it and set up a service appointment to have it installed? If they don't want to deliver it on every car it should be an option box in the ordering process.
    • Finally, the all-season rubber floor mats appear to be made by Weathertech and aren't nearly as nice as the mats that I got with my Tiguan. The VW group makes far nicer rubber floor mats that don't come across as an afterthought. This is likely because VW is in Germany, where there's winter. And Tesla is a California (now Texas) company where the people making these decisions have never experienced a nasty winter with salt and sand and snow, etc.

None of these gripes are dealbreakers of course, but they're things Telsa could do better.

Initial driving impressions are quite positive. It's extremely quick and extremely smooth in the drivetrain. Handling is much sharper than my Tiguan of course, but less of a precision instrument than my GTI was, which was never not a total joy to drive in traffic. The Model Y is not a small car but honestly, it drives small. It's a nice piece to just use as a daily driver it would appear though I only have a day and a half in it. The cruise control is really nice and easy to engage with the stalk. This is the best one I've used.

Many of the functions are controlled by the scroll wheels on the steering wheel and while not initially super intuitive, I think they'll become second nature very quickly. They feel as though they're quality pieces with positive clicks and rolls.

First impressions are quite good. Let's see how it is going forward. The Tiguan will be sold in the next six weeks or so, making the Model Y my only car for now. There will be a learning curve with regards to road trips but while I'm within a 100 mile radius of my house I'll likely only ever be doing home charging.

La Cheeserie!