Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where will Amazon's HQ2 end up?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Where will Amazon's HQ2 end up?

There is some rail infrastructure here, which is a plus and I heard that was of interest; you can ride Amtrak over a lot of the state (not Asheville!). The light rail between Durham and Chapel Hill has had its detractors though and has yet to get off the ground. If Amazon winds up here, I'll be bummed we're selling our house here and moving to Nashville this fall and we'll miss it, though I bet most Amazonians would be pretty close to Raleigh.

Post Thanks / Like

McLean/Tysons Corner
    Betcha a dollar.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by treadonme View Post
    McLean/Tysons Corner
    Betcha a dollar.
    That's two miles from me, so please no.
    (Unless we decide the leave the area then by all means, please drive up housing prices before we sell.)

Honestly, Tysons is probably too far out of town to attract the kind of people that Bezos wants to hire.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    My bad.
    I'm relatively new to the Raleigh area (Cary specifically) .......I wasn't sure myself and looked it up.

I have not seen so much development in a metro area since mid/late 80"s Toronto, Canada.

I suspect Raleigh, NC is too small for Amazon-specifically the airport. Currently the runway is too short for jumbo jets so direct flights to Europe is limited and of course nothing to Asia.

Metro D.C. (Tysons) is a strong possibility. Not seeing Toronto at all as the place has become a bit toxic for foreign investors.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    Over a 10yr horizon, i am thinking ATL hits a tipping point with traffic frustration. will that mean people actually embrace urban transpo after years of rejecting it, move into the city, or find some other way to vent frustration; i don't know. what i do believe, decades of inaction is coming to a head and that should be interesting. 50k techie folks commuting to some city based mega-complex will only accelerate the convo and hopefully make some progress. i say bring it on. also, it can't hurt the value of my home so, um, double bring it on.
    I grew up in Gwinnett County, one of the fastest growing counties in the country when I was a kid. The Mall of Georgia is 1.5 miles from my folks house - when we moved to that house it was 'to get away from all the traffic' in Sugar Hill. HA! My dad was pretty pissed 6months later when the mall was announced, at the time it was the largest in the southeast, not sure if that's still true or not. It's home, it's where I grew up, it's all I knew. I left when I went to college in Statesboro, a *very* different town. It's in south GA, nowhere near a big city, and at the time there wasn't much there besides the university. A Wal-Mart, a tiny mall (the sMall), a little theater. I loved it. Since then I've lived in Augusta and now Macon, both of which are somewhere in the middle between Buford/Statesboro as far as traffic, things to do, etc.

I don't plan to ever move back 'home', I've decided I *much* prefer small/medium sized cities. The traffic sucks soooooo bad. During Christmas one year when I was at home I went to Pets Mart at the mall to pick up some dog food - less than 2 miles from the house. It took me 45mins to get home. Friends and family back home typically spend at least 2hrs a day in their cars commuting to/from work, sometimes 4hrs. They're used to it, it's their normal, to me it's effin' crazy. Don't even think about trying to ride from your house in most places.

Gwinnett County is changing rapidly - when I lived there it was mostly white, and now it's rapidly becoming one of the most diverse counties in the state. Folks there have always opposed public transit, including getting Marta up there, because it would bring 'bad elements' to the area. My folks still think that. They'd rather sit in their cars for 20hrs a week than have public transit. But, they're about to be the minority.

It'll be interesting to see what the area looks like 10, 20 years from now.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Of course government officials around here are chomping at the bit to give the proverbial store away as most seem to think that it's a part of their job to do so. I have been around to see a $1B airport (1992 cost) with 21M passengers in 1997 reduced to 8.3M passengers in 2106, as the success of the airport was directly linked the success of the ever so well managed USAirways. Over the past 16 years, three new sports venues have been built here too at a total cost of $818M (cost at time of construction), as in each case, team owners threatened the region with abandonment and the public voted down the expansion via a referendum. Public officials came in and "saved us from ourselves" via their "Plan B" though, and they keep reminding us of their value.

We shall see where it all leads, as at least this could be a wake up call for the region in terms of working to fund and improve public transportation and the overall infrastructure. On the brighter side, we do have the land, a relatively low cost of living, world class healthcare systems, 55+ institutions of higher learning, well established philanthropic organizations, a decent cultural scene and a Midwest work ethic. Rome wasn't built in a day...but they only had one sports venue, right?

Pittsburgh could be a contender for Amazonís HQ2 ó if it will pay the price | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    So. Which American cities have quality public transportation?
    this is the main reason I think Austin will lose out. It has shitty public transportation. Austin would definitely offer some incentives to lure Amazon, I don't think it will work. The transportation thing is huge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post

I have not seen so much development in a metro area since mid/late 80"s Toronto, Canada.
    Not seeing Toronto at all as the place has become a bit toxic for foreign investors.
    They're currently adding about 100,000 per year in population.
    The Toronto metropolitan area is forecast to hit 9.6 million in the next 20 years.

not sure how 'toxic' the place is to foreign investment.

No Fixed Address: Highrise construction skyrockets in Toronto - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    That's two miles from me, so please no.
    (Unless we decide the leave the area then by all means, please drive up housing prices before we sell.)

Honestly, Tysons is probably too far out of town to attract the kind of people that Bezos wants to hire.
    Matt there is a large strip mall in Tysons across from the Greensboro Metro station. This spot is ripe for development, but I hope not.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    They're currently adding about 100,000 per year in population.
    The Toronto metropolitan area is forecast to hit 9.6 million in the next 20 years.

not sure how 'toxic' the place is to foreign investment.

No Fixed Address: Highrise construction skyrockets in Toronto - CBC News - Latest Canada, World, Entertainment and Business News
    I wrote foreign investors............not immigrants.

Toronto is following Vancouver............Toronto to impose 15% tax on foreign home buyers to regulate housing costs | World news | The Guardian

http://vancouversun.com/opinion/op-e...nable-nor-fair

Post Thanks / Like

According to the NY Times...Amazon should move to Denver.

Dear Amazon, We Picked Your New Headquarters for You - The New York Times
    rw saunders
    everything is connected

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Matt there is a large strip mall in Tysons across from the Greensboro Metro station. This spot is ripe for development, but I hope not.
    The one with Performance Bike and Panera, across from the VW shop?
    That definitely is ripe, but not 8M sq/ft ripe.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes that strip mall, plus the one where Sports Authority was and maybe the Koons dealership and Amazon could build the HQ at that spot.

Plus you add in the public transportation, two airports and all of the apartments that are being built in Tysons and that would be a prime location. Also, the long range plan for Tysons is to have no car dealerships.

Then you add in that Bezos bought the Washington Post, it could happen.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like

The Boston Globe has been full of articles about this. I imagine this is stimulating the same kind of conversations across the continent.

The best thought that's come out of this here is: Amazon would demand better public transportation, more/cheaper housing, and better STEM education from the primary grades through college. As would every other business we'd hope to attract to Greater Boston. So let's focus on this regardless.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like

Although the mid-cities near DFW airport would be a prime spot (ignoring the lack of public transit), I am kinda glad Dallas is out of the mix. We need a breather before taking in another HQ and traffic is bad enough as it is, 50,000 new jobs will wreck wherever this thing lands.

Post Thanks / Like

More housing yes, but not cheaper. Seattle can't build enough housing to keep up with migration and housing prices are going up 12-14% yoy. I am glad I bought a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    The Boston Globe has been full of articles about this. I imagine this is stimulating the same kind of conversations across the continent.

The best thought that's come out of this here is: Amazon would demand better public transportation, more/cheaper housing, and better STEM education from the primary grades through college. As would every other business we'd hope to attract to Greater Boston. So let's focus on this regardless.