User Tag List

Thread: sea kayak ? What should I know

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default sea kayak ? What should I know

Since I know live in front of the mediteranean see I'm interested in spending some time on the water. I liked Paddling on still lakes in Switzerland but not sure how much I'd like it when it starts to be a bit wavy. What should I know about it, I've never done kayak ? I currently have a bit of storage room but not sure if I'll stay in my current location next year so I'd rather have a solution that is not too storage consuming. Are inflatable ones any good or should I just forget about it ? I'd like to be able to go duo with my wife or a daughter if possible.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: sea kayak ? What should I know

Don't get one of these....

Epic Kayaks Australia | Surfski, Kayaks and Paddles Expert...unless you are prepared to dedicate some serious time to learning to stay in them.

Really tippy! A whole bunch of friends went through a phase of ownership. I had a quick go, and i don't think i ever got my feet in. I seriously thought about just swimming back in and pointing to where his kayak was. I'm all for needing to learn a new skill, but you get tired trying to climb back on for the 1,000th time. Did i mention they were tippy?

A nice wide slow sea kayak is what i'd be looking for!
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not to be a Nervous Nelly here, but when you talk about open water kayaks where weather, tides and currents can make navigation more complicated, you really have to think about the age and abilities of your daughter, and how soon she will be able to manage herself in what could become a fairly challenging environment. Once you have decided when that will be, that will determine whether you get a single or a double kayak.

You'll be looking at touring kayaks. These range from being more all-purpose boats - longer than the typical kayak but wider & with more rocker for mobility than a sea kayak might have - to sea kayaks that are made to go swiftly in variable conditions while carrying a load in water-tight storage and a stern-mounted foot-controlled rudder. The sea kayaks tend to be very long, making a rudder for steering a requirement, made out of fiberglass and other composites versus roto-molded polyethylene. The polyethylene takes a beating a lot better than a kayak constructed of a harder but perhaps less forgiving material, but a stiffer, slipperier material goes through water faster.

When I sold boats, the polyethylene kayaks were what 99.99% of people needed. Necky, Perception, Dagger were brands I sold, and they were all nice boats. However, my experience with those brands are now ancient history. I am sure everything is different.

What I would suggest is starting with a polyethylene kayak for one person with a day-touring style design. Look for one that emphasizes open water (the sea/ocean versus a lake) with potentially unpredictable conditions as part of its design. Watch for events run by kayak brands where they bring lots of boats for people to try out. Truthfully, the best way to start is by renting a kayak with a group and getting a hands on orientation covering the things you will need to be a safe boater as well as techniques you will need to practice until you have the skills to save yourself in a surprise bad situation. I can't emphasize the last part - boat safety - enough. Things happen quickly on the sea.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for being a nervous nelly...

white-shark-kayak-peschak03.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot for your input! Right now it is only a rough idea indeed, joining a club and renting seems to be the best option for a start.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_5944.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Thanks a lot for your input! Right now it is only a rough idea indeed, joining a club and renting seems to be the best option for a start.
    I've owned and own almost every type of kayak including roto molded, inflatable and folding

The literally biggest question WRT sea kayak is "How much storage do you have"

Sea kayak is just about the best thing in the whole damn world

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_6709.JPG

Seriously, this was one of the most beautiful mornings I've ever witnessed.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com