User Tag List

View Poll Results: Will you take the vaccine as soon as it is made available to your category?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

134 86.45%
  • No

21 13.55%
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2930313233343536373839

Thread: The Vaccine Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Vaccine Thread

Thursday will be two weeks post second shot of Moderna. Only notable side effect was soreness in the arm. As of Saturday morning our entire family is now fully vaccinated. 100K gravel ride this weekend, hunt test, summer almost here, things are looking up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Three of us got our second Moderna shot yesterday. My son (19) was totally unaffected. My wife and I had very sore arms during the day. Then last night both of us woke up with fever and chills. It would have been terrifying for us if we weren't prepared for it. I had been off the bike for the previous two days, but this morning whoop gave me a 1% recovery for 8 hours of sleep! Two more weeks and all four of us here will be fully vaccinated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I wish the messages were clearer from the government. CDC says vaccinated folks can go mask-free except in certain public transportation situations and air travel. OSHA still requires companies to report Covid 19 illnesses transmitted in the workplace to be reported. Even if the employer follows the OSHA guidelines to minimize spread such as moving workers apart, PPE, increased ventilation, and air exchange, the employer can still be liable if a transmission is traced to the workplace. This isn't done for other illnesses such as the flu. Companies are left with very few options other than keeping their employees in masks. My employer is considering letting fully vaccinated workers work without masks, but fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get Covid, it likely means a very mild case or asymptomatic. IMO, OSHA needs to drop the special Covid reporting criteria and treat it like any other illness. I'm in Arizona and it's getting hot, another summer with masks because of unclear guidance would suck.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    My employer is considering letting fully vaccinated workers work without masks, but fully vaccinated doesn't mean you can't get Covid, it likely means a very mild case or asymptomatic. IMO, OSHA needs to drop the special Covid reporting criteria and treat it like any other illness. I'm in Arizona and it's getting hot, another summer with masks because of unclear guidance would suck.
    The report of 8 infections of vaccinated individuals in the Yankees' organization is troubling. Conversely, I can't find another documented instance of a cluster of reinfections in a group of previously infected persons. There's speculation that reinfection could have been common in populations with high seroprevalence, ie, Manaus and India, but the data are still being analyzed. In any case, the hospitalization and fatality rates for breakthrough infections in the US are as high or higher than case rates throughout the Pandemic:

The C.D.C. said that as of April 26, of the more than 95 million people in the United States who had been fully vaccinated, it knew of 9,245 breakthrough infections. Of those, there were 835 hospitalizations and 132 deaths.

Breakthrough Infection Hospitalization rate: 9%. Breakthrough Infection CFR: 1.4%
    US Pandemic Hospitalization rate: 6.6% US Pandemic CFR: 1.8%

The numbers above seem to indicate that if you get infected with Covid-19 whether you're vaccinated (breakthrough) or not you'll have the same outcome. Of course, the hope is that the vaccine really will reduce infection rates by 90%.

Anyway, not questioning the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines and this is not an anti-vaxx angle or perspective, I just want my kid to be able to start K in the Fall without any overwrought restrictions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    The report of 8 infections of vaccinated individuals in the Yankees' organization is troubling. Conversely, I can't find another documented instance of a cluster of reinfections in a group of previously infected persons. There's speculation that reinfection could have been common in populations with high seroprevalence, ie, Manaus and India, but the data are still being analyzed. In any case, the hospitalization and fatality rates for breakthrough infections in the US are as high or higher than case rates throughout the Pandemic:

The C.D.C. said that as of April 26, of the more than 95 million people in the United States who had been fully vaccinated, it knew of 9,245 breakthrough infections. Of those, there were 835 hospitalizations and 132 deaths.

Breakthrough Infection Hospitalization rate: 9%. Breakthrough Infection CFR: 1.4%
    US Pandemic Hospitalization rate: 6.6% US Pandemic CFR: 1.8%

The numbers above seem to indicate that if you get infected with Covid-19 whether you're vaccinated (breakthrough) or not you'll have the same outcome. Of course, the hope is that the vaccine really will reduce infection rates by 90%.

Anyway, not questioning the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines and this is not an anti-vaxx angle or perspective, I just want my kid to be able to start K in the Fall without any overwrought restrictions.
    How many breakthrough infections are never recognized. Bill Maher was fully vaccinated and tested positive as part of a protocol for a show. He never felt sick or symptomatic. If he hadn't been tested, would he have ever known? How many folks were asymptomatic during the height of the pandemic? My son attends the Naval Academy and was sick with Covid in January. Since then, he has had a full recovery and has received his vaccines. Masks are no longer required on campus. It will make for an interesting case study if pursued.

I carry a mask in town. If the business requires a mask, I will respect that and wear one. Otherwise, unless I'm at work, I'm not wearing one. I'm five weeks past my second Moderna.
    Weight Doper