User Tag List

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011
Results 201 to 212 of 212

Thread: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

  1. #201
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    14,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Ahhhh Matt got that Chris Reeve. Mmmm mmmm. You have good taste. Between that and the Benchmade I'd say you are set for life or until you get bored ;)
    The collector in me also wants a CRK Inkosi, but between my Mnandi, Sebenza 21 small, Impinda, and Benchmade Valet, it would be absolutely redundant (or even more so than those four already are). There's also the Benchmade Mini Grip that lives with my hiking gear and the pile of fixed blades and Case and Buck folders I inherited from my grandfather. So, yeah, I'm definitely set for life.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  2. #202
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    23,809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    The collector in me also wants a CRK Inkosi, but between my Mnandi, Sebenza 21 small, Impinda, and Benchmade Valet, it would be absolutely redundant (or even more so than those four already are). There's also the Benchmade Mini Grip that lives with my hiking gear and the pile of fixed blades and Case and Buck folders I inherited from my grandfather. So, yeah, I'm definitely set for life.
    But wait, gentlewoman's folding knife for Mrs. Matt?
    I've given Mrs. TT old school Case folders at different times.

  3. #203
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    14,657
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    But wait, gentlewoman's folding knife for Mrs. Matt?
    I've given Mrs. TT old school Case folders at different times.
    Good thinking. I'll get on that.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

  4. #204
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    6,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Picked this guy a while back and just now posting it, Spyderco Chaparral. If I were going to have only one knife, this would be it. It's a damn near perfect office worker EDC knife.

    • It's small, and doesn't take up much pocket space, especially for a Spyderco, where the spydie hole usually puts a big hump in the blade making it take up quite a bit of volume.
    • The half choil is a very effective way to give you a full four finger grip when the knife is open in a small package when closed.
    • The carbon fiber over G10 scales look great and have just a bit of texture, enough to make them a little grippy, not enough to shred your pants going in and out of the pocket.
    • Deep carry wire pocket clip means it doesn't draw attention to itself in the pocket.
    • The blade is the star of the show though. The steel is CTS-XHP which is a very good, tho not amazing, steel. Most importantly the blade is THIN - only 0.08" thick stock with a full flat grind that is nice and thin behind the edge. It's a blade that cuts. So many modern pocket knives have overly thick blades. For normal 'edc' tasks like opening packages and cutting up chicken nuggets for my toddler I don't need an 1/8" thick blade. Simple blade geometry means a thinner blade works better when it comes to cutting...that's all I need my knife to do, I'm not using it as a pry bar or a screw driver. I do not understand why so many people carry a 3" pocket knife that has thicker stock than my 8" chef knife...
    • It is a back lock. It has an extra internal stop pin not found in most back locks which helps eliminate any vertical blade play that happens in some. Lockup is super solid and secure.
    • Being a back lock, it doesn't flick open, and it doesn't 'drop shut'. But it is easy to open and close one handed, just not as fast as a frame/liner/axis lock type knife - it's not a fidgety knife. But it's also an inherently simple mechanism, and there is beauty in simplicity. The pivot doesn't loosen up over time, there's no springs to break.


    They make a few different versions of this knife, all have the same awesome blade. The cheapest is the plastic handled 'light weight' version which is under $100. There's a few expensive titanium scaled versions that are over $200. This one was $130 if my memory is right.



    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  5. #205
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    1,885
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    probably 50k beers opened. easily $10k dollars worth of bike parts boxes opened over the year. opened soup last weekend on a day hike. i'd be lost without this one!

    knifer.jpg

  6. #206
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    16,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Resurrecting this thread, because my wife just got me this. Titanium case, stainless blade. 3.5" blade. Has a locking tab and clip on other side. Can be opened with one hand. Nice!

    Update: The blade on this knife is so sharp I have now cut my hands 4 times without realizing it. I just see blood drops appear and find I've sliced myself again. Last time the knife was in my pocket, folded and locked. I somehow got the skin on the side of my index finger snagged on the point of the knife as I reached into my pocket. I think I need to cut a few cinder blocks to make it a bit safer.

    Actually, I will have my friend the jeweler/knife sharpener take a look at it to see if the sharpness can be toned down a bit without making it a butter knife. Not sure what he's done with my other knives, but they come back very adequately sharp for working with but never this katana-level cut-head-off-in-one-swipe sharpness.
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:05 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  7. #207
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    6,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Update: The blade on this knife is so sharp I have now cut my hands 4 times without realizing it. I just see blood drops appear and find I've sliced myself again. Last time the knife was in my pocket, folded and locked. I somehow got the skin on the side of my index finger snagged on the point of the knife as I reached into my pocket. I think I need to cut a few cinder blocks to make it a bit safer.

    Actually, I will have my friend the jeweler/knife sharpener take a look at it to see if the sharpness can be toned down a bit without making it a butter knife. Not sure what he's done with my other knives, but they come back very adequately sharp for working with but never this katana-level cut-head-off-in-one-swipe sharpness.
    Don't dull it on purpose!! If you're cutting yourself while using it, that's your fault, just be more careful.

    Cutting yourself while it's closed in your pocket? That's huge design flaw. You should not be able to cut yourself on a closed folding knife.

    A sharp knife is a safe knife. Unless it cuts you while closed...
    Last edited by dgaddis; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:56 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  8. #208
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    16,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Don't dull it on purpose!! If you're cutting yourself while using it, that's your fault, just be more careful.

    Cutting yourself while it's closed in your pocket? That's huge design flaw. You should not be able to cut yourself on a closed folding knife.

    A sharp knife is a safe knife. Unless it cuts you while closed...
    Not dulling the knife. Making it rationally sharp. There is no reason to have a knife that sharp. I am getting cut without any pressure on the knife edge. If I am out working in the woods and the knife slips, I am going to take my entire thumb off, not just cut myself. I don't need a sword, and I am not using it for shaving.

    It sliced a leather work glove just by drawing the blade across it.
    Last edited by j44ke; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:47 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  9. #209
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Middle GA
    Posts
    6,920
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Not dulling the knife. Making it rationally sharp. There is no reason to have a knife that sharp. I am getting cut without any pressure on the knife edge. If I am out working in the woods and the knife slips, I am going to take my entire thumb off, not just cut myself. I don't need a sword, and I am not using it for shaving.

    It sliced a leather work glove just by drawing the blade across it.
    I mean...don't put the edge on stuff you don't want to cut haha. You may want to pick up a more outdoorsy knife for doing work in the woods. With the shape of the handle on that knife and the lack of any texturing it's inherently slippery, fine for 'normal' edc stuff but not so great for harder use. Something like a Spyderco PM2 would be a better fit.

    Spyderco Paramilitary 2 Knife - Black G-10 | Satin | Blade HQ
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

  10. #210
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Southern Oregon
    Posts
    1,248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Update: The blade on this knife is so sharp I have now cut my hands 4 times without realizing it. I just see blood drops appear and find I've sliced myself again. Last time the knife was in my pocket, folded and locked. I somehow got the skin on the side of my index finger snagged on the point of the knife as I reached into my pocket. I think I need to cut a few cinder blocks to make it a bit safer.

    Actually, I will have my friend the jeweler/knife sharpener take a look at it to see if the sharpness can be toned down a bit without making it a butter knife. Not sure what he's done with my other knives, but they come back very adequately sharp for working with but never this katana-level cut-head-off-in-one-swipe sharpness.
    awesome knife, and wow, thats sharp. whats with you and sharp knives anyway? werent you talking about getting cut by kitchen knives too? haha
    Matt Zilliox

  11. #211
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    16,388
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    awesome knife, and wow, thats sharp. whats with you and sharp knives anyway? werent you talking about getting cut by kitchen knives too? haha
    Yeah those are sharp too - the Japanese ones. Take a fingernail off no problem. But this one is perhaps sharper. I think I could literally shave with it.

    One thing that needs doing is reshaping the point. It should have more of a drop. Too "up". It is within the sides of the handle when folded, but the tip should be curved more downward so it is guarded better by the upper rear bolt.

    I'll post photos after it gets reworked. It is a great knife, besides the blood loss. Worth fine tuning.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  12. #212
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    129
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Recommend to me a gentlemans pocket knife

    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I have a CRKT Squid pocket knife and it is a blunt nosed knife. I really like it as a tool, but that means it does a lot of things not having to do with cutting or slicing. I kind of grub around with it, dig here and there, pry, etc. but the blade stays nice and sharp so I can cut whatever I need to. But I would like some length to it, especially if I was getting a fixed blade knife, because what I am cutting and the blade and my hand are all just a bit too close together. Eric Estlund has one he calls a Foraging Knife, which is sort of the perfect descriptor and looks like what I envision I would want - a foraging knife.

    Photo taken from Eric's Winter Cutlery website, without permission so hope he doesn't mind.

    I have this one exactly, early run from Eric - I use it constantly.

    It comes with me on vacation as a catch all kitchen knife too.

    Can't recommend it enough.
     

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Similar Threads

  1. Bar Tape: what do you recommend?
    By Mud in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 08:23 PM
  2. What cables do you recommend?
    By Chad in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
  3. rapha gentlemans race - east coast style
    By DCT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-07-2010, 08:44 AM
  4. Rear Disc Hub: What would you recommend?
    By SpeedyChix in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 08:26 PM
  5. Recommend a fitter in Dallas, TX
    By VertigoCycles in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 07:09 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •