User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 29

Thread: Warfare has changed

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Warfare has changed

    With the sabotage of Nordstream 1 and 2, attacks on infrastructure are a bloodless assault that can drive an economy to its knees. My favorite blog has a great article this morning.

    http://cdrsalamander.blogspot.com/20...sloc-iloc.html
    Weight Doper

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    santa barbara CA
    Posts
    866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Enlightening and scary.
    The older I get the faster I was Brian Clare

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Manhattan NY
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Russia has been doing this for years. Now its Nordstream cables , before it was communication cables. Nothing new -Mike G

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    Russia has been doing this for years. Now its Nordstream cables , before it was communication cables. Nothing new -Mike G
    The pipelines that would deliver natural gas to Germany were sabotaged. This is a new development and is meant to turn the people of Europe against supporting Ukraine. Between the annexation of Ukrainian territory, the threat of using nuclear weapons, and now the prospect of Europeans being unable to afford to keep warm this winter, Putin is challenging the resolve of the west to help Ukraine.

    The threat to underwater cables is real as well, but not yet realized. https://www.politico.eu/article/ever...ternet-cables/
    Weight Doper

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    "Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia"


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    "Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia"

    Hated that movie. I had transferred off a Trident submarine a few years before Crimson Tide came out. If submarine movies were true to life, no one would see them.
    Weight Doper

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,527
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    If submarine movies were true to life, no one would see them.
    Ha, aint that the truth. Turns out sub life is rarely edge of your seat excitement :)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    Virginia Beach
    Posts
    239
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Been so long since I read it I don't remember any details but Blindman's Bluff is a great book that talks about some USA espionage on Russian underwater comms cables.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    Been so long since I read it I don't remember any details but Blindman's Bluff is a great book that talks about some USA espionage on Russian underwater comms cables.
    I seem to recall a few details, and the purpose of the underwater cable tapping was to break Soviet codes. The Soviets and later Russians felt confident in their cables between mainland Russia and the Kamchatka Peninsula, confident enough to send messages uncoded. There was never any intention to damage or destroy the cables, which would end the program. Much of the book takes place in the Sea of Okhotsk, which requires passage through the Kuril Islands and territorial waters of Russia. The Russians "own" the Sea of Okhotsk, US submarine presence would be akin to the Russians operating a submarine in the Puget Sound or Chesapeake.
    Weight Doper

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Khen-Tuck-ee, USA
    Posts
    2,139
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Britain pioneered cutting sea bed cables back in the World War.

    From the Beeb in 2017.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-42367551

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    It's good that Britain pioneered cutting cables in World War One. The world has changed since some telegraph and radio lines were cut.

    https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/techn...ubject-concern

    If you want to take down a nation, remove its banking and communications.
    Weight Doper

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    6,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Start with the power grid, a key power generation plant or two and everything else eventually grinds to a halt…communications, water filtration/distribution, fuel supplies and food distribution.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Start with the power grid, a key power generation plant or two and everything else eventually grinds to a halt…communications, water filtration/distribution, fuel supplies and food distribution.
    One of the deep discussion on deployment... To wreck the world economy, start with taking out the east coast power grid. Take down Wall Street, DC, and the communication hubs of New York and Atlanta.
    Weight Doper

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    The Pacific Midwest
    Posts
    6,987
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    One of the deep discussion on deployment... To wreck the world economy, start with taking out the east coast power grid. Take down Wall Street, DC, and the communication hubs of New York and Atlanta.
    We had a project in school (back in the Middle Ages it seems now…designing the structural steel in a LNG storage tank), where we were given the location of all of the LNG storage tanks at the Henry Hub in SW Louisiana and made assumptions of what it would take to rupture both an empty and a full tank. It didn’t take long for us to ask the question…”Professor, if one tank explodes, wouldn’t it start some sort of chain reaction?”, as the tanks looked to be pretty close to each other.

    https://rbnenergy.com/henry-the-hub-...-gas-benchmark
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    We had a project in school (back in the Middle Ages it seems now…designing the structural steel in a LNG storage tank), where we were given the location of all of the LNG storage tanks at the Henry Hub in SW Louisiana and made assumptions of what it would take to rupture both an empty and a full tank. It didn’t take long for us to ask the question…”Professor, if one tank explodes, wouldn’t it start some sort of chain reaction?”, as the tanks looked to be pretty close to each other.

    https://rbnenergy.com/henry-the-hub-...-gas-benchmark
    Here's a no-shitter, I was one of the officers of the deck on the carrier TR during OIF. We were operating between Cyprus and Turkey which sees a lot of merchant traffic. I walked up to the bridge to take the watch and part of my routine was to use binoculars to assess the tactical situation. We were just 3000 yards from an LNG tanker. It was a large ship with three distinct "humps" that spelled out L-N-G. I called the captain and turned the ship to open up distance. They're floating bombs that would only need a shoulder-fired missile to ignite.
    Weight Doper

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Hillsdale NY
    Posts
    22,477
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Russia was more effective when their weapons were Facebook, the NRA and CPAC.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    14,575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Here's a no-shitter, I was one of the officers of the deck on the carrier TR during OIF. We were operating between Cyprus and Turkey which sees a lot of merchant traffic. I walked up to the bridge to take the watch and part of my routine was to use binoculars to assess the tactical situation. We were just 3000 yards from an LNG tanker. It was a large ship with three distinct "humps" that spelled out L-N-G. I called the captain and turned the ship to open up distance. They're floating bombs that would only need a shoulder-fired missile to ignite.
    What would you consider an appropriate distance from such a vessel? 3000 yards is less than 2 miles.
    La Cheeserie!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Northwest AZ
    Posts
    5,272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    What would you consider an appropriate distance from such a vessel? 3000 yards is less than 2 miles.
    No closer than 10 nautical miles. The person who had the watch before me thought LNG was a shipping line.
    Weight Doper

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    4,352
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Warfare has changed

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    No closer than 10 nautical miles. The person who had the watch before me thought LNG was a shipping line.
    That person must be an admiral by now....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How air conditioning changed the world
    By rwsaunders in forum The OT
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2017, 11:34 AM
  2. Has something changed?
    By bironi in forum The OT
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-08-2017, 12:05 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •