User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 94

Thread: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Dear Forum,

    I need your collective advice and opinions: I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle. Here's the background: I'm turning 40 and right on time, my mid-life crisis hits! Being a good planner, I've taken the MSF course, gotten the motorcycle endorsement on my license and have been riding a scooter to the train station for work and around town for two seasons now. I have a new Moto Guzzi V7 Stone in mind, though something used would fit the bill as well. I'm prepared, though honestly, scared to purchase something that could potentially do a lot of harm to me. Thoughts, suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Antonio

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    algood, tennessee, USA
    Posts
    1,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    2004 Triumph Sprint RS Blue and proud, ridden to you anywhere in the world. Will trade for bike stuff.. It is the 3rd to last bike i have, i have liquidated 25 in thel last year. Jump on it and tell me where to ride it.!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Quote Originally Posted by rowdyhillrambler View Post
    2004 Triumph Sprint RS Blue and proud, ridden to you anywhere in the world. Will trade for bike stuff.. It is the 3rd to last bike i have, i have liquidated 25 in thel last year. Jump on it and tell me where to ride it.!
    Getting off the net until this moment of weaknes passes.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    algood, tennessee, USA
    Posts
    1,744
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Buy it, trade it!!! I will ride it back to Orlando, snowy as fuck here in TN. It is not fair..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Puyallup, WA
    Posts
    3,565
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    I have a Suzuki SV650s, and would recommend any of the small V-twin "sporty" bikes to anyone. I've always thought the Guzzi's looked a little goofy with the engine design. The Honda NC700's have some things going for them.

    At the latest Int'l Motorcycle show, though, I found my next* motorcycle -- Triumph Thruxton. Sweetness.

    * Don't let the word "next" fool you into thinking it'll be any time soon.
    DT

    http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

    Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

    "the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

    "Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Depends on whether you have any dependents.

    Cars are too fast now, people impulsive and inattentive in them, road maintenance pretty poor on highways around here. No.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    667
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    That Guzzi would be a good first bike. It's not likely to bite you in the ass. I loved my Triumph Speed Triple while I had it. It was docile enough to noodle around on yet more than capable of hooning around when the urge took hold. The Guzzi will be of a similar mindset, albeit at about a 7, versus the Triumph's 11.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    I did something similar 6-7 years ago. First motorcycle since a dirt bike as a kid I went and bought a Moto Guzzi V11 Scura. It was awesome. Loved it to death, just did not have enough time to ride it. Go for it Guzzi's rock!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    3,448
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Motorcycles are great fun. With that Moto Guzzi, you are in the price/power/performance/position range of:

    Ducati Monster 696
    Triumph Bonneville T100
    Suzuki SFV650
    Yamaha FZ8

    I have had/ridden most of these and all are great starter bikes. If you want something more esoteric like the Guzzi or Duc, then make sure you have a real dealer close by for service/parts and get ALL the safety gear, helmet, gloves, padded jackets/pants, boots, etc....

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Okanagan Valley, BC. Canada.
    Posts
    2,857
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    I sort of want a MC and have since my teens. I have never bought one, and now that I have two kids, a wife and house, etc it is unlikely to ever happen.

    I have always liked the bikes like the old Suzuki 250's, etc. I had pretty much given up hope of ever seeing something reasonable again.

    Standing at the gas station yesterday, I saw one of these roll in ...

    Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - DR-Z400 - 2013 - DRZ400SM

    Lovely. Exactly what a bike should be. Powerful enough to do anything, not so powerful you die on the way home from the dealership. Sort of the Hampsten Strada Bianca of the MC world.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    29,480
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Good for you man that will be fun. My first bike was a Honda 500 Silverwing. It was inexpensive to own and stupidly reliable and boring. If I had started with the R100 or the K75 that followed I'd have saved time.
    Man I loved that K bike. Predictable and easy to own. They are easy to find well loved for not alot of money and won't kill you because it does not want to go 130 mph in 3rd gear in 3.5 seconds.
    Want a clue? Read the classifieds, it is a very telling thing that newish riders sell bikes that do not belong in the hands of new riders.

    Quote Originally Posted by amg View Post
    Dear Forum,

    I need your collective advice and opinions: I'm thinking of getting a motorcycle. Here's the background: I'm turning 40 and right on time, my mid-life crisis hits! Being a good planner, I've taken the MSF course, gotten the motorcycle endorsement on my license and have been riding a scooter to the train station for work and around town for two seasons now. I have a new Moto Guzzi V7 Stone in mind, though something used would fit the bill as well. I'm prepared, though honestly, scared to purchase something that could potentially do a lot of harm to me. Thoughts, suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Antonio

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Antonio - how big are you? The V7 is a lovely bike and Guzzis are stone simple so good bikes to live with. But V7 is small in size (not displacement) for anyone who rides something bigger than a 54-55cm.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - DR-Z400 - 2013 - DRZ400SM

    Lovely. Exactly what a bike should be. Powerful enough to do anything, not so powerful you die on the way home from the dealership. Sort of the Hampsten Strada Bianca of the MC world.
    Don't be fooled -- that thing is so capable in the twisties in the wrong hands it can kill just as fast.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    3,293
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    BTW, they can bite you -- I had 160,000 accident free miles in 20 years come to an end in February. My front tire hit a patch of ice when I was leaned over in a left-hander. Happened so fast I was on the ground before I could process what happened. Only injury was a turn signal and a clutch lever, but still!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Another real world story -- splitting lanes (legal here) a 16 year old took me out.

    There are all kinds people out there and they're all in cars.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Thanks for the advice, all. Riceburner, I certainly do intend to wear all the gear, all the time - no exceptions. I've read most of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough and plan to read it again, cover-to-cover. An advanced motorcycle safety course is on the agenda as well. I agree, buying a somewhat exotic motorcycle does require having an authorized dealer nearby, which I do (about 20 miles away).

    My approach has been not what is the minimum required to get into motorcycling, but rather what else can I do to learn and understand more. I plan to approach this very slowly, step by step.

    Antonio

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Quote Originally Posted by amg View Post
    Thanks for the advice, all. Riceburner, I certainly do intend to wear all the gear, all the time - no exceptions. I've read most of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough and plan to read it again, cover-to-cover. An advanced motorcycle safety course is on the agenda as well. I agree, buying a somewhat exotic motorcycle does require having an authorized dealer nearby, which I do (about 20 miles away).

    My approach has been not what is the minimum required to get into motorcycling, but rather what else can I do to learn and understand more. I plan to approach this very slowly, step by step.

    Antonio
    Just one quick thing and I'm out: the gear lulls you into a false sense of security and there's nothing intellectually to prepare you for what really happens out there. Low side slide into a tree at speed -- you're a bag of jelly in leathers.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    NoVa
    Posts
    974
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    First of all, are they dangerous? Yes, they can be. But I can't see how anyone on a bike forum can argue that a motorcycle is any more dangerous than cycling. I've done over 50mph on a bike, wearing only bib shorts and a styrofoam helmet riddled with huge air vents. When I ride the moto, I have full gear; armored jacket and pants, boots and a full face helmet. I'd highly recommend you do, too.

    Guzzi's are cool, but if you don't have a good dealer or a competent shop nearby, I'd go with something that's easier to get serviced. But I understand being bitten. I own an MV Agusta Brutale. Like bikes, you can't go wrong with Italian motorcycles for passion, performance and panache.




  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Christian,

    I'm 6'0". Yes, the physical size of the V7 Stone is a concern to me. It does appear that I may be a bit too tall for it. This appears to be a problem with motorcycles: the motorcycles best suited to tall riders are usually larger in displacment and power and not suitable for beginners.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Oakland Ca
    Posts
    3,331
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: OT: Getting a Motorcycle

    Quote Originally Posted by burgess1108 View Post
    First of all, are they dangerous? Yes, they can be. But I can't see how anyone on a bike forum can argue that a motorcycle is any more dangerous than cycling. I've done over 50mph on a bike, wearing only bib shorts and a styrofoam helmet riddled with huge air vents. When I ride the moto, I have full gear; armored jacket and pants, boots and a full face helmet. In general, life is dangerous. You can live it, or cower inside.

    Guzzi's are cool, but if you don't have a good dealer or a competent shop nearby, I'd go with something that's easier to get serviced nearby. But I understand being bitten. I own an MV Agusta. Like bikes, you can't go wrong with Italian motorcycles for passion, performance and panache.
    If you're referring to me: duh. The inevitable 97% cheerleading comments will tell the OP what bike to buy. I'll be the 3% with a dose of reality.

    I've had a Ducati and don't need to sell job this guy. He'll make his own choice.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Motorcycle frames and such..
    By sure in forum VSalon HandMade Gallery (non-cycling)
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 05-08-2017, 09:31 AM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •