Thread: Mindblown

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mindblown

From the article:

To perform the observation, the astronomers battled bad weather and glitchy electric grids. They donned oxygen tanks and climbed three-mile-high mountains to escape the interference of Earth’s atmosphere. Then they spent the two years parsing literal truckloads of data, some of which had to be shipped on hard drives from the South Pole and defrosted outside a supercomputer facility at MIT. Finally, they tested their findings against the results of a million simulations of what a black hole might look like, until at last they spotted a match.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mindblown

Pretty remarkable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was given Stephen Hawking's Answers to the Big Questions book and that led me to Carlo Rovelli's The Direction of Time because Hawking was talking about stuff where I knew all the words but when they were combined like that the concepts lost me totally, I was flipping through Rovelli's book in the store and I thought I saw something that would help me understand Hawking and by the time I was done it was worse. What these guys wrap their heads around kills me not in a small part because they're doing all this super sophisticated math and coming up with answers they didn't expect and then the answers make sense to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I was given Stephen Hawking's Answers to the Big Questions book and that led me to Carlo Rovelli's The Direction of Time because Hawking was talking about stuff where I knew all the words but when they were combined like that the concepts lost me totally, I was flipping through Rovelli's book in the store and I thought I saw something that would help me understand Hawking and by the time I was done it was worse. What these guys wrap their heads around kills me not in a small part because they're doing all this super sophisticated math and coming up with answers they didn't expect and then the answers make sense to them.
    ^^I'm glad I'm not the only one haha!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember reading A Brief History of Time, and grasping relativity. By the time I tried explaining it to my wife my grasp had loosened!

I find black holes much easier to understand, at least at the simplest level: Keep increasing gravity until escape velocity exceeds the speed of light.
    It's all the implications of that much warping of space (and more critically time) that makes my little head ache with wonder.

The sheer volume of careful work behind that image is hard to comprehend. I'm so glad there are humans willing to work so hard to get something right.

And what that image is actually showing... OMFG.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This, however, is still my favorite recent science story: Gravitational Waves Detected, Confirming Einstein’s Theory - The New York Times

"Chirp!"
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Mouse knows all, sees all.

p414_v_v8_ac.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son has had a copy of The Theory of Relativity since he was unintelligible, more or less around four years old. We were driving to school one day years later, maybe four, and he explained it to me.

My step sister's son is in the last year of his doctoral program in Physics, and he's been sharing articles he's published with Eamon, who comments on them. Max says he'll be ahead of him in ten years.

I just encourage his imagination. He talks about going to MIT, and then Mars. I tell him to lay off the Xbox.

And yeah, blown totally.

I can think of a few people I'd like to throw into it as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have always been and remain fascinated by the universe beyond our planet. This goes back to childhood and seeing the last Apollo missions and Skylab and Apollo-Soyuz and the Space Shuttle, etc. This is a great thing they have done making this image.

Since I have so much down time in odd places I watch a lot of YouTube videos and I happened upon the Crash Course series on astronomy. It makes the subject fun and explains some pretty complicated themes in simpler terms. It's a good intro from basics like the planets the atmosphere and gravity and the Sun, etc., to deeper concepts like the warping of space/time near a black hole consistent with Einstein's Theory of Relativity to the extremes of deep time and Hawking Radiation.

I recommend this series for a fun, easy-to-understand introduction to astronomy. What we've learned in the past few decades since my childhood and today is amazing and I'm sure it's only scratching the surface. Exciting findings are coming every day and this image of a black hole is likely just the beginning of much more fascinating things.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile Re: Mindblown

Those astronomers are pulling our leg. That's just a blurry image from Interstellar...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a bagel painted on black velvet.
    Evan Marks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Those astronomers are pulling our leg. That's just a blurry image from Interstellar...
    Haha -- I watched a lecture from one of the MIT people who did the number crunching to create the image, and they started the talk with, "why not just use an image from Interstellar?"

As it turns out, it's REALLY complicated. They had to install and synchronize atomic clocks at every telescope site, install new sensors, including at the Antarctic site, and shuttle petabytes of data back and forth on airlines because there isn't enough bandwidth anywhere on the net. Then they had to train the algorithms for arranging the time-synchronized pixels because with so few pixels being fed by any scope at any one time, they could have multiple image results masquerade as the bits they were reconstructing. So they had to train the software to have an idea of what an 'astronomical' image might be, but not train it so well that it ended up with... an image straight from Interstellar.

It is all so cool I realize I wasted my life, but am too dumb to have done any better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The universe...the mind boggles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My guess was that it would look like an anus. I wasn't too far.

50 years from now we will hear it was just a trick played by some scientists sitting nude on their smartphone and selecting the blurriest picture available.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 04-11-2019 at 01:20 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    My guess was that it would look like an anus. I wasn't too far.

50 years from now we will hear it was just a trick played by some scientists sitting nude on their smartphone and selecting the blurriest picture available.
    that like was with a smirk and a smile.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With my analogue cameras, I regularly took shots that looked very similar. I should have kept the prints. It could be the basis of a solo exhibit.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is all so cool I realize I wasted my life, but am too dumb to have done any better.

A great quote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is Katie Bouman explaining the process of resolving the image out of piles of data before the final image was actually produced.

Katie Bouman: How to take a picture of a black hole | TED Talk

More here on the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.888611a5df41
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to our program now.

A bit of the history of science that really makes me realize how much we've learned and, probably, how little we know: When do you think astronomers discovered that we're not just situated in a vast cloud of stars, but that we live in a vast cloud of stars that's a long, long ways away from other vast clouds of stars. "Galaxies" of stars, to coin a term.

When did this little factual nugget emerge?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Here is Katie Bouman explaining the process of resolving the image out of piles of data before the final image was actually produced.

Katie Bouman: How to take a picture of a black hole | TED Talk

More here on the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.888611a5df41
    Thanks for that. Anyone who thinks this blurry photo was simple should spend 10 minutes as Bouman explains what she and the team have done.

blackholepic.jpg

She's a rock star.
    ...and a U of Michigan EE grad, but that's no surprise!
    GO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast