Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tractors

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tractors

Nice collection of tools there Wayne. I might like a stab at that excavator when you're done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    The Kubota L2550 is a great machine. I've never owned one, but a friend has and will never part with it.

I have a Ford (New Holland) 1520 hydro with loader and backhoe and it's been a great machine. The hydro is especially good with loader work going into and out of the pile. I recently bought a 1920 (shuttle-shift trans) for doing large areas of brush hogging. It's also great. My implements include flail mower, brush hog, rear carry-all, front loader (both machines), York rake (with gauge wheels - you NEED wheels) and rear grader blade. With these machines, I rough mow about 8 acres, finish mow about 3 and do lots of in-the-woods work, and clear snow. Having two tractors is a luxury, but when it's hot and you just want to get things finished, having that ability without swapping implements is a real joy.

I have no regrets with my machines. When I was shopping around for my first tractor - about 15 years ago, I made the following observations:

1. If you're buying solely for resale value purposes, buy a John Deere
    2. If you're buying to get the best value, buy a Ford (New Holland). These were/are made by Shibaura (Japanese). I'm frugal, so that's where I landed.
    3. If you're buying for the best quality, reliability AND resale value, buy a Kubota. Whenever I look at Kubotas, they always have a little more material in the highly stressed areas.

I just bought a Kubota Mini-Excavator to do some additional tasks that the tractors struggle with. I couldn't be happier.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" óJustin Robinson

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    When I have time to kill I frequently walk around the airport where I work in south Chicago. It's a quality walk to keep the blood flowing. Last year I happened upon this in an apartment parking lot at W. 63rd and Latrobe Ave. Not that tractors are unusual in my world of rural cycling, but this wasn't what I expected to see in the heart of south Chicago. Perhaps a farmer had traveled to the city looking for fame and fortune, found it, and no longer needed his or her John Deere.
    If you're walking around on W. 63rd, I hope you have continued west a few blocks to the New Warsaw restaurant. It was one of best ways to kill time on MDW layovers. I still remember the sign on the lunch buffet that said something to the effect that "...management reserves the right to determine when you have had all you can eat."

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    The Kubota L2550 is a great machine. I've never owned one, but a friend has and will never part with it.

I have a Ford (New Holland) 1520 hydro with loader and backhoe and it's been a great machine. The hydro is especially good with loader work going into and out of the pile. I recently bought a 1920 (shuttle-shift trans) for doing large areas of brush hogging. It's also great. My implements include flail mower, brush hog, rear carry-all, front loader (both machines), York rake (with gauge wheels - you NEED wheels) and rear grader blade. With these machines, I rough mow about 8 acres, finish mow about 3 and do lots of in-the-woods work, and clear snow. Having two tractors is a luxury, but when it's hot and you just want to get things finished, having that ability without swapping implements is a real joy.

I have no regrets with my machines. When I was shopping around for my first tractor - about 15 years ago, I made the following observations:

1. If you're buying solely for resale value purposes, buy a John Deere
    2. If you're buying to get the best value, buy a Ford (New Holland). These were/are made by Shibaura (Japanese). I'm frugal, so that's where I landed.
    3. If you're buying for the best quality, reliability AND resale value, buy a Kubota. Whenever I look at Kubotas, they always have a little more material in the highly stressed areas.

I just bought a Kubota Mini-Excavator to do some additional tasks that the tractors struggle with. I couldn't be happier.
    Thanks Wayne, great post!

I looked at a Ford 1710. It was at a used equipment dealer. Nice tractor in terms of size and design, but that particular example was a bit rough, and I understand support is getting a little harder to come by.

After looking at various clapped out brush hogs for the past couple months, I ponied up for a new one today. A basic Woods RC5. I'm going to use it a lot, so it seemed like a good place to spend a little extra.

How do you clear snow in the winter? The blade? I also got a good deal today on a rear blade, so bought one of those for driveway clearing. 6ft, they told me it should be able to handle 6-8" of snow without too much trouble.

Last weekend, I got a like new CountyLine carry all for $100. I'm going to build a platform on that, for hauling chainsaws and other tools out to the north 40.

Also shopping for a PTO driven chipper. I plan on clearing out a lot of saplings this winter, and I think that would be really useful. Anything in the 4" range will become a fence post...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post

Also shopping for a PTO driven chipper. I plan on clearing out a lot of saplings this winter, and I think that would be really useful. Anything in the 4" range will become a fence post...
    Craigslist is dead. All the action is on Facebook Marketplace now. Found a chipper on Sunday, a Wallenstein BX40. Bought it from a contractor up in the Poconos. He clears lots for home construction and quickly moved on to something bigger. This is like new and was sitting in his garage for a decade or more. The modern equivalent is over $3,000...

