Thread: US Womans Soccer 4th World Cup

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: US Womans Soccer 4th World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post

.... I'll make up numbers, but let's say the ladies get 12% of a billion dollars and the fellas get 8% of six billion dollars. Are the guys underpaid? Should they demand the same percentage the women get? If, someday, the women generate as much revenue as the men, should their percentage go down?
    Title 9 has benefits reaching beyond collegiate sport. Taking that model to international sport would have huge ramifications to woman rights on a global scale. If male soccers don't like sharing I be happy to tell them to find another job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    I wonder...if Ms Rapinoe said "Make America Great Again" and wore a MAGA hat while accepting her awards, would you still be glad of her noise making?
    Or imagine that it was 4 years ago and she said that she wouldn't meet with President Obama. In either case, she would not be celebrated like she is now.

My biggest problem with her statements is that she said them before the team won the WC. IMO, while the tournament is still going on a player should keep their mouth shut. I feel that as a representative of the country one should represent all Americans and not just some. Once it's over, then she can say anything she wants, as is her right.

1: the 13-0 Thailand game. I know you don't let up at that level, but the celebrating of every single goal was not IMO showing good sportsmanship.
    2: Ms Rapinoe political statements. I don't agree with her opinion, and that's my right. I agree that she has the right to say what she wants - and I have the right not to watch her play.
    3: The "teacup" move vs the UK. Again, show some class.
    +11ty billion.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I was rooting for The Netherlands in the final. I would have loved to have seen the US Team taken down off of their high horse.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Or imagine that it was 4 years ago and she said that she wouldn't meet with President Obama. In either case, she would not be celebrated like she is now.

My biggest problem with her statements is that she said them before the team won the WC. IMO, while the tournament is still going on a player should keep their mouth shut. I feel that as a representative of the country one should represent all Americans and not just some. Once it's over, then she can say anything she wants, as is her right.

+11ty billion.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I was rooting for The Netherlands in the final. I would have loved to have seen the US Team taken down off of their high horse.
    Weak sauce.
    Go back to watching Lou Dobbs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Title 9 has benefits reaching beyond collegiate sport. Taking that model to international sport would have huge ramifications to woman rights on a global scale. If male soccers don't like sharing I be happy to tell them to find another job.
    I'm not ready to blame the players; I don't know that the male soccer players have been given the option. Have they? Is it the case that the women are paid less because the men won't accept less? If so, yeah - I'd send them packing too.
    -Jasper

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got some pearls and fainting couches for sale, CHEAP, for those offended by the USWNT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post
    I'm not ready to blame the players; I don't know that the male soccer players have been given the option. Have they? Is it the case that the women are paid less because the men won't accept less? If so, yeah - I'd send them packing too.
    Title 9 has benefits reaching beyond collegiate sport. Taking that model to international sport would have huge ramifications to woman rights on a global scale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Crashburn View Post
    I've got some pearls and fainting couches for sale, CHEAP, for those offended by the USWNT.
    It's not about being offended. Nor is it about Rapinoe's politics and outspokedness, which I heartily endorse. USWNT have a history of being sore losers (Hope Solo vs Sweden at Rio) and shitty winners (Thailand of course and Lindsey Horan at the post-England interview). Not everyone needs to aspire to being Lionel Messi, but if you want to be Ronaldo then there will be plenty, myself among them, who will cheer your losses and want to throw our collective beer at the screen when the U-S-A, U-S-A chanting begins.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

while i care about the politics and all the nonsense, its not what gets me with this team, they are just humans, mostly 20 something humans, kids really

id just want to see beautiful football, and they didnt play beautiful, they played efficient. too many penalty goals, not enough team goals. i have a problem with the ugly way they play, i find it offensive a professional coach can take that level of talent and make them so boring as a whole. its just philosophy, winning is cool, but winning in style and beautifully like the French men did, now thats what the World Cup is about.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    It's not about being offended. Nor is it about Rapinoe's politics and outspokedness, which I heartily endorse. USWNT have a history of being sore losers (Hope Solo vs Sweden at Rio) and shitty winners (Thailand of course and Lindsey Horan at the post-England interview). Not everyone needs to aspire to being Lionel Messi, but if you want to be Ronaldo then there will be plenty, myself among them, who will cheer your losses and want to throw our collective beer at the screen when the U-S-A, U-S-A chanting begins.
    Point taken but I think plenty of the offended ARE reacting to Rapinoe's politics and god for forbid profanity. I did a quick search for Tim Thomas, the Boston Bruins goal tender who refused to visit the White House after they won the Cup in 2011. Guess what crickets.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123