User Tag List

Page 226 of 246 FirstFirst ... 216217218219220221222223224225226227228229230231232233234235236 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,520 of 4910

Thread: Automobiles

  1. #4501
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    I think I would like a little Honda Acty truck in a jellybean color. Loved seeing them in Japan.
     

  2. #4502
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    4,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    I bet that where you live you could Turo one of those for a weekend to see if I'm on crack or not. Also a good chance to practice your ingress and egress - the carbon side sill is really high. No point in having a rad car if you look like a goomba getting in and out of it each time!
    i look like a goomba just sitting on a park bench....my mustang has door bars and the steering wheel isn't quick release. getting in and out of that thing requires 12 months of yoga training and the machine from honey, i shrunk the kids- so i think the I8 will be ok.

    good idea on Turo!!!
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

    My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

    www.summercycles.com

    www.gaulzetti.co

  3. #4503
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Khen-Tuck-ee, USA
    Posts
    1,780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    In daily life it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

    Mazda understands this, the Miata is fun slow car, a road legal shifter kart. (aka the worlds best British roadster)
     

  4. #4504
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    8,196
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Even their economy shitboxes are nice to drive. My mazda 2 didn't have a ton of horsepower but gives me more smile than some bigger, more premium cars I drove. Something with the balanced steering response/ratio/assistance they set their cars with that gives you a better feeling of the available grip. Many brands are overassisting the steering which makes the cars act more like point and clicks devices and you can't really figure out if you hit a patch of ice on the road before it is too late because the steering can't be lighter.
    --
    T h o m a s

  5. #4505
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Fiat 124 Spider. Based on the MX5. Styled by the Italians, engineered by the Japanese. The MX5 was always an excellent driving machine, but was never very good looking. The Spider is now both. regards
     

  6. #4506
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    SC PA
    Posts
    837
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Sitting at the cabin watching the local motor enthusiasts drive by, I don't disagree. Don't get me started on Harleys.

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Some mornings I hang out with some Psychologists and counselors. Over coffee we solve the world's problems. When the subject of Mustangs and Corvettes came up one of my pals said "It's diagnostic". blink blink
     

  7. #4507
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    13,620
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Even their economy shitboxes are nice to drive. My mazda 2 didn't have a ton of horsepower but gives me more smile than some bigger, more premium cars I drove. Something with the balanced steering response/ratio/assistance they set their cars with that gives you a better feeling of the available grip. Many brands are overassisting the steering which makes the cars act more like point and clicks devices and you can't really figure out if you hit a patch of ice on the road before it is too late because the steering can't be lighter.
    This is my experience with the Mazda Miata/MX-5. Easy to own. Fun to drive. In the context of what it is very few compromises. I’d own one again in a minute.
    La Cheeserie!

  8. #4508
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mertztown, PA
    Posts
    4,318
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

    What I really want is one of the little pickup trucks I saw at every single warehouse and farm and driving here and there loaded with crap or tools or lumber and generally doing everything that most owners of Ford Super Duty trucks would ever actually need. Fold down sides and gate on the bed. 4wd. The Honda I peeked into had a 6 speed manual transmission.

    A Honda Acty is about 5 grand. On the list of things to buy...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

  9. #4509
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post

    What I really want is one of the little pickup trucks I saw at every single warehouse and farm and driving here and there loaded with crap or tools or lumber and generally doing everything that most owners of Ford Super Duty trucks would ever actually need. Fold down sides and gate on the bed. 4wd. The Honda I peeked into had a 6 speed manual transmission.
    I spent the weekend driving our fleet Silverado 2500 work truck (had a yard sale so needed to move tables, etc). I can't imagine having this as one's every day transport - just to "drive a truck". You have to park at the end of any lot, ideally with two open spaces adjacent. Have to back it in with ass as far over the island as possible so the damn thing doesn't stick out 5 feet into the driving lane. Downtown Ann Arbor is filthy with construction right now, and this barely fits between the makeshift lanes. Parking at my nephew's baseball tournament was also a pain.

    At least for me the Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma, Ridgeline is really the sweet spot of truck size right now. The full size pickup truck has become too full size to function as anything other than a work tool or a really sweet airport shuttle.

    Can't wait to get it unloaded and get back into my Forester.
     

  10. #4510
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,266
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

     

  11. #4511
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Tejas
    Posts
    1,170
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    I spent the weekend driving our fleet Silverado 2500 work truck (had a yard sale so needed to move tables, etc). I can't imagine having this as one's every day transport - just to "drive a truck". You have to park at the end of any lot, ideally with two open spaces adjacent. Have to back it in with ass as far over the island as possible so the damn thing doesn't stick out 5 feet into the driving lane. Downtown Ann Arbor is filthy with construction right now, and this barely fits between the makeshift lanes. Parking at my nephew's baseball tournament was also a pain.

    At least for me the Ranger, Colorado, Tacoma, Ridgeline is really the sweet spot of truck size right now. The full size pickup truck has become too full size to function as anything other than a work tool or a really sweet airport shuttle.

    Can't wait to get it unloaded and get back into my Forester.
    Dude, I'm from Texas. Here's how this works: Take up two parking spots, two lanes. You know how works with bike racing and handlebars? It's like that with mirrors. If your mirrors are in front of theirs, you're dictating things. And don't use your turn signal - it's a sign of weakness. Smaller cars should just stay our of your way anyway.
     

  12. #4512
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles







    Fahrvergnügen hat trick last week all in my Seattle neighborhood.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  13. #4513
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Capitol Hill? There must be a karmann ghia up there somewhere.
     

  14. #4514
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    5,140
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    Capitol Hill? There must be a karmann ghia up there somewhere.
    Right on Dan...it was raining Vanagans last week and I’ll keep my eyes open for a Karman Ghia for you when I’m in town next.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  15. #4515
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    3,074
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  16. #4516
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    17,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Should have held the auction in London.

    Sale of Rare Nazi-Era Porsche Sputters After Sotheby’s Auction Blunder - The New York Times

    Those furriners with their accents. Why don't they learn how to speak English like everybody else?
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  17. #4517
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    17,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Right on Dan...it was raining Vanagans last week and I’ll keep my eyes open for a Karman Ghia for you when I’m in town next.
    Back when I was losing the flesh off my knuckles inside the engine compartment of my 1966 VW, I dreamed about something like this:



    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  18. #4518
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    4,757
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    I probably shared this years ago, but what the heck. I like the sound.

     

  19. #4519
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    3,018
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    In other automotive news, the folks at Audi are reportedly considering A6 Avant, S6 Avant, and RS6 Avant wagons for North America market.
     

  20. #4520
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Mont Tremblant, Quebec & UES, NYC
    Posts
    780
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Because I often see here and ATH, can car x hold blah....questions

    1) how crowded is the living room with all of the bikes this carries in addition to the boats?

    2) is it true you can leave large kayaks on a car unlocked simply because they are too big to steal/ get in an elevator/ get through a subway turnstile?

    3) how is the acceleration up a big hill?

    4) what is the windage like crossing a bridge (like into Manhattan)?

    5) how is the cornering loaded like that?

    6) why do I pay for monthly parking but this guy always seems to find a spot on the street?

    IMG_1799 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr
    Jon Mandel

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •