Results 4,121 to 4,130 of 4130

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

treadonme, lets say you buy the car for 22K. The IMS bearing is "only" about 2K. No reason not to go get that done right away for piece of mind. If you take a chance on it and lunch your engine, your 22K car is now a 37K car. There are probably better ways to spend 37K on an automobile than a 996.

I studied the 996 situation pretty carefully, but decided to get a S2000 instead. 996 values are starting to increase a bit - cars that were high teens 18 months ago are now low 20s. Good time to get in.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMS usually just seeps. If they were made in England, folks would say its normal.

I love the 996 turbos and particularly the GT3s. Both are pretty high value in comparison to the regular 996s. They have very different and far superior motors and transmissions. But, if you get a regular old 996, expect to want to put some suspension on it and have it corner balanced.

The 996s are great driver's cars. Set up properly, you can really manipulate them with technique--you can induce understeer, oversteer, or neutrality, based on corner entry speed, throttle position, and trail braking. All Pcars, and especially the older ones, are happiest with the driver holding a fairly neutral throttle position during cornering.

Once you figure out how to drive a rear engine Pcar, you really get to love them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    IMS usually just seeps. If they were made in England, folks would say its normal.

I love the 996 turbos and particularly the GT3s. Both are pretty high value in comparison to the regular 996s. They have very different and far superior motors and transmissions. But, if you get a regular old 996, expect to want to put some suspension on it and have it corner balanced.
    The 996 Turbo and GT3 both have Mezger engines. Very different than the stock 996. Your GT3 engine could leak because it had a 1960s crankcase design. The M96 engines don't have adequate lubrication on the bearing behind the IMS seal, which gradually introduces metal shavings into the engine...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    The 996 Turbo and GT3 both have Mezger engines. Very different than the stock 996. Your GT3 engine could leak because it had a 1960s crankcase design. The M96 engines don't have adequate lubrication on the bearing behind the IMS seal, which gradually introduces metal shavings into the engine...

My GT3 never had an oil leak, in fact it never used a drop of oil and it always purred like a kitten after pulling off the track after a 30 minute session of full throttle redlining. My Carrera 996, on the other hand, did have an IMS replaced, periodically smoked like a Subaru on initial startup, and often burned oil during a track session. That's why I tend to steer folks towards 996 turbos and GT cars. The motors in those beasts are direct descendants of the most successful endurance racing motors in history.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm more conservative than you guys. When I was on the hunt, potential IMS issues spooked me. I was looking at Cayman Ss, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by winmonster View Post
    I'm more conservative than you guys. When I was on the hunt, potential IMS issues spooked me. I was looking at Cayman Ss, though.
    it's why i bought my 2008 Cayman from Carmax with the extended service warranty anything breaks we fix it scam..... it actually makes a lot of sense on a car like this.

i drove my Cayman today...despite the fact that it is not an S, has a slush box, and is red- I really love driving that car.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smart man, Craig! And the chassis, regardless of motor, is a joy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It has a cummins turbo diesel swap ... be still my heart.

This has 4 wheel steering,.

Heck of a flat fender

This... wow.

EJS is a pretty neat week for car spotting.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    This... wow.

EJS is a pretty neat week for car spotting.

-Joe
    Had to look into that one. Wow is right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This one is super cool too. It is built on a 1990s lexus chassis.

More pics of it: Joe on Instagram: “Another amazing rig from #ejs219 #moab #fj4”

-Joe