Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

"There's one witness they won't bring in front of us," Jordan said. "The guy who started it all — the whistleblower."

Welch followed by turning to the panel, "I'd be glad to have the person who started it all to come in and testify. President Trump is welcome to take a seat right there."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    I assume you are referring to Judge Dabney Friedrich's 7/1/19 ruling on a motion by said 'troll farm' in the matter of United States of America v. Concord Management & Consluting, LLC.
    Uhh...yeah. That is the case that I quoted and provided a link.

If so, the Judge absolutely did NOT rule "that there was no apparent evidence that the Russian 'troll farm' was connected to the Russian Govt."
    You are correct, I should have said that 'she stated in a ruling that there was no apparent evidence....". As the linked article stated, "In a July 1 opinion, unsealed Monday, U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich said Barr and Mueller inappropriately linked a defendant, Concord Management and Consulting, to the Russian government, even though prosecutors have not expressly drawn a connection between the firm and the Kremlin." But then much of the Mueller report is that way, long on innuendo but short on fact.

In regards to a genuinely held belief that the troll farm isn't connected to the Russian government, I'm reminded of that old saw about a bridge being for sale.
    To say that our views on this are polar opposites would be an understatement.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not journalism per se, but reporting of relevant news.

Another member of Trump's circle is going to prison. I wish I understood the cult of personality surrounding him and why people are willing to destroy their own lives for him. What is their actual goal?

Flynn, Manafort, Cohen, Papadopoulos and now Roger Stone. All convicted felons now and either in prison or going to prison. For what end?

Trump ally Roger Stone convicted of lying to Congress - BBC News
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by choke View Post
    Uhh...yeah. That is the case that I quoted and provided a link.

You are correct, I should have said that 'she stated in a ruling that there was no apparent evidence....". As the linked article stated, "In a July 1 opinion, unsealed Monday, U.S. District Judge Dabney Friedrich said Barr and Mueller inappropriately linked a defendant, Concord Management and Consulting, to the Russian government, even though prosecutors have not expressly drawn a connection between the firm and the Kremlin." But then much of the Mueller report is that way, long on innuendo but short on fact.

To say that our views on this are polar opposites would be an understatement.
    I clicked the link but it requires registration so I couldn't read the article. I didn't read the text you quoted, either. Instead, I went straight to the source - the ruling itself. The words "no apparent evidence" do not appear anywhere in the article. Nor does the word "apparent," in fact. I encourage you to read the ruling. Separately, I have a bridge to sell. It's guaranteed to produce a very, very healthy return. PM me if you're interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Not journalism per se, but reporting of relevant news.

Another member of Trump's circle is going to prison. I wish I understood the cult of personality surrounding him and why people are willing to destroy their own lives for him. What is their actual goal?

Flynn, Manafort, Cohen, Papadopoulos and now Roger Stone. All convicted felons now and either in prison or going to prison. For what end?

Trump ally Roger Stone convicted of lying to Congress - BBC News
    Couple things:

1) Nearly everyone in his orbit was on the periphery of establishment Republican politics, and for good reason as they spent most of their time saying the quiet part loud about GOP policy.
    2) None of them actually expecting to win, this was all a grift for the resulting TV/book deal for Trump that might roll into another couple hotel deals with shady Eastern European financing that are definitely not money laundering.
    3) Access to the levers of power. Amazing what people will deal with to have that seat at the table, even if does ruin your reputation for all time. But none of these folks were ones with particularly good reputations to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    I clicked the link but it requires registration so I couldn't read the article. I didn't read the text you quoted, either. Instead, I went straight to the source - the ruling itself. The words "no apparent evidence" do not appear anywhere in the article. Nor does the word "apparent," in fact. I encourage you to read the ruling. Separately, I have a bridge to sell. It's guaranteed to produce a very, very healthy return. PM me if you're interested.
    That's odd, when I read the article it wasn't behind a paywall but it is now.

Regardless, even the ruling itself states that "But the indictment, which alleges that private Russian entities and individuals conducted an “information warfare” campaign designed to sow discord among U.S. voters does not link the defendants to the Russian government. Save for a single allegation that Concord and Concord Catering had several “government contracts” (with no further elaboration) the indictment alleges only private conduct by private actors" (page 6).
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.