So I'm set for a while. I see a log splitter in my future at some point, and I'll want a post hole digger by the time spring comes around, but I'm good for a while.

For me, this is turning into the seven shoe wardrobe thread, except with three point hitch equipment...
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the pleasure of using a wood splitter earlier this year. Totally great. However, don't leave it outside. The owner of the one I used had just gotten it rebuilt after leaving it outside all year. I forget what was replaced but seems like it was anything rubber. Sort of seized up. Seemed to me like a no brainer that you'd garage it.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything lives inside. Plenty of space.

Also, everything is going to be PTO driven off the tractor. Getting a rototiller, post hole digger, chipper, etc. are all cheaper as stand-alone units, but then you've got all these 5-10hp engines to maintain. I paid more than I would have needed to for a chipper to get a PTO model. PTO driven splitters are actually a little cheaper than their gas powered equivalents, as its just hydraulics, no gearbox. But I need to add rear remotes to run one. Winter project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Also, everything is going to be PTO driven off the tractor.
    I like PTO attachments. I also like the safety illustrations. Be careful!

5.gif
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think its any more dangerous than riding a bicycle. But yeah, there are plenty of times where I stop and think through stuff. That sometimes leads to not doing what I'd originally intended. Its essential to respect what can go wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a Valby chipper that, when properly tuned, will take an 8" tree and spit it out. A logger friend has a big one that he can load with his truck boom that will take a 100' tall tree and do likewise. Chippers are a pain to maintain. Changing the blades in mine is an all-day affair. Nothing about it it easy. But when you are clearing land they are invaluable, because you don't have to drag anything far, or make piles.

Check out local rentals of chippers before you buy. I bought an American log splitter with a 5 horse Honda. This does a good job for anything I don't want to use a maul on. There's a local John Deere dealer that rents implements. Post hole diggers don't get much use, so I rent when I need to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, changing the belts is an all-day affair. The blades and anvil are fairly straight forward. To be clear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upon further consideration, I'm not going to be getting a splitter. I'll rent when I need one. I figured out that I don't need the rear remotes to run one, but that the cycle times would be really long, due to the relatively small capacity of my tractors hydraulic pump. You can get a PTO driven hydraulic pump, but then you have to run the engine at PTO speed and splitting wood consumes an awful lot of fuel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ran the chipper for the first time yesterday. Loved it. Very satisfying. I've got a 4 acre field that needs 20-30 feet of brush and saplings cleared all the way around the perimeter. I'm about 1/3rd of the way there. Leaving strategic clumps of brush so as not to completely remove the bird habitat and various deer shelters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love a chipper. Bringing branches to the slash yard is no fun at all.

I rented a dude and his splitter to do 4 cords for me this year. I paid him $150. Well worth it. He won't stack it, but that is no big deal.

The woodpile is steadfastly guarded from the scourge that is chipmunks by this dude.

Also I had to chain up the quad to plow the 12" we got over night a few weeks back: Joe on Instagram: “Easily a foot of snow and still dumping. #colorado #snow #hondatrx5”

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$150 to split 4 cords seems super cheap! What kind of wood is that? Glad to see it is being kept safe...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks like spruce

you have a masonry heater?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It'a a pile of lodge pole and other assorted wood. Most of it was from my yard, but I got one cord from the dude... you can never have enough wood.

I have a wood stove, works like a charm!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had about 10" of snow on Thursday. The rear blade did the trick. A lot of the time was my learning curve in figuring out the best places to push the snow, and sequencing. Also being interrupted to drag someones car out of the ditch who had no business trying to drive up the road.

I could definitely see how a snowblower would make things go faster, but now is the exact wrong time to be buying one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plowing when the ground is not frozen is an art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wood chipper is awesome. Taking a 30' tall 3" diameter sapling and making it disappear in 15-20 seconds is a trick that never gets old.

I've been doing a lot of clearing. There is a path now for crossing the creek into the fields on the other side, and a way to actually drive into those fields with getting into dangerous uneven ground. I should have everything brush hogged in another few weeks if the weather continues to cooperate.

We also have a lot of tree of heaven, and their best friend, the lantern fly. There are three main stands of tree of heaven, I've taken out one, which is about 40 trees so far. I probably have another 60-70 to go. Lots of triclopyr to kill the stumps and root systems (started this process in the fall). Goal is to clear and burn them all before the end of April when the eggs start hatching...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234