Thread: Subaru and Head Gaskets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Subaru and Head Gaskets?

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    My afternoon included a conversation with the Assistant Service Manager who had "come over from our Toyota dealership" in the past six months. We had about a 15 minute conversation in which I explained my family's loyalty to the Subaru brand and wanted his honest opinion. This is the summary of what he had to say:

- He would advise against putting $6,000+ into the 2009 Outback because even if I do only more service bills are to come on an older car
    - He could care less if we buy another Subaru or other car because as a salaried employee it is not like he will make a commission on the sale
    - They have more than enough service business already so he is not worried about fixing older Subarus like ours so we might as well get rid of it
    - The 4cyl and 6cyl head gaskets fail at about the same rate
    - It is the engine design - boxer style - that is more prone to this failure or "wearing out" of a service part (his words) than V or inline motors
    - The 6 cyl repair is actually more expensive because the engine is larger, there is more to take apart, and it is stuffed into the same engine bay as the 4cyl so there is more labor cost
    - Even if you do the engine head gasket replacement, you might only get another 3-4 years since the metal has deformed so many times the new gasket will not last as long

Maybe I just need to get a corvette with a pushrod V8. Those engines are inexpensive to fix, last forever, and have more power than anyone could ever need. Any chance it will fit into an older outback? The figured out how to cram it into the BRZ.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Walberg View Post
    Before doing the wheel bearing, check your brake pads.
    Sometimes the minder tab on the brakes makes a sound a bit like a wheel bearing.
    You mean the "Universal Pedestrian Warning System" aka warped brake rotor?

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I had a 1998 Legacy Outback that had it's head gasket issues at 125,000.

- 2006 Outback Sport , no issues, great car, my favorite Subaru. Sold it with 75k miles.
    - 2011 Forester, no issues sold it at 75k miles.
    - 2015 Turbo 4 Cyl Forester. Sold it at 60k miles. A/C not great, otherwise ok.

For the first time since 1998 we have no Subarus. Got a 2019 Cherokee trailhawk for the wife. So far the car is fun; locking rear diff, 285HP 4Cyl turbo & nice interior. The Jeep logo fell off the rear door and the trim is falling off after 2 months... doesn't bode well.

-Joe
    Have you see the crash test videos for the Grand Cherokees? Yikes.

Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    V90 I presume.

In the 3 years and 3 months we have been in Boston/Brookline, our garage has managed to scratch, dent, or otherwise damage every panel on the 2009 Outback at this point. One time it was so bad they had to replace an entire fender. In addition, every other panel and the hood have been painted in this timeframe. This is worse than we experienced in NYC garages and NJ. That is saying a great deal because this was my wife's daily driver from 2009-2015 and she parked in a high school parking lot every day next to the students. So, when we do purchase a new car, it is not going to be anything really nice.

Thanks for the thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

V60 actually. They changed the rear end design.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks better than the previous V60.

I had the 2012 S60 which was the first year it came over to the states but you may already know it from your previous Volvo car thread. We sold it before we left NJ but when we went back to being a 1 car family and keeping the Outback made sense (at the time).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first car in 1986 was a 1980 Subaru GL(I believe), blew its head gasket in January. Cold as hell walk home with a car full of friends. I felt bad too because my aunt gave me the car and I always thought I wasn’t caring for it right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice looking car. We recently dumped our Grand Cherokee for a V90 Cross Country and it's better in every way other than off roading, which we don't do too often. The new V60 looks great too.

And to stay on topic, my Subaru's head gasket is fine. Though it's only been 5 months.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had an Outback as a rental a few weeks ago. It was a great car, easy to drive and park, and very comfortable. I had a 2010 Forester that I never liked. Nothing particularly wrong, just underpowered and uncomfortable. It was good in the snow but that's about it. The Outback would make me buy another Subaru.

That said, my new Expedition is the greatest road trip vehicle ever. It's YUGE but gets 23 mpg on road trips with all my stuff inside.

I rode past your winter place on Labor Day Weekend, there was a nice Audi in the driveway.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    I had an Outback as a rental a few weeks ago. It was a great car, easy to drive and park, and very comfortable. I had a 2010 Forester that I never liked. Nothing particularly wrong, just underpowered and uncomfortable. It was good in the snow but that's about it. The Outback would make me buy another Subaru.

That said, my new Expedition is the greatest road trip vehicle ever. It's YUGE but gets 23 mpg on road trips with all my stuff inside.

I rode past your winter place on Labor Day Weekend, there was a nice Audi in the driveway.
    I wish you had said something, that would probably be Scot and Karen. They are moving back from St. Louis and they have been staying off and on over the summer as they build a house down by South Mountain. Just had a note tonight, they are getting into their place as we speak.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I wish you had said something, that would probably be Scot and Karen. They are moving back from St. Louis and they have been staying off and on over the summer as they build a house down by South Mountain. Just had a note tonight, they are getting into their place as we speak.
    I just figured the neighbors were spreading out while you were gone. I didn't think about contacting you since it was hot and you're Canadian.
    I heart burnt bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I take back everything I said earlier because Subarus Suck!

Brought the 2009 Outback Limited 4cyl. in for brakes/rotors and was called back with an additional $6,000 in repairs: power steering pump leaking, bushings, ball joints, front CV boots and axles, and the dreaded head gasket. This is not even including the timing belt we will need at 105,000 which is about a $700 job. Does not seem worth putting almost $7,000 into a 9 year old car with 96,000 miles even though cosmetically it is almost perfect.

I was upset and then became angry when my wife reminded me of this (I must have blocked it out)....

We got rid of our 2000 Outback Limited 4cyl. at about 105,000 miles (not 125,000) because we got hit with a similar bill for service work just around the time the timing chain needed to be replaced. This was after at 80,000 miles the head gasket needed to be replaced so we replaced the water and fuel pumps as long as they had the motor basically taken apart.

We bought them both brand new so in our experience, the 2000 lasted 9 years and 1 month and the 2009 lasted 9 years and 4 months before it was not worth repairing them; see a pattern here?

Anyway, looks like we are doing the brakes and power steering pump to get us through the winter and will keep an eye on the head gasket. We will dump the car in the spring and get something new. Two of my brothers gave up an purchasing new and keeping cars so now they only lease. They found that it costs about the same over a 9-10 year period but they get a brand new car every 3 years and do not have to deal with all the service issues that start showing up as cars pass the 7 year/90,000 miles point; It is about the financial impact of a deprecating asset as well as the aggravation of the service issues.

Sorry for the rant.
    it sounds like all the rubber parts started failing about the same time. That isn't super unusual but I would make sure you aren't storing the car near something that makes a ton of ozone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I just need to get a corvette with a pushrod V8. Those engines are inexpensive to fix, last forever, and have more power than anyone could ever need. Any chance it will fit into an older outback? The figured out how to cram it into the BRZ.
    Corvette motors are actually expensive (like $4k), but the 3rd and 4th gen small block (LS) series motors GM puts into pickup trucks are dirt cheap. Junkyards will sell you a cast iron 5.3L V8 for <$200. If you scrounge, you might even find an Escalade or Silverado HD with a 6.0L aluminum block for that much.

But you should be able to make it fit. Guys have stuffed that motor into the WRX. You'll lose AWD doing it the way they did though.

Wrx LS1 Swap Subframe kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    You mean the "Universal Pedestrian Warning System" aka warped brake rotor?

- Garro.
    I just thought that was the ABS working...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    it sounds like all the rubber parts started failing about the same time. That isn't super unusual but I would make sure you aren't storing the car near something that makes a ton of ozone.
    You mean like an urban car garage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You mean like an urban car garage?
    more than just that. I would try to keep it away from anything with big electrical coil windings like motors or transformers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is called Boston. Boston seems horribly hard on cars. Worse (IMHO) than NYC.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a V70 for commuting up the Taconic to our place in the Berkshires. Put me to sleep routinely. Engine harmonics? Also ate brakes. No stick was available.

Subarus are popular here in the Hilltowns, but the head gasket is considered routine maintenance at 100K. Toyota Matrix is a better choice, or used to be.

I keep two beaters in various states of decomposition for the winter, and for the dogs, who now number five. I had nothing to do with any purchase but offering a weak smile, and I am the one who cares for them.

I have a nice car I drive sometimes, because it's the only place in my life I can control, and keep clean. No kids. No food. No dogs.

I think I will give up on that car soon. Grunge is my lot in life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    We had a V70 for commuting up the Taconic to our place in the Berkshires. Put me to sleep routinely. Engine harmonics? Also ate brakes. No stick was available.

Subarus are popular here in the Hilltowns, but the head gasket is considered routine maintenance at 100K. Toyota Matrix is a better choice, or used to be.

I keep two beaters in various states of decomposition for the winter, and for the dogs, who now number five. I had nothing to do with any purchase but offering a weak smile, and I am the one who cares for them.

I have a nice car I drive sometimes, because it's the only place in my life I can control, and keep clean. No kids. No food. No dogs.

I think I will give up on that car soon. Grunge is my lot in life.
    Our landlord in Hillsdale joked that in the country you accumulate vehicles and dogs. Sometimes, he said, the vehicle comes with a dog. And vice versa.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmmm, guess I’ve been lucky. I drive a 2003 wrx that just cracked 200k. No head gasket issues. I do have a power steering line dripping on the turbo tho...
    My name is David Moeny