User Tag List

Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Question For the Westchester NY Members

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Question For the Westchester NY Members

    I'm mapping out a route for an overnight bike trip using the South and North County trails to get Ward Pound Ridge. The current iteration is about 40 miles starting in Yonkers but I'd like to have a shorter route so I can take my young son.

    There are various trail head parking areas along the trailways, some are nothing more than a gravel pull-out and others are parks. For example, there's the Great Hunger (Games) Memorial along the Saw Mill River Pkwy, and the library in Briarcliff Manor. There's one up in Chappaqua too.

    Are these places safe to park a car overnight? I went to each of them yesterday during a recon ride and didn't see a single "No Parking Sign" not even at the library, but that doesn't mean it's legal or safe. The Memorial looks like it could be a prime spot for late night hooliganism!I'm reluctant to call the PD and ask.

    I appreciate your input. Plan would be to drive up in the morning, unload, ride to WPR camp and return.Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I'm mapping out a route for an overnight bike trip using the South and North County trails to get Ward Pound Ridge. The current iteration is about 40 miles starting in Yonkers but I'd like to have a shorter route so I can take my young son.

    There are various trail head parking areas along the trailways, some are nothing more than a gravel pull-out and others are parks. For example, there's the Great Hunger (Games) Memorial along the Saw Mill River Pkwy, and the library in Briarcliff Manor. There's one up in Chappaqua too.

    Are these places safe to park a car overnight? I went to each of them yesterday during a recon ride and didn't see a single "No Parking Sign" not even at the library, but that doesn't mean it's legal or safe. The Memorial looks like it could be a prime spot for late night hooliganism!I'm reluctant to call the PD and ask.

    I appreciate your input. Plan would be to drive up in the morning, unload, ride to WPR camp and return.Thanks
    I'd call and ask the PD. I think it is more or less a crap shoot. The PD will be able to tell you. The Memorial may be a no go since County Parks have a dawn-dusk policy.

    I think the parking lot at Sleepy Hollow School may be your best option.
    or
    If they let you park overnight in Sam's Club on Sawmill Road in Elmsford might be an option.

    but again, all luck of the draw.
     

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Yes, I thought about the parking lots for the big box stores etc but also figured they might be the most likely to have a towing service. I'd also expect the PD to say "no way" because the last thing they want to promote is out of towners parking at these places.

    I have parking in Yonkers but 38 miles is a bit much for an 11 year old.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    A friend who lived in Tarrytown and then Ossining up until 6 months ago says:

    "I’d say the Briarcliff library is super safe - nothing ever happens in Briarcliff - cushiest cop job location ever. If it’s a weekend, no one will notice or care about an overnight car there."
    Evan Marks

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    South of No North
    Posts
    4,988
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Another option is to park in a nearby train station parking lot—lots of people leave cars overnight. If it’s on a weekend, I don’t think anyone checks parking passes, at least not in my town.
     

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Thanks everyone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    There is also a parking lot right off the Saw Mill River Parkway North, 'Eastview' exit # 23 (pretty sure it's exit 23).
    The lot is marked and comes up before reaching the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp. The North County Trail is right there.
    This lot is probably 2-3 miles north of Sam's Club in Elmsford, and south of the Briarcliff Library by a similar distance.
    Also if you made a left at the light at the end off this same exit ramp, in about 50 yards there is a 'Park and Ride Lot' on the right. This lot near the Tarrytown Lakes has very easy acess to trail also.

    I can check signs there or elsewhere if you wanted.

    Brian
     

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    To add to Happy's suggestion, Goldens Bridge might be an option. It looks like free weekend parking.

    MNR Stations

    It's obviously close to your destination, but you can enjoy some nice riding around North Salem, Cross River, Ridgefield.

    You could ride through Waccabuc, and Mt Lakes Park, loop around Pound Ward and come in through Honey Hollow. It's hilly.
     

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Quote Originally Posted by blitespeed View Post
    There is also a parking lot right off the Saw Mill River Parkway North, 'Eastview' exit # 23 (pretty sure it's exit 23).
    The lot is marked and comes up before reaching the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp. The North County Trail is right there.
    This lot is probably 2-3 miles north of Sam's Club in Elmsford, and south of the Briarcliff Library by a similar distance.
    Also if you made a left at the light at the end off this same exit ramp, in about 50 yards there is a 'Park and Ride Lot' on the right. This lot near the Tarrytown Lakes has very easy acess to trail also.

    I can check signs there or elsewhere if you wanted.

    Brian
    That's the only lot I didn't check because there was a bit of a traffic jam on the trail that I sped around to avoid.
    This is all good info. Looks like I need another recon ride to hop off the trail and check these places out.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    774
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    i live a block from the tarrytown lakes extension that leads to the start of the north county trail...you can park in my culdesac if that helps

    there is a big lot right by the lakes, but i've never seen cars parked overnight

    i'd like to do a similar trip with my kids so happy to help!
     

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    thanks funcrusher

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Quote Originally Posted by blitespeed View Post
    There is also a parking lot right off the Saw Mill River Parkway North, 'Eastview' exit # 23 (pretty sure it's exit 23).
    The lot is marked and comes up before reaching the traffic light at the end of the exit ramp. The North County Trail is right there.
    This lot is probably 2-3 miles north of Sam's Club in Elmsford, and south of the Briarcliff Library by a similar distance.
    Also if you made a left at the light at the end off this same exit ramp, in about 50 yards there is a 'Park and Ride Lot' on the right. This lot near the Tarrytown Lakes has very easy acess to trail also.

    I can check signs there or elsewhere if you wanted.

    Brian
    Thank you again, Brian. The Park and ride lot is perfect. I would not have found it without your tip, because it is not labeled on any map; it looks like it’s part of the maintenance facility.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Follow Up Questions now that I know the route I designed on RidewithGPS is garbage because it involves a long stretch on NY35 which has zero shoulder.....

    The only other road into WPR is 121 which also has almost no shoulder but is a bit quieter in terms of traffic. If I take that to 22 South (Old Post Rd), is there a logical and Safe set of roads to get back to the North County Trail?

    (I went North on 22 this afternoon in my car and that just takes you back to Rt35). I've only been on Old Post for short stretches during a Signature Saturday ride, not familiar with how I'd work that back toward the West to get back the the MUT while avoiding busy or narrow roads.

    ...or maybe I should skip WPR and find something different!?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Follow Up Questions now that I know the route I designed on RidewithGPS is garbage because it involves a long stretch on NY35 which has zero shoulder.....

    The only other road into WPR is 121 which also has almost no shoulder but is a bit quieter in terms of traffic. If I take that to 22 South (Old Post Rd), is there a logical and Safe set of roads to get back to the North County Trail?

    (I went North on 22 this afternoon in my car and that just takes you back to Rt35). I've only been on Old Post for short stretches during a Signature Saturday ride, not familiar with how I'd work that back toward the West to get back the the MUT while avoiding busy or narrow roads.

    ...or maybe I should skip WPR and find something different!?
    If you are willing to ride gravel, there are quiet roads which can thread your way back to 100. The roads are narrower but not much traffic.
     

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    If you are willing to ride gravel, there are quiet roads which can thread your way back to 100. The roads are narrower but not much traffic.
    Yes, please suggest some street names if you know them.
    I was fine on 100. Busy road but very wide shoulder. 35, on the other hand, is busy with almost no shoulder and spots were I'd have to be directly in the lane on a curve. Not my idea of fun particularly while riding solo where cars might not see me. The original route came from a bike shop's overnight trip. I'm not sure how they slept at night knowing they'd be on that road with 20 people accustomed to riding the West Side bike path.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    back to N CTY - A bike ride in Town of Lewisboro, NY

    quite a bit of gravel, only 2 yucky parts in my opinion. DCT, Pete and others should know these roads and can chime in.
    drag the man and get the camera view.

    Google Maps
     

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Thanks Doug

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Dirtville
    Posts
    13,996
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    back to N CTY - A bike ride in Town of Lewisboro, NY

    quite a bit of gravel, only 2 yucky parts in my opinion. DCT, Pete and others should know these roads and can chime in.
    drag the man and get the camera view.

    Google Maps
    That's a pretty good route.
     

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    How do the dirt roads (Salem, Katonah, for example) tolerate the rain?
    I haven’t ridden up there after a day of off & on rain, like the weather we’re having this weekend. Don’t want to drive 45 mins for a slop fest.
    Thanks.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,592
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Question For the Westchester NY Members

    Answering my own question for the benefit of anyone who stumbles upon the thread. The roads hold up nicely after a day of scattered showers. The rain actually seems to keep the dust under control. No major puddles or muddy sections.

Similar Threads

  1. Calgary members
    By TMB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-22-2013, 03:47 PM
  2. Question for the LBS members
    By bironi in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 08:09 AM
  3. Bavarian Members
    By Martin T in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 11:49 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •