User Tag List

Page 147 of 224 FirstFirst ... 137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 4462

Thread: Automobiles

  1. #2921
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    I added a Kuat Vagabond X to the roof and some Hella driving lights. It gives it a rally look... which I like. And there is a shop in town that is owned by a dude who drives a 65 Landrover around town. He has been working on VWs and Porches for 40 years. He is semi retired and only works on what he wants to work on. Which includes my bug. He is giving the engine a tune up tomorrow. "How much?" "Don't worry about, it'll be less than $100."
    P8140320 by Joe, on Flickr


    P8140346 by Joe, on Flickr

    P8140364 by Joe, on Flickr

    -Joe

  2. #2922
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,943
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    ....
    Previously owned by a nice 73 year old lady that selected every doodad, protectant and extended warranty (all transferable) available and changed the oil religiously every 2,500-3,000 miles up to its current 38k. Total cream-puff.

    ....
    Wow, I thought this was only a line in the 'car salesman joke book'. Something about little old lady and church on Sunday.
    Good snag.
    Brian McLaughlin

  3. #2923
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Falls Church, VA
    Posts
    5,051
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Looks pretty boss, Joe.
    Rally 911's are my holy grail- this is a much more sensible version of that.
    my name is Matt

    INSTA

  4. #2924
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    glad you got that one. the 2018 (below) does not look as nice. they mucked it up by adding more lines to the car
    Honestly as someone who worked extensively on the development of both, the 2018 platform is light years more advanced than our 2013, but it's my wife's and she didn't want a "new" car. We at least got a decent example of the old one, but I know the warts all too well. I'll spend many nights working on it in the garage after she goes to sleep to attenuate them the best I can. Have NVH tape, will travel.
     

  5. #2925
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Looks pretty boss, Joe.
    Rally 911's are my holy grail- this is a much more sensible version of that.
    Whatever you do, don't google the Leh Keen Safari Project. Gawd do I want one of those.
     

  6. #2926
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Aix-en-Provence
    Posts
    10,325
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I added a Kuat Vagabond X to the roof and some Hella driving lights. It gives it a rally look... which I like. And there is a shop in town that is owned by a dude who drives a 65 Landrover around town. He has been working on VWs and Porches for 40 years. He is semi retired and only works on what he wants to work on. Which includes my bug. He is giving the engine a tune up tomorrow. "How much?" "Don't worry about, it'll be less than $100."
    P8140320 by Joe, on Flickr


    P8140346 by Joe, on Flickr

    P8140364 by Joe, on Flickr

    -Joe
    Totally loving this !
     

  7. #2927
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC=>NJ=>Boston
    Posts
    2,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Honestly as someone who worked extensively on the development of both, the 2018 platform is light years more advanced than our 2013, but it's my wife's and she didn't want a "new" car. We at least got a decent example of the old one, but I know the warts all too well. I'll spend many nights working on it in the garage after she goes to sleep to attenuate them the best I can. Have NVH tape, will travel.
    hope I did not insult you.

    As an owner of a 2009 Outback, a 2000 Outback (traded-in for the 09), helped my mother get her 2001 Forester and then a 2017 Impreza, and now about to help my mother-in-law get a 2018 Outback, I am Subaru to the core.

    While the 2018 Crostek might technically be better, I was speaking to the design which I think is busier and not as clean as the earlier version (which of course is always a personal opinion)
     

  8. #2928
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    hope I did not insult you.

    As an owner of a 2009 Outback, a 2000 Outback (traded-in for the 09), helped my mother get her 2001 Forester and then a 2017 Impreza, and now about to help my mother-in-law get a 2018 Outback, I am Subaru to the core.

    While the 2018 Crostek might technically be better, I was speaking to the design which I think is busier and not as clean as the earlier version (which of course is always a personal opinion)
    No worries - I understood your point. Driving the new 2017 Impreza (and 2018 Crosstrek) back to back with a previous gen version is pretty eye opening.
     

  9. #2929
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts, United States
    Posts
    10,612
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    No worries - I understood your point. Driving the new 2017 Impreza (and 2018 Crosstrek) back to back with a previous gen version is pretty eye opening.
    Do tell.
    GO!

  10. #2930
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lanesborough, MA
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    My XJ Cherokee's rear unibody rust problem got dramatically worse this spring, to the point where it was unsafe to drive and would be a very involved fix that still might not pass Massachusetts inspection. Sad after driving it for 10 years and 180,000 miles, but I scrapped it and went Subaru:



    2011 Forester, 5-speed manual transmission, 93K miles.

    I couldn't be happier. It's not what you'd call fast, but the things I care about for where I live, like ground clearance, turning circle, comfort over bad dirt roads, and visibility are all top-notch. I had to look pretty hard to get one with a 5-speed but it's worth it for me.

    My girlfriend has a bad back and the ride and the seats really work for her. And it's big enough that my 6'6" kid can sit in the back reasonably comfortably. Overall super practical.

    Sunroof and Bluetooth are nice too.

    I can't wait for winter.
     

  11. #2931
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    The Mitten
    Posts
    1,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    An even more "done" version of the 911 Safari theme:

    https://luftgekuhlt.com/luftauto/

    luftauto.jpg

    Built by a bunch of guys who really know their $hit (although Leh Keen himself is no slouch) - Pat Long, Joey Seely, etc.
     

  12. #2932
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC=>NJ=>Boston
    Posts
    2,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    So interesting you mentioned your girlfriend's bad back.

    In 2001, I spent several weeks helping my mother (who had 6 kids and 2 slipped disc back surgeries) find a comfortable car. After driving more than 20 cars, SUVs, and crossovers the 2001 Forrester was the most comfortable to her because it gave her the most back support and the straightest up/down line to support her spine.

    A few months ago when I helped her look at cars again, I only agreed to 10 test drives and the winning seat this time was the 2017 Impreza.


    Maybe Subaru should start working with surgeons and physical therapists to market their cars/SUVs/wagons to people with bad backs.


    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    My XJ Cherokee's rear unibody rust problem got dramatically worse this spring, to the point where it was unsafe to drive and would be a very involved fix that still might not pass Massachusetts inspection. Sad after driving it for 10 years and 180,000 miles, but I scrapped it and went Subaru:



    2011 Forester, 5-speed manual transmission, 93K miles.

    I couldn't be happier. It's not what you'd call fast, but the things I care about for where I live, like ground clearance, turning circle, comfort over bad dirt roads, and visibility are all top-notch. I had to look pretty hard to get one with a 5-speed but it's worth it for me.

    My girlfriend has a bad back and the ride and the seats really work for her. And it's big enough that my 6'6" kid can sit in the back reasonably comfortably. Overall super practical.

    Sunroof and Bluetooth are nice too.

    I can't wait for winter.
     

  13. #2933
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lanesborough, MA
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    So interesting you mentioned your girlfriend's bad back.

    In 2001, I spent several weeks helping my mother (who had 6 kids and 2 slipped disc back surgeries) find a comfortable car. After driving more than 20 cars, SUVs, and crossovers the 2001 Forrester was the most comfortable to her because it gave her the most back support and the straightest up/down line to support her spine.

    A few months ago when I helped her look at cars again, I only agreed to 10 test drives and the winning seat this time was the 2017 Impreza.


    Maybe Subaru should start working with surgeons and physical therapists to market their cars/SUVs/wagons to people with bad backs.
    She noticed a big difference between the Forester and the previous-generation (2007) Outback, too.
     

  14. #2934
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    NYC=>NJ=>Boston
    Posts
    2,460
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    She noticed a big difference between the Forester and the previous-generation (2007) Outback, too.
    Having owned 2000 and 2009 Outbacks and also driven my mother's 2001 Forester and 2017 Impreza, I can tell the difference between the seats. Her Subaru's did not feel uncomfortable to me but you definitely feel how the seats in those cars ensure you are sitting upright with good posture (which would probably be good for all of us anyway).

    Out of the original 20 cars we tested in 2001, on a goof, I had my mother test drive the Chrsyler PT Cruiser towards the end of the process. She said the seats were the second most comfortable after the Forester. I explained that she was not going to buy a deathtrap of a car that was trying to be retro (that car had some of the worst crash test ratings at the time). Also, she was going to look like an old fool rather than a hip old granny in the Chrysler so she bought the Forester the next day.




    Forgot to add, make sure the 90k service was done and be ready for 120k when the timing chain needs to be replaced on that Forester; those are the important ones - the 30k intervals.
     

  15. #2935
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,422
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    An even more "done" version of the 911 Safari theme:

    https://luftgekuhlt.com/luftauto/

    luftauto.jpg

    Built by a bunch of guys who really know their $hit (although Leh Keen himself is no slouch) - Pat Long, Joey Seely, etc.
    Drool.

  16. #2936
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    4,487
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles



    Joe...for some reason I see racing stripes and numbers in your lovebug's future...perhaps a sawzall and some canvas too.
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

  17. #2937
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    4,685
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

    Joe...for some reason I see racing stripes and numbers in your lovebug's future...perhaps a sawzall and some canvas too.
    The local VW repair guru would shun me if I make any permanent non original changes. I know nothing about motors, so I need him until I learn more auto wrenching skills. Seriously, I was talking to him about upgrading to discs in the front and he was not feeling me.

    -Joe

  18. #2938
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2,348
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Took a 2018 Audi Q7 with all the bells and whistles for a brief test drive this week.
    Curious to see how good it is for transporting bicycles upright. Definitely a nice vehicle.
     

  19. #2939
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lanesborough, MA
    Posts
    2,066
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Forgot to add, make sure the 90k service was done and be ready for 120k when the timing chain needs to be replaced on that Forester; those are the important ones - the 30k intervals.
    I haven't seen an interval for timing chain replacement. The older motors with timing belts had a 105k replacement interval but I can't find anything for timing chain replacement on the FB DOHC motor.
     

  20. #2940
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Mertztown, PA
    Posts
    4,261
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Automobiles

    If I had a mid-year car or 964 with a roof basket I could die a happy man.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